Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Explorer

gb Offline Pattas29

Explorer
on: April 13, 2016, 12:50:24 PM
Morning,

Does anyone EDC an Explorer model?

How do you like it?

Cheers

Ian

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Re: Explorer
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 01:08:12 PM
The explorer was my first knife, and I EDC'd that for a good four months. I found that it was perfect for either sheath or pocket carry. The quality was spectacular, as with all Victorinox knives, and it had plenty of tools.

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:12:47 PM
I use to EDC one and now EDC 2 varieties (Passenger and Woodsman) so that tells you the high regard I hold them in. The in-line philips is incredibly useful and the mag glass is IMO the funnest tool of the lot.

I'd recommend you get one.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

au Offline ljnoble

• The Land DownUnder
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 01:45:32 PM
I do on and off and I do really like it but for the money for a similar sized I prefer the deluxe tinker

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

From The Land DownUnder

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 01:53:17 PM
I have a couple of them, and one is in my EDC rotation. As mentioned above, it's a fun and useful tool which is comfortable in the hand.

us Offline Sharkey

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:02:27 PM
I've carried one for a couple of years and it's a great setup. 

The inline philips is a really good driver and the 4 layer thickness makes for a comfortable handle while driving a screw.  The driver is centered as well which also contributes to handling.

Get the plus model, the pen is nice to have as a backup and I've used the needle numerous times.

I've even used the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 04:10:22 PM
Explorer Plus is what I have and carried for a while.  Such a terrific set up and as my eyesight is not what it used to be the mag glass has been a terrific feature.  As others have said the inline phillips is awesome and made me change my preference vs backside phillips. 

Plus model gets you mini driver, pin, and pen all are great and very useful as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 04:20:33 PM
I have a few different models but the Scissors and the inline screwdriver are going to be the most important. I want the plus model and I have posted an add in the tools wanted section. Hopefully someone is looking to move one on.

Be carrying the Compact which is great. I have the super tinker, deluxe tinker, craftsman and swisschamp. But I think the Explorer looks like it might be the ideal EDC for me  :tu:

Ian

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 04:29:49 PM
Short story: I love mine - it is such versatile EDC

Long story: The first one I bought, I didn´t like that much. I don´t know why. It was just in my bag and came out when it was needed. But after getting more into knives and SAKs in special I started to appreciated that great setup of tools. It gives you a corkscrew in combination with a phillipshead screwdriver and it has scissors. And the usual suspects as well. So what´s not to like on the Explorer. I use to carry mine often.

Oh...  :worthless:

I don´t need a saw or small pliers too much. A file from time to time. But for the basic maintaining jobs around the house or in the office, the Explorer does just fine!
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 04:33:03 PM
Short story: I love mine - it is such versatile EDC

Long story: The first one I bought, I didn´t like that much. I don´t know why. It was just in my bag and came out when it was needed. But after getting more into knives and SAKs in special I started to appreciated that great setup of tools. It gives you a corkscrew in combination with a phillipshead screwdriver and it has scissors. And the usual suspects as well. So what´s not to like on the Explorer. I use to carry mine often.

Oh...  :worthless:

I don´t need a saw or small pliers too much. A file from time to time. But for the basic maintaining jobs around the house or in the office, the Explorer does just fine!
Sweet scales too H  :salute:

Here's a pic of mine with a bit adaptor mod I did;

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 04:36:06 PM
Looks well loved magentus!  :tu:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 04:38:58 PM
It is! My daughter found it in a junk shop and bought it for me for my birthday. It was pretty crudded up and the main blade is slightly bent, but after a clean I EDC'd it for a couple of years, before deciding that I wanted a wood saw too - then I made my Woodsman. The Explorer is probably my favourite easily available SAK and seems to enjoy a lot of love from forum members here.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 06:51:44 PM
Love the Explorer.  So useful to have a good Phillips driver handy.  And the Vic inline phillips is a good one, it works well on a lot of screws.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 06:52:07 PM
I carry mine on occasion, not for regular EDC. I have mixed feelings about the Explorer: heehaa for the philips and scissors, meh for the magnifier. Four layers is pushing the width limits for me. I prefer three layer alox or less.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 10:46:23 PM

The Victorinox Explorer Plus is my favorite SAK.  The four-layer profile is a little thick in the pocket, but it provides all of the tools I need for righteous daily living.  The magnifier gets more usage than one might expect, and the inline phillips is what God intended for mankind.  These are the ones I could find.  I have a few more floating around in various places.

