Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisher Space Pens

parnass · 361 · 29388

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Fisher Space Pens
Reply #330 on: January 04, 2021, 04:40:36 PM
Nice, loving that organiser

+1

Another model for me to try and adapt to my EDC.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #331 on: May 22, 2021, 04:48:18 AM
I have had a couple clicky space pens and looking to maybe try a Bullet model. How are they compared to the regular models?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #332 on: May 23, 2021, 06:12:18 PM
Almost indestructible, may be a bit slippy, as in escaping from your pocket. :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #333 on: May 23, 2021, 06:21:32 PM
I have had a couple clicky space pens and looking to maybe try a Bullet model. How are they compared to the regular models?
I have several of the bullet models, but actually none of the Fisher clicky models to compare.  I couldn’t justify the price of a Fisher clicky, when something like a Parker Jotter will take Fisher refills.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #334 on: May 24, 2021, 12:40:29 AM

Pabs is right. I've had more than one escape from me pocket. However, I love 'em and just try to be sure I'm carrying one in a manner that decreases the chance of 'pocket jump'.   :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:07:27 AM by Nix »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #335 on: May 24, 2021, 12:48:00 AM
I haven't lost a pen via pocket-jump yet. I'd say it's because I'm paranoiac and as such keep it in a nice zipped compartment. :ahhh

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #336 on: May 24, 2021, 01:06:26 AM
When not decorating the lawn?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #337 on: May 24, 2021, 01:15:08 AM
That was an entirely different thing, yea. :whistle:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #338 on: May 24, 2021, 01:37:50 AM
 :rofl:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #339 on: May 27, 2021, 05:24:00 AM
This thing is very slick and I can see it having my hands full trying not to lose this dang thing!
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #340 on: May 27, 2021, 05:51:10 AM
 :iagree:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #341 on: May 27, 2021, 11:47:53 AM
This thing is very slick and I can see it having my hands full trying not to lose this dang thing!

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #342 on: July 02, 2021, 10:59:11 PM
I ended up buying a pocket clip for my Bullet Space Pen but it slides off frequently. Any tips or tricks to keep it on?

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #343 on: July 23, 2021, 03:26:17 PM
I used a couple of small dots of gorilla glue on mine that I have a clip on.  Not ideal I admit but it worked.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #344 on: November 03, 2021, 04:42:10 AM
I tried gluing the clip with some adhesive and it kept sliding off so I just took some electrical tape and taped it on with better results.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #345 on: December 22, 2021, 01:21:11 PM
I ended up sending my pen back to Fisher for warranty work. Not only did they fix the clip, they also send a personalized letter saying the pen was checked over for warranty work but also sent me a complimentary refill!  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #346 on: December 22, 2021, 01:52:47 PM
Nice, I never sent my bullet in, I should send it in after New Years..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #347 on: December 25, 2021, 02:48:36 AM
I still use the 3 Fisher Space Pens pictured in my original 2016 post.  The pens remain in very good shape and are used daily.  I have replaced the original medium ink cartridges with Fisher's fine (PR4F) cartridges.  While I value being able to write at any angle and in cold temperatures, I must echo what a few others have said.  The writing quality is only mediocre, especially when the ink begins to come out in globs.  The writing quality is on par with the ball point pens give out for free at county fairs, banks, and trade shows.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #348 on: December 26, 2021, 06:08:30 AM
While I value being able to write at any angle and in cold temperatures, I must echo what a few others have said.  The writing quality is only mediocre, especially when the ink begins to come out in globs.
Spot on!

I am back to Fisher Bullets again.  I switched to cheaper Parkers for a few years, but they were less comfortable to carry and I ended up losing them more often (so close to a wash in terms of cost).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #349 on: December 10, 2022, 05:17:36 PM
Still not a fan of the Fisher inserts.  Truthfully I also never replaced nor contacted them.  I use whats been reliable for me, Zebra refills.  Not bashing Fisher just my experience see my post on page 6.  A failure is not a big deal but my was not good.  Not one but 2 failures at that.  I wanted to document my experience and while I guess I could have called Fisher I chose not to.  I solved it by using what had worked for me.  I'm still happy with my choice.  That said I was also not a huge fan of the writing experience.  I'm a lefty so the ink when it did work was eh, my fountain pens are less of a problem for me. 

As with everything, this is my experience YMMV. 

What I carry everyday is a cheap staples mini pen.  It rides in my front pocket in the leather slip.  Never an issue.  Random insert.  Its plastic and as you can see its beat up but it has not failed.     

