Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lego are awesome 31131

No Life Club Posts: 3,825
Re: Lego are awesome
« Reply #1140 on: January 14, 2020, 01:06:31 PM »
I attribute a lot of my childhood development to LEGO, that and a slingshot is about all you need  :hatsoff:
No kids so I'm not in the market, but living in a 3rd world country wrong end of an exchange rate I know how much the stuff costs  :facepalm:
Colleagues and friends that managed to breed are a different story, and I applaud them for going to the expense.

Both friends and colleagues have separately mentioned a chinese knock-off that looks identical down to the last detail......except for the LEGO brand.......and 25% the price. 
Anybody aware of this?
Is this like the Ganzos from the Byrd factory?
Just a very good fake?
Compatible?
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,752 \o/
« Reply #1141 on: January 14, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »
I hate those knock-off brands. Yes, there are a few proper ones with good quality bricks and their own set designs. Other brands make exact copies of official LEGO-sets and MOCs. And some of those brands are of such low quality it's almost funny. Except it's not funny.
Administrator Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,346 I am geek, hear me code
« Reply #1142 on: January 14, 2020, 08:45:04 PM »
Cool, it matches your user icon quite nicely.
I see them @ Amazon Germany for €14.99 right now ;)
it was 22euro when I checked before I grabbed it in the shop...now 14.99 of course.

As for knockoff sets, I have been tempted, especially on sets that I will likely build only once to display. Even if you have to buy a few correct pieces it's still a huge savings.

Currently I have no knockoff sets but do have some alternate branded stuff that does not exist in the lego world, I feel those sets are not taking anything away.

Listen to our Metal Radio Show: https://www.mixcloud.com/sexto9
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,672 Never gonna run around and desert the SAKs
« Reply #1143 on: January 24, 2020, 09:11:49 AM »

Both friends and colleagues have separately mentioned a chinese knock-off that looks identical down to the last detail......except for the LEGO brand.......and 25% the price. 
Anybody aware of this?
Is this like the Ganzos from the Byrd factory?
Just a very good fake?
Compatible?
To use a multitool analogy...
LEGO is Victorinox. You're paying for the 99.99% QC. The average person has never seen or heard of a genuine LEGO set or SAK that wasn't 100% correct, with missing or malformed parts.

The mega block guys are like a Chinese clone, with some interesting ideas and cheaper prices. They have much poorer quality control, and they aren't in a close-by country (from the local jobs, locally made stuff aspect).

And LEGO has paid for the construction of enough wind turbines that they're 100% green from the electricity aspect.

That's not to say not to buy that chinese clone.  ;)
They're the ones who have HALO, etc Lego-style sets.
They're mostly compatible, if the chinese bricks aren't the wrong fit (QC again).

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $31.00
PayPal Fees: $2.39
Net Balance: $28.61
Below Goal: $271.39