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 11:47:40 PM
Lucky man powernoodle. Now i need to find one to see what all the hype is about  :tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 03:29:32 AM
The Explorer is like the Spirit...it's awesomeness isn't recognized until you have one for yourself. :cheers:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 11:33:19 AM
Well not that I needed anymore selling on this but if I did that is enough ha ha.

So what I want is an Explorer plus with black scales. Any of you gentleman have a line on where I can locate on in the UK?

Cheers

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 11:52:00 AM
Both http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/knives-multi-tools/swiss-army-knives/original-classics/victorinox-explorer-plus.htm and http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/explorer-black-swiss-army-knife/ claim to have them.  Haven't used AllOutdoors, have used SwissTool (but not for a while).

5% off at alloutdoor with discount code Save5 too. :tu:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:56:24 AM by hiraethus »

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 01:15:46 PM
By chance, I have the Explorer an edc run today. It's not perfect for my uses - I'd like a lock on the blade,  the nailfile/cleaner instead of the small blade and added Vic 91mm pliers - but it's very close. Scissors always more useful than anticipated and all celebrate the inline Philips! The explorer is my kids favourite sak but they want the plus scales for the pen and a light...

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 02:37:46 PM
By chance, I have the Explorer an edc run today. It's not perfect for my uses - I'd like a lock on the blade,  the nailfile/cleaner instead of the small blade and added Vic 91mm pliers - but it's very close. Scissors always more useful than anticipated and all celebrate the inline Philips! The explorer is my kids favourite sak but they want the plus scales for the pen and a light...

The Explorer seems like the perfect SAK for tickling a kid into going out exploring (maybe it's in the name...)! Except I could see the saw too but then things start getting thick...

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 02:48:00 PM
Nope not sure you will find anyone who loves the Explorer on MTO.

As for me while I really enjoy the Explorer it seems my wife has adopted it and made me put some sapphire plus scales on it.

Forgot to add this was my first Vic. A Wenger Handyman was the first SAK to make it through the mail to me in Afghanistan but I still consider this my first.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:49:36 PM by HarleyXJGuy »

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 02:51:14 PM
hiraethus you the man my friend. Just need to sell a couple of Alox solider when they arrive  :tu:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 03:28:07 PM
Well not that I needed anymore selling on this but if I did that is enough ha ha.

So what I want is an Explorer plus with black scales. Any of you gentleman have a line on where I can locate on in the UK?

Cheers

Seitz Kreuznach on Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-Swiss-Knife-Explorer-1-6705-3/dp/B001U557Z2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 03:42:27 PM
Cheers shibafu i spotted that one but when I read the description it doesn't seem to mention the plus or a pen in the tools included.  :tu:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 07:43:43 PM
Cheers shibafu i spotted that one but when I read the description it doesn't seem to mention the plus or a pen in the tools included.  :tu:

It is unclear on that, but the model number matches the Explorer Plus.  Also the non-plus model is only available in red according to the Vic catalogue.  So pretty sure it is the plus.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 07:54:50 PM
I have and do carry the Explorer constantly.  Aside from trying other sak's out for EDC, I always go back to the Explorer which has been my main EDC for a years or so now. 

Great tool set and as others may have said, the inline phiiips is great and so is the mag lens for us that don't quite see like we used to.  I personally use the mag lens for small print, splinters, looking at dates on old coins, etc.  It is very handy and a must for me!

I have a couple of them! LOL
OldExplorer_BSAscales.jpg
* OldExplorer_BSAscales.jpg (Filesize: 291.49 KB)
Explorers_yellow_sapphire.jpg
* Explorers_yellow_sapphire.jpg (Filesize: 230.04 KB)
in_box.jpg
* in_box.jpg (Filesize: 147.28 KB)
open.jpg
* open.jpg (Filesize: 285.44 KB)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:00:19 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 10:19:00 PM
the mag lens . . . is very handy and a must for me!

I agree.  It is analogous to a light, knife, Sharpie, SAK, etc., in that it does not become apparent how useful they are until you actually start carrying one.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 03:48:54 AM
the mag lens . . . is very handy and a must for me!

I agree.  It is analogous to a light, knife, Sharpie, SAK, etc., in that it does not become apparent how useful they are until you actually start carrying one.

Preach it Brother Noodle!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 02:46:46 PM
Lower down the page that question is ask and answered.  To be the plus version. 
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%