Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LONE WOLF T1

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
LONE WOLF T1
on: February 12, 2018, 07:51:06 PM
Here is a Lone Wolf T1 with S30V 3 1/8" blade, and G10 handle.It is a liner lock.
Click on 305.14 and 699.58 for full pictures.
GEDC0601.JPG
* GEDC0601.JPG (Filesize: 165.8 KB)
GEDC0602.JPG
* GEDC0602.JPG (Filesize: 418.25 KB)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:53:23 PM by VICMAN »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: LONE WOLF T1
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:04 PM
VICMAN,

You are killing me. STOP, STOP, STOP....

Were you like some sort of older brother of mine who was sent off to be raised by wolves?

I've got a T2. Best knife ever made. Why did they stop production?!?!? (I think they were bought out and shut down.)

Anyway, nice knife. I'm only sorry I didn't get a few other Lone Wolf designs when I had the chance. I'll try to post pics of the T2 later.....   :facepalm:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:04:06 AM
 :popcorn:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:05:24 PM
VICMAN,

Were you like some sort of older brother of mine who was sent off to be raised by wolves?

I've got a T2. Best knife ever made. Why did they stop production?!?!? (I think they were bought out and shut down.)

Anyway, nice knife. I'm only sorry I didn't get a few other Lone Wolf designs when I had the chance. I'll try to post pics of the T2 later.....   :facepalm:

as many other companies, they were ahead of their time.
Created by ex-workers from Gerber (including its president at the time) they mated together in Oregon ca.2001 to try and bring the most perfect, precise and custom knife design and engineering into manufacturing processes.  :tu:

They were pioneers in the OHO aspect of folders, one of the first to use S30V, creating state of the art folders, rugged and oriented to the "tactical" side.  ::)
They put Emerson and others to shame back in the day,  :o but there was no customer base or market who wanted that at the time,
Eventually Benchmade bought them in 2010 and took very bad steps with the company and decisions, (Gerber/Fiskars anyone?  :P) even though they came up with some of the best Benchmade "Non Benchmade" knives in their history, such as the BM Lone Wolf landslide,  :drool:

and in the end they invested too much in cutting edge technology and manufacturing, without gaining their money back, and that led to the dissolution of the Lone Wolf division of knives, like BM did with their "Red Series" or more recently their H&K knives... :oops:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:50:13 PM
VICMAN,

I used to have a T3 and I wish I would have never traded it.
They are a great knife.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:26:38 PM
So, I owe you guys a T2 shot.

I forget where I got this knife. I do remember it wasn't inexpensive, but then the quality and details blew me away. With just a quick glance, this knife might not seem like much of anything special, but I wasn't being hyperbolic when I said I thought this was the best knife large folder ever made. It really is that good. And that's no accident, it was designed by the brilliant designer/maker William Harsey.

To start with, it has great ergonomics. I have XL hands, but this knife fits in the hand really well, even with gloves. The scales, bolted over stainless liners, are well polished micarta and smooth, but the finger grooves and aggressive jimping keeps the knife locked into the hand.  The scales could be a bit thicker--more like my beloved Buck 110's--but it was designed to be carried in a pocket with a clip (grrrrrr...). Some people prefer tip up carry, but the T2 was tip down carry. I don't really see that as an issue. The construction is "open pillar", so cleaning is a cinch.

The low-glare, S30V blade, perfectly centered, rides on some phosphor-bronze washers and just sings out of the handle with a flick of the ambidextrous thumb studs. Which is nice, but what really wins my heart is the perfect (hey, this is my world) blade shape. I'd describe it as a Loveless-style drop point blade, which seems pretty ideal for an all-around utility knife. There is a slight thumb ramp with some good jimping to provide a really positive grip when push-cutting.

The wide blade has a full-flat grind, tapering down to a fine edge. Even though the secondary bevel (primary edge) is somewhat obtuse, because it starts as a thin edge it's wicked sharp and a fierce slicer. The tip is formed by the blade tapering down, starting around the same point where the belly of the edge really starts to curve up. As a result, the T2 has a nice pointy tip, but seems fairly strong due to the width of the blade.

The blade is held open with a liner lock. This liner lock doesn't seem very thick, but I've never had an issue with this lock. (This is about the same as the Spyderco Military's liner lock. And that seems to work well.) The liner lock has jimping where one engages it with one's thumb. This may seem a bit excessive, but, devil in the details, it really helps when manipulating the lock with gloves on.

It's as good as a big folder can get.

Here's a comparison shot with a 111mm Ourtider:

Now this next part may not be suitable for viewers of all ages. Reading the following segment may cause nausea, vomiting, hypotension, dizziness, shortness of breath, acute anxiety, chest pain, abdominal discomfort, loose bowels, and excessive crying. People with preexisting heart conditions or OCD should NOT, under any conditions, click on the Spoiler link below. You've been warned.

Show content

As I've mentioned in other threads, I do not like pocket clips. In most cases, I'll remove a pocket clip when I can. I won't belabor the issue here. After using the T2 as made, I grew tired of the clip and decided to remove it. The catch here is that the clip was brilliantly designed to be an integral part of the handle and scales. The clip couldn't be removed without causing issues with the blade pin and scale attachment.

So, I took some drastic action.....

Are you sure you really want to view the following troubling images?

Show content

I removed the clip and ground it down to form an oversized washer.   :facepalm:

And now the T2 was perfect.

I either carry it loose in the pocket or in a nylon pouch. It would probably do very well in a friction sheath or pocket caddy, but I haven't tried that to date. Hmmmmm.....

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 07:57:00 PM
So, I owe you guys a T2 shot.
Thanks for posting the picks.
Great description and I think the mod is fine. :like: :tu: :tu: :cheers:

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:01 PM
My earlier version of a lonewolf knife with a d2 blade steel.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 09:54:11 PM
Nice!  :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 09:55:33 PM

Nice one Teofilo! :like: :tu: :tu:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 10:00:15 PM
+3 Orangey too!  :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 04:30:39 PM

aaand that's the LW Knife I mentioned and my favorite of their designs, given birth under Benchmade production and design schemes
the only production folder to rival the Pacific Salt in most fronts   :salute:

excellent knife Teofilo!!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%