Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Vs Old

Offline jday2727

New Vs Old
on: November 05, 2016, 12:09:02 AM
Hi everyone, do the newer Sogs, particular ppps, work as good as the older USA made ones?Also, what models are most similar to the PPP? Thanks!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: New Vs Old
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 12:18:10 AM
Honestly, yes, the PowerPlay (for example) is a good tool.  However, it seems a bit "fancy" and not quite as solid as the older models like the Pocket Power Pliers, the PowerLock etc.  I never felt like the PowerPlay was going to fail or anything, it just doesn't feel as good and solid as the old ones.  I am sure the new ones will work just as hard, they just don't feel the same as the old ones.

There's nothing wrong with them per se, but if you are used to an old school SOG these newer models may disappoint you just in the way they look and feel.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 02:50:11 AM
Not to mention the PowerPlay is almost twice as thick as the Pocket PowerPlier!

jday, if you are looking for a locking version of the Pocket PowerPlier, the closest thing we have to it ATM is still the PowerLock 2.0, sadly.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 03:24:28 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with the previous comments. I think the current offerings from SOG do work well and are definitely worth adding to any belt. When you take into consideration where SOG came from and what they currently producenrolled I feel things are disconnected. I don't like them anywhere near as much as the older tools. Can't really be said as USA made versus overseas because I've seen some fantastically made items from overseas bUT the definitely feel different.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 04:46:24 PM
the older, the better

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 04:54:11 PM
Love my Power Assist, quality is spot on and smooth.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 08:16:37 PM
I have a PowerAssist from Hell.  :D

As soon as it clears the sheath, both blades launch like Wolverine on Smurfpills!   :ahhh :ahhh

One of these days I'll send it in for warranty repair, but to be honest I think I like laughing at it more than anything!  D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 08:30:52 PM

As soon as it clears the sheath, both blades launch like Wolverine on Smurfpills!   :ahhh :ahhh

One of these days I'll send it in for warranty repair, but to be honest I think I like laughing at it more than anything!  D

Def

Wow Grant, must have got a dud huh.  :think: only issue I have with mine is the plain edge has some wiggle but my serrated is tight like new.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 03:00:21 AM
Yeah, I have never heard of or seen another one like it.  I feel like it would be an ideal tool to carry if ever I am in a situation where I'm going to encounter people who borrow tools. 

You'll always know who has used it, and no one will steal it because they won't wait to give it back!

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 05:00:00 AM
Yeah, I have never heard of or seen another one like it.  I feel like it would be an ideal tool to carry if ever I am in a situation where I'm going to encounter people who borrow tools. 

You'll always know who has used it, and no one will steal it because they won't wait to give it back!

Def

:like:

:rofl:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 04:28:04 AM

Def

Just keep it out of your front pocket!!  >:D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:39:13 AM
I'm carrying 2 SOGs today, and both are discontinued. (older pics tho)
PP for heavy duty, tank like feeling and buildup BN grip and robust construction, AKA the beast
PPP old model for slim, light, quickly flippable NN head with incredible precision, AKA the beauty

so it's definitely the older SOGs for me!   :salute:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:41:03 AM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline Padre

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 11:59:33 AM
Not an expert on SOGs, but as far as I know older and newer PPPs are both good to go! Its my favorite SOG and quite unique in its size too. Pocket Powerplier is always worth checking out despite the age.

New PowerAccess will be close the size but it is too early to say if its good or not.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!