The red pen is very similar to the bullet. It brass, it came with a random insert that I used up.  I believe I've had this since 2013/2014.  Its original insert has been replaced with a Zebra, never an issue.  I like the build in clip too.  Never an issue. 

My bullet is good but I rather carry my red one since it has a built in clip.  I use Zebra insert in my bullet and never an issue.  I don't carry this pen that often.  While the insert is reliable I choose the red pen over this one.  Maybe I am harboring some resentment  :) 

I should have also pictured my Manager.  I carried it for 10 years? The pen never had an issue.  Same goes for my Explorer plus I also carried a long time.  That pen also never had a failure.   

The gear I use must be ready when called upon.  A failure I can accept to a degree but 2 failures means that gear is a goner.  Yes its a pen but still its not worth the money spent if I worry about leaks.  I have made the adjustment so I can use the bullet case so its a win in my book. 

The random black pen with silver clip is used least.  I keep it around cause it is reliable tho I wont be able to use a Zebra insert when the ink runs out.     

Fisher certainly doesnt need my seal of approval.  They have a loyal following.  If Fisher wants to send me an insert I'd be happy to give it a go but if its gloppy ink then no thanks.  My Zebra is smooth writing. 

* IMG_7099.jpg (Filesize: 142.76 KB)

* IMG_7100.jpg (Filesize: 154.34 KB)

* IMG_7101.jpg (Filesize: 42.17 KB)

* IMG_7102.jpg (Filesize: 142.22 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #350 on: December 10, 2022, 05:18:40 PM
Dang, I just noticed my red pen says china.  I'd love to find more of these. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #351 on: December 18, 2022, 11:51:51 PM
Mrs. TJ and I just got back from vacation in Disney World. I signed the check in a French restaurant in Epcot one day with my Fisher Bullet pen and the waitress was very interested in it. I ended up talking to her about it for a few minutes and gave her their website to check it out.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #352 on: November 06, 2023, 12:48:38 AM
Anyone ever broken the pocket clip on an AG-7?

Looks to be a weaker design to the much lighter Parker Jotter

* 20231105_161511.jpg (Filesize: 254.42 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #353 on: November 06, 2023, 02:42:26 AM
Anyone ever broken the pocket clip on an AG-7?

Looks to be a weaker design to the much lighter Parker Jotter
Ouch.

I don’t have an AG-7, but as a Parker Jotter will take a Fisher refill, perhaps you can eat your cake and have it too…

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #354 on: November 06, 2023, 03:26:52 AM
Ouch.

I don’t have an AG-7, but as a Parker Jotter will take a Fisher refill, perhaps you can eat your cake and have it too…

Yeah, I already do that at work. I also carry a beater Chinese promotional pen that I put the Parker insert into. If anyone asks to borrow a pen, they get the beater. Funnily enough, I've been carrying that one for close to 10 years and the clicky bit is only starting to fail. The AG-7 is my non work EDC pen and was a gift from my wife. Probably a combination of wear and tear from my jeans pocket carrying location and 2 Year Old son playing with it. The Parker Jotter has much more metal at the stress point than the Fisher. Disappointing based on the difference in price between the two.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #355 on: November 09, 2023, 05:48:14 AM
Lifetime Warranty. I'm sending it in to the Australian Distributor for repair.
Fingers crossed

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #356 on: November 09, 2023, 02:24:18 PM
Lifetime Warranty. I'm sending it in to the Australian Distributor for repair.
Fingers crossed
Worth a shot.  Let us know how you make out.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #357 on: November 20, 2023, 11:10:02 AM
So, got a brand new pen in the mail today.
It's not the one I sent away thinking it would be repaired  :dunno:
I didn't get any questions about sentimental value or anything. Oh well, they are $175RRP here in Aus, so for just under $30 I have a brand new one.

* 20231120_181303.jpg (Filesize: 344.74 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #358 on: November 21, 2023, 04:31:54 PM
Glad to hear they sent you a new pen!
:tu:

Hopefully neither you nor your wife are too upset over the loss of the old one.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #359 on: November 22, 2023, 01:53:01 AM
I would have been happy to receive the same pen back with a new clip. The response was thus:

"The pen is not repairable. The clip is part of the internal assembly of the pen and it is not possible to disassemble the pen to replace the clip.
Nor is it economically viable to even attempt to do this as the cost far exceeds the price of a new pen."

Now if I was in the USA it may be economically viable and I disagree about the the clip being part of the internal assembly.
The economically viable part is probably more due to needing to send it back to the factory where they have the right tools.

Anyway, my wife's ok that it isn't the same one. It got plenty of use and pocket time, so a shiny new one is quite nice to have.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%