Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New SwissTool RS meets my Core

Singh · 15 · 3541

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
New SwissTool RS meets my Core
on: September 06, 2008, 05:41:26 PM
The SwissTool (ST) s indeed a very good tool.  In size, the ST is slightly bigger than the original Leatherman Super Tool. The ST can fit in my Super Tool sheath, but the fit is snug..

The ST' and Leatherman Core often get compared, and both to me are good tools.

Fit: The ST snaps shut with authority, and each tool is spring loaded. When you pull put one tool on the ST, the others stay put. The Core's tools are not spring loaded, but are easier to get out than the ST.  I'll call this one a draw.

Finish: The ST's high polish is more rust resistant than the rougher, matted finish of the Core. But, take care of your tools and rust shouldn't be a problem.  The disadvantage to the ST's high polish is that drivers can slip. The Core's drivers have more bite to them.  Each finish has its tradeoffs.  Do you want more rust resistance or a better bite with your drivers? The answer to that question will determine which one is better for you. For me, I'll take rust resistance. Your answer may be different. I'll call this one a draw.

Sheath: The ST has a much better sheath. The ST sheath is slim/fitted, and has a snap.  The Core sheath is not bad, but it's a larger pancake-style sheath with a velcro closure.

Tool Length: the Core has longer drivers and tools, for the most part. And the Core's Awl is a frightening  implement of pokey destruction.   :ahhh :ahhh Advantage goes to the Core on this.

Locking mechanism: The ST has an elegant spring locking mechanism that works like a Swiss watch (pun intended). The Core's locking mechanism is simpler (no springs) but effective.  Both work very well. To me, the Core has a better locking system in that there is less to go wrong.

Size: ST wins this one, hands down.  The ST is only slightly larger than an original Super Tool. The Core is huge, but not prohibitive. It's just that the ST can do what the Core can do, but in a smaller, equally tough package.

Tool Selection: Here is where it gets strictly personal. The ST wins with me on tool selection. Both the Core and ST have Phillips and flat drivers, knife blades, serrated blades, saws, bottle/can openers, etc. The ST RS tool has a fine screwdriver and scissors. I chose the RS version for the scissors, and I have little use for a file. Files wear down and you can't sharpen them. As such, after awhile I'm left with a dulled, useless hunk of metal on my multi-tool. If you want a file, there are other ST's that give you that option. the ST comes in different tool configurations and the Core does not. Advantage to tool section goes to the ST.

Pliers: Both seem able to do the job. The Core has longer, more needle-nosed pliers.

Conclusion: The Core had the advantage in tool bite and length, easier tool removal, and a simpler locking mechanism.  The ST has the advantage in rust resistance, sheath quality, overall size, and tool selection.  Both are very good tools and represent different versions of “Excalibur”. For me, the ST is my personal choice because of the scissors, size, and finish.

ADDENDUM: I forgot to mention tool accessibility. The ST has the advantage of being able to access the tools without having to unfold the handles.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:26:06 PM by shamus »

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: New SwissTool RS meets my Core
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 05:49:48 PM
 That's a very good,well written and equally well thought out observation.I seldom use a file,except on my nails,and I never really quite thought of the file in that light...it's going to give me something to think about the next time I buy a tool.
I

us Offline EZ822

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 06:12:37 PM
Good comparison review. :salute:
Erick

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 06:40:01 PM
Damn fine, even handed review mate :)

Glad your liking the RS mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 06:44:21 PM
Great comparison mate.  :)
I'm back!!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:06:49 PM
Thanks for the positive responses. I was trying to be fair to both tools.

Another thought on the sheaths: The ST sheath sits lower on the belt, which works better for me.

I never really quite thought of the file in that light...it's going to give me something to think about the next time I buy a tool.

Bison, I tend to think "what can go wrong" when looking at MTs. An MT is for when I don't have the tool box handy, so simplicity/reliability becomes very important. That's why I prefer dedicated drivers over bits. If something can be remove on a MT, then that's something I'll lose. Also, I want to be able to sharpen/maintain all the tools on a MT. If it has tool that can wear out and become useless, then that's a strike against it for me. To LM's credit, on the Surge you can replace the saw/files.

Speaking of simplicity; the Core has an advantage in the locking mechanism, but the ST has an advantage in the lack of plastic inserts. Those plastic inserts can trap moisture