Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Alox Minichamp - Weak Spring 244

New User Posts: 4
Victorinox Alox Minichamp - Weak Spring
« on: July 24, 2021, 10:53:33 PM »
Hello...
Victorinox Alox Minichamp question...
Is the main blade sping (specifically the alox version) typically weak on this version? It seems to be very weak...example: I can open the blade to any position and the blade will just stay there.

All other tools seem to be just fine...it is only the main blade. I exchanged one due to this assuming I just received a bad one, but this new one seems to be the same.

In comparison, I have a Minichamp with the standard plastic type handles and the blade action is very snappy.

Thinking its just an alox thing, which requires a break in period...??

Keith
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 11:23:06 PM by Kdarmy »
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,392
Re: Victorinox Alox Minichamp - Weak Spring
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 01:44:34 PM »
Hi Keith, welcome to  :MTO:

From my experience with SAKs it's most probably just sitting a bit tight between the liner and the scales. That would work out over time.

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 03:52:20 PM »

Well this was the 2nd one that I ordered and they both were the same, the blade is so firm in the handles, that I can't imagine that it would even loosen up to be any level of acceptable....I actually have to push the blade closed!
Sad, this is a model I've wanted for  long time, but I've tried two in a row, and both the same....I'm done! :rant:
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,392
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 04:16:30 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that.
Is it possible you've got the same one sent back to you? This doesn't seem a common problem reported here  :think:

I've got annoyed by too tight scissors pivots though.

Formerly known as MTMatt
Hero Member Posts: 699 Average Old Guy.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
None of mine have that issue, Keith.   This is the reason that I prefer to buy my  knives in person rather than off of the internet.  Sadly, that's becoming more difficult these days.

Addicted to sharp pointy things.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 07:28:48 PM »
Definitely was not the same one, as the first one was on its way back and still in route, when this one was shipped.

I too prefer to personally check out my knives before I buy, but now a days, most are bought online. For this particular model, inspecting it first is the only way I would buy another.

I was actually surprised....Victorinox is one brand I would not have expected this from.

No Life Club Posts: 2,875
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 08:42:28 PM »
Hello...
Victorinox Alox Minichamp question...
Is the main blade sping (specifically the alox version) typically weak on this version? It seems to be very weak...example: I can open the blade to any position and the blade will just stay there.

All other tools seem to be just fine...it is only the main blade. I exchanged one due to this assuming I just received a bad one, but this new one seems to be the same.

In comparison, I have a Minichamp with the standard plastic type handles and the blade action is very snappy.

Thinking its just an alox thing, which requires a break in period...??

Keith
Hi Kdarmy.
I am an amatuer when compared to those here so can't comment with authority (I only have an Alox)  :doh:

I have carried mine today, to check, and would agree with you that here is no snap what-so-ever.

That said, I'm wasn't expecting it to snap on such a small tool  :dunno: 

They don't like it up 'em!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 09:04:21 PM »
Interesting that yours has no action either... :think:
I have a midnight manager, which has the same tools but with the plastic handles, and the main blade on that knife is quite snappy...I can open it up 1/2" let go and it will snap shut.

The midnight manager is a fat little knife compared to the alox version, which is why I wanted one...but comparing the action between the two....I just couldn't keep it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $10.66
PayPal Fees: $0.63
Net Balance: $10.03
Below Goal: $289.97
Site Currency: USD
 3%