Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can't find my dream watch :-(

nz Offline cafe_cyber

on: April 10, 2016, 10:13:21 AM
This is what I want:

1. analog face: because I find it quicker to understand hands positioned on a circle, than reading numbers such as 11:11:11

2. digital info line (for date, secondary time zone, alarm, countdown, etc.) but not in the middle of the analog face, for God sake! Why can we NEVER see advertising photos of analog watches showing the time in the x.hr 15.min position? Because the minute hand hides the date window of course  :rant:  So I want a 'digital info line' under or over the analog face.

3. a way to see the time at night: I can't understand the point of wearing a watch if you can't see it in the dark!

4. waterproof: let's say diving down to three meters depth

5. long life battery: I don't want to have to charge my watch every week, or even every month

CASIO had a small range of watches offering exactly all of the above (AQ150W, AW-48H). Sadly no longer in production.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now that 'smart' watches are available, with their changeable face, could this be the answer? For example https://sixcolors.com/post/2015/05/apple-watch-face-off-utility/. But battery life is still too short. I don't even want Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, SMS alert, heart beat sensor, 24/7 GPS coordinates of my girlfriend... I just want a watch that gives me the time and date / alarm in an easy manner. Why is that so complicated for manufacturers to understand  ??? ??? ???

* WATCH3.JPG (Filesize: 92.74 KB)
WATCH1.jpg
* WATCH1.jpg (Filesize: 161.46 KB)
WATCH2.JPG
* WATCH2.JPG (Filesize: 59.74 KB)
CASIO analog digital.JPG
* CASIO analog digital.JPG (Filesize: 41.52 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Can't find my dream watch :-(
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 12:09:23 PM
What about something like the Casio Telememo 30?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline cafe_cyber

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 12:30:55 PM

Def

Nice, but same problem as with all the other watches having a date window on the inside of the analog face. On that Casio Telememo 30, the hour and minute hands would hide the digital display when it's 6.35 am/pm or 7.25am/pm for example, making it very hard to read for long period. Hence why I want the digital display to be outside of the analog circle.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:44:49 PM by cafe_cyber »

gb Offline kakashi

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 04:07:50 PM
The only one I can think of that has a digital display that doesn't get blocked by the hands is the old seiko h558 / h601. The h558 is commonly referred to as the Arnie as it appeared in several of his films.

They're still around but rather pricey.
8374304186_7bdee8ded4_b.jpg
* 8374304186_7bdee8ded4_b.jpg (Filesize: 497.75 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 04:20:15 PM

Def

Nice, but same problem as with all the other watches having a date window on the inside of the analog face. On that Casio Telememo 30, the hour and minute hands would hide the digital display when it's 6.35 am/pm or 7.25am/pm for example, making it very hard to read for long period. Hence why I want the digital display to be outside of the analog circle.

Yeah, I get what you are saying.  The Telememo does have that problem, but not too bad as the hands are very slim and the digital readout is quite large, but yes, it does indeed cover the screen at times.  Kakashi has a good suggestion there, and that's about the only one I can think of.

I am becoming a big fan of smart watches though.  Perhaps this option from Victorinox might be worth looking into?  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65179.0.html

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 04:42:20 PM

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 05:47:29 PM
What about this tough solar aq-s800w?
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 07:26:30 PM

Easy to read good light, solar battery, multiband, you can still find thems on eBay, and all of those casios that you mentioned, you can find them there, new our used!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 09:54:09 PM
I offer an old Casio Analog with digital info line here, maybe it´s what you are looking for?!

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,63254.0.html

I do have a Timex with a digital info line on an analog face and various other Casio Analog / digitals, too. I just browsed this thread and read more careful to be able to offer alternatives.

On the modern AWG-M100 for example, there is a function that will move the hands out of the way of the digital subdials while using functions except timekeeping.

http://watchshock.com/archive/Casio/G-Shock/AWG-xxx/Casio_G-Shock_AWG-M100B-1A/

Some of the pathfinders/protreks keep teh lcd out of reach of the hands, too AFAIK.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 02:10:38 PM
I understand that you want analog, but my suunto core all black tics all te boxes except for analog watch face. As most digital watches it has a button that lights up the watch face and the secondary display doesnt get blocked by the hands. Battery last 12 months tons of functions and easy to use.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%