Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Soldier W/Hard To Open Blades 274

Full Member Posts: 164 I Can Fix Anything
Soldier W/Hard To Open Blades
« on: June 02, 2020, 10:16:56 PM »
Hi !  Haven't been around in a while
 I have a soldier dated 92 that has a real problem. The main blade and leather punch open easy but the can & bottle opener blades are so stiff I have to use a dime to open them. When viewed from above none of the blades are bent or really even touching each other. The bottle opener and leather punch are both tight to the scales though. The leather punch hardly has any snap when it's closed but the other 3 snap like a mouse trap. I like the knife but keep thinking  of selling it and finding one that I can open with my thumb nail. Any advice?
No Life Club Posts: 3,972
Re: Soldier W/Hard To Open Blades
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 10:51:41 PM »
Fill a sink with hot soapy water. Drop the knife in and let it soak awhile.

Then, keeping it under water, open and close all the blades/tools. Do that several times and see if they start to loosen up.

If they get to feeling normal, do it all again under warm running water to rinse out all the soap.

Once all rinsed out, dry it. Blow it with your breath or an air compressor. Or shake it and let it dry.

Then oil it back up. If nothing bent or wrong, that should put it back to like new snap!

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Life Club Posts: 4,436
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 11:27:08 PM »
 :iagree: A good spa treatment, and it should be good to go if nothing is bent  :tu:

I sometimes use a toothbrush to really get the grime out from the joints.
Full Member Posts: 164 I Can Fix Anything
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 11:47:18 PM »
It doesn't look dirty but what the heck I'll give it a try. Thanks for the replies
No Life Club Posts: 1,423
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 04:56:22 AM »
Fill a sink with hot soapy water. Drop the knife in and let it soak awhile.

Then, keeping it under water, open and close all the blades/tools. Do that several times and see if they start to loosen up.

If they get to feeling normal, do it all again under warm running water to rinse out all the soap.

Once all rinsed out, dry it. Blow it with your breath or an air compressor. Or shake it and let it dry.

Then oil it back up. If nothing bent or wrong, that should put it back to like new snap!

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:iagree:

Let us know how it works out!
No Life Club Posts: 1,326
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 02:37:44 AM »
Yep, what ZRXOA1 said.  Use the toothbrush on the ends to get all the crud out.  I usually use a small cooler to let mine soak in -- keeps the water warmer longer. 

Oil when thoroughly dry.  Be sure and don't miss oiling the sides of the back springs when they are energized (ie, tools partially open) because there's a lot of friction there.

Good luck.
Jr. Member Posts: 67

Tet ca

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 05:56:20 AM »
 :iagree:  Also - if you use super hot water when you rinse it most of it evaporates immediately so you don't really have to do much drying

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $40.00
PayPal Fees: $2.71
Net Balance: $37.29
Below Goal: $262.71
Site Currency: USD
 12%