Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Becker's Lay-Tech Air Mattress!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Becker's Lay-Tech Air Mattress!
on: April 27, 2016, 04:54:59 PM
I've been after this particular piece belonging to my father for years now- or a replacement for this one, which doesn't seem to exist.  Well, it is finally mine and I'm putting it to use!  It's my father's old air mattress with inflation bag.

Now maybe an air mattress doesn't seem that exciting, but consider that this air mattress is about a decade older than me and is still just as functional as the day it was made and then you have something.

This tag says either August of 1983, 1963 or 1933.  I know it wasn't 1983 because I personally have used it at cub camp prior to 1983, and I assume it isn't 1933 because the manufacturing doesn't really lend itself to being quite that old, so I'm guessing 1963, which would be more or less accurate as that would have been the early days of my father's military career.

I have slept on it the last two nights and it still holds air just fine.  I have to top it up a bit each night before I go to bed, but it stays inflated overnight, even with my ~200lbs on it.  There are no patches, no repairs, no scratches or any other marks on this, despite having served my father well and making campouts a lot easier on my brother and I in our younger days.  This is no surprise, as it feels as if it was made from old tires off retired military vehicles!   :ahhh

That having been said, it is actually quite comfortable, even though I have sensitive skin issues with the latex/rubber used in it's construction.  Nothing a good sleeping bag doesn't fix though!  And, it uses an ingenious inflation system- you connect the mattress inflation hose to the port on the bag, inflate the bag by holding it open then rapidly closing it, then roll the bag up to force the air into the mattress.  Doing this 5-6 times will pretty well fill the mattress to capacity, then you have to quickly disconnect the bag and put the plug in the inflation hose.  I say quickly because there's no valve on this one to keep the air from comign out like on modern inflatables.

As I said, I have been looking for a modern variant of one of these, or more surplus ones, but so far I have never seen one like this.  I don't think it was military issue, even though I grew up thinking it was.  Looking back on it, I was raised on military bases and camped with other military kids and no one else had one of these, so I'm guessing my father picked it up somewhere.  Considering it is closing in on it's 53rd birthday, I'm guessing that whatever he may have paid for it was well worth it!

Since I am mid move and have no furniture left where I am in Halifax, I am greatly appreciating having it and knowing that it is still intact.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Becker's Lay-Tech Air Mattress!
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 04:59:28 PM
Very nice Grant! That is one hell of mattress if it is that old and still holding air.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:00:45 PM
I am sure Megan will be excited when she sees the new bed you got for both of you.....   

:rofl:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 05:22:28 PM
Great looking bit of kit mate. :tu:  I'm guessing it's not all that light though?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 05:55:52 PM
I am sure Megan will be excited when she sees the new bed you got for both of you.....   

:rofl:

She has the real bed now.  That's what I did last weekend and why I'm sleeping on this!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 05:59:04 PM
Great looking bit of kit mate. :tu:  I'm guessing it's not all that light though?

It's actually not as heavy as it looks.  If you are one of those "every ounce counts" types then this may not be the air mattress for you, but it saves you the effort of having to blow it up the hard way or carry a pump.  I don't have a scale or anything to weigh it but I'd say it's no more than a couple of pounds.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 06:36:32 PM
They use to make stuff to last (like this air mattress) but anymore we are a throw away society :-\ Glad you have something that has lasted so well from that bygone era, it looks like it will last a good bit longer as well :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 10:43:52 PM
I have no doubt that my grand kids will be using this thing.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:40:42 AM

Def

I wished more stuff was made like this so it could be passed down generation to generation :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 06:58:52 AM

Def

:pok:  Is this some sort of announcement ?    :cheers:   Congratulations 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 01:39:59 PM

Def

:pok:  Is this some sort of announcement ?    :cheers:   Congratulations

Not that I know of.... what have you heard?  :P

I was talking to my folks last night and it turns out that this was military issue after all, and that my father was issued this in 1970 when operated in support of the Van Doos during the October Crisis.

How many times it was issued between 1963 and 1970 then returned to the quartermaster I couldn't say, but it's in great shape even if it did nothing but sit on a shelf for seven years before being given to my father.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 07:52:11 PM
Things mean more to me if I know a bit of history or at least the previous owner of an item :tu: Nevertheless I like used tools as much or better than new even without knowing anything about them :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%