Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Analogue or digital?

Gareth · 56 · 4191

Poll

Which do you prefer?

Analogue
20 (55.6%)
Digital
12 (33.3%)
Hybrid
4 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Analogue or digital?
on: April 15, 2016, 04:09:51 PM
So while I do own a digital watch I much prefer reading the time from a analogue watch.  What about you folks?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Analogue or digital?
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 04:33:34 PM
Analogue all the way. Even better if the watch is mechanical.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 04:35:05 PM
Love my autos but for day to say work wear my G shocks get the call every time. 

Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 04:58:23 PM
I only own two analogue watches, my Seiko Aviator and my Seiko Black Monster, and although I like them very much, my favorite watch at the moment is my Suunto Core. 

In the past I was always switching between my Seiko watches and my Casio watches (Riseman,Protrek PRW-1300Y and my Titanium Sea Pathfinder). But then I found an All Black Suunto Core at a discount price and I was hooked.  A year later I found a "regular display" Core at an even better price than my All Black Core, and I couldn't resist that one either ...  ::)

Since then the Core has become my favorite watch of them all, big and easy to read display, very accurate altitude- and barometer functions, and it feels great on the wrist, very comfortable.  The Casio watches do have the radio controlled function, which I miss on the Suunto watches, but on all other points Suunto beats Casio, in my opinion  ;).

Hope you guys don't mind that I throw in a couple of pics of my watches ...  :-\

My apologies for the load of pics ... I can never decide which one to post here, so I always end up posting a lot of them ...  :-[

no Offline Grathr

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:05:22 PM
I prefer analogue watches, but love the functionality of a digital watch.
Thats one of the reasons I bought the Garmin Fenix 3. Digital, but with a customisable watch face. (I can also download a bunch of new watchfaces, if I tire of the one I have now)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 05:07:10 PM
If you asked me this a few years back my answer would be analog, but the G-Shocks have won me over for many reasons so I have to say digital all the way.
I'm the milk man!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:12:54 PM
I prefer analogue watches, but love the functionality of a digital watch.
Thats one of the reasons I bought the Garmin Fenix 3. Digital, but with a customisable watch face. (I can also download a bunch of new watchfaces, if I tire of the one I have now)
(Image removed from quote.)

That one looks great ...  :drool:

I forgot I also own a Garmin Fenix, but a "Mark 1" version, which I got (once again ...) at a great discount price (-70%).

And again I've posted pics ...  :facepalm:

us Offline Joe58

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 06:44:15 PM
Analog. Just has a classier look to me. No offense meant to the digital fans. I pretty much just want my watch to tell the time, and date if it's battery. Although I do have an Eco-drive which should be here tomorrow I'm looking forward to trying.

Boy, some of those watches you guys have are just huge looking! I think that would bug me. That's one thing about the G-Shock when I looked at it. It's just so thick and bulky. Those Garmins look wider than your entire arm. :)
🇨🇭

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 07:03:25 PM
Analogue for me too. I do wear a ana-digi Protrek as my everyday watch for the past year and a half though.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 07:20:43 PM
As long as it is Gold coloured, I am fine with it.

I only own 1 watch,  an under 1 euro watch, analogue...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 08:18:09 PM
Analogue. Owned both types but prefer analogue.
Like dks I only own one watch - a Citizen Eco-Drive, solar powered, keeps great time, had it about 8 or 9 years I think - can't remember. Very scuffed and the crystal is scratched but it's the only watch I want.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 10:30:07 PM
I'd say mostly analogue, :whistle:
JR

Oops, why does this thing neve put the pic the right way?
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 240.29 KB)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:31:08 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 12:23:22 AM
Well, I'll be blunt. ANALOG IS BEST!!

Sent from some weird space-age devise

us Offline Joe58

Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 01:04:05 AM
Analogue. Owned both types but prefer analogue.
Like dks I only own one watch - a Citizen Eco-Drive, solar powered, keeps great time, had it about 8 or 9 years I think - can't remember. Very scuffed and the crystal is scratched but it's the only watch I want.

Awesome - mine should be here tomorrow I think.

Nice selection there Plumber!
🇨🇭

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 03:50:30 AM
I prefer analog but I have become somewhat hooked on my Pebble smart watch.  Does that qualify as digital?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 08:41:35 AM
I´m totally addicted to digital! a lot of info easy read...

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 01:09:45 PM
Digital:

- Easier to read.
- Strongers
- 10 years of buttery run (maintenance nearly to 0 until then)
- I break the analogues when I have to put the hour or the date. I break the mechanisms. I am very clumsy with them (and I know the rule of no touching them between 9PM and 9AM...)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:10:55 PM by alexTOOL »

us Offline Joe58

Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 01:47:23 PM
Digital:

- Easier to read.
- Strongers
- I break the analogues when I have to put the hour or the date. I break the mechanisms. I am very clumsy with them (and I know the rule of no touching them between 9PM and 9AM...)

I'm not sure I'd concur with you. Politely of course. No disrespect intended.

I've found a digital in bright sun needs to be angled sometimes so the digits can be read. In dim light, it's often necessary to hit your light button to check the time, but, the light button is a positive in darker settings to check the time. So it balances out.

Stronger I think depends on the watch. There's many many older wind up and wind up watches in service that are pretty old in watch years. My Vietnam era Hamilton wind up still works great and all I've done to it was a few years ago was have it serviced. The guy said it looked great inside. Old expensive watches, like a Doxa or something, last forever.

While I do the that even the cheapie Timex and Casio digitals while likely outlast a mechanical if the same value, not some much, or at least pretty equal, on higher end watches.

I'm curious if the analog/digital preference can also be linked to the age of the wearer. I know before my father passed, he'd of never worn a digital. Tried once. Got him one with a larger display, lightweight, etc., Had the time and date at a glance. Gave it right back to me. Always wore a wind up.

And a question - I'm not familiar with the no touching between 9 and 9. Explain please?

Thanks!!
🇨🇭

us Offline cody6268

Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 03:55:24 PM
Analog.  All I need to do is turn a knob to set it.  My old Armitron requires the owners manual just to figure out how to set the darn thing. I prefer my Timex Expedition to it, but since the Armitron is a far cheaper watch than the Timex, I'll need to put another battery in it for this summer, as it isn't as bad losing a $15 watch than it is a $40 watch.

Offline 21productionz

Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 04:11:11 PM
Digital

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 04:36:39 PM
Digital:

- Easier to read.
- Strongers
Yes long run time, yet if a solar unlimited, the same for a analogue so long as you keep it in motion,, only other advantage is any that ping off that clock tower, although one of my watches in that pic is analogue and does ping off of it, but is not self winding..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 10:26:27 PM
Digital, because if all the diferent modes that you can have on a digital watch. You can also have it on a hybrid but i prefer full digital.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 10:51:34 PM
Here's my most commonly worn watch.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 02:02:43 AM
Nice.

Love those classic Wenger watches!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 03:48:04 AM
I like some of the extras you can get with digital.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 08:10:42 AM
Digital:

- Easier to read.
- Strongers

I'm not sure I'd concur with you. Politely of course. No disrespect intended.
... Got him one with a larger display, lightweight, etc., Had the time and date at a glance. Gave it right back to me. Always wore a wind up.

And a question - I'm not familiar with the no touching between 9 and 9. Explain please?

Thanks!!

If you set the date on a mechanical watch between 21h and 9h, it will change the date at noon and not at midnight. It does not know if it is 12 or 00 hours and just changes the date every second turn of the hour hand.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:50:16 AM by lowtech »

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 08:31:19 AM
I prefer analog watches.  I had one of the earliest digital watches around 1975 or so. I was still in elementary school. It was a heavy, gold-colored watch with a square shape and must have been close to half an inch thick. I don't remember the brand, but I think it was made in Japan.  It didn't display the time until you pushed a button, then it displayed in red LED for a few seconds and shut itself off.  Despite not having a constant on display it needed a new battery every month.  I liked it at first mostly because no one else had one, but I soon grew tired of a watch you needed 2 hands to operate.  I just wanted to be able to glance at my wrist and see what time it was without requiring additional manipulation.  They've probably improved some since then, but I just never bothered with them again after that.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 09:26:01 AM
I prefer analog watches.  I had one of the earliest digital watches around 1975 or so. I was still in elementary school. It was a heavy, gold-colored watch with a square shape and must have been close to half an inch thick. I don't remember the brand, but I think it was made in Japan.  It didn't display the time until you pushed a button, then it displayed in red LED for a few seconds and shut itself off.  Despite not having a constant on display it needed a new battery every month.  I liked it at first mostly because no one else had one, but I soon grew tired of a watch you needed 2 hands to operate.  I just wanted to be able to glance at my wrist and see what time it was without requiring additional manipulation.  They've probably improved some since then, but I just never bothered with them again after that.

Yes, I suspect they've improved a little. :D  I think I've seen the watch you are talking about though.

I was born in the 70's and grew up in 80's, when digital watches really took off.  You couldn't be one of the cool kids without a Casio of some kind.  I've had a few of the small, cheap Casio watches over the last few years and one of the big pluses is that they are very small and light.
2013-02-17 11.05.20.jpg
* 2013-02-17 11.05.20.jpg (Filesize: 74.54 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 04:11:16 PM
I also like the features that come with my digital.  Multiple alarms, timers, solar atomic, no worry hard use, set and forget, and a range of info on the main display.  I love ABC watches ( altitude, barometer, compass ) as they turn a watch into a true multitool. 

Mechanicals, autos and so on have their place as well.  While looks are debatable I find I am more attracted to a classic analogue watch. 
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 06:49:53 PM
I like ana/digi hybrids. I like to see what time it is, and how it can be written :D

If i had to choose, i take analog first. Digitals i love alarms, timers and stop watch. They are used everyday.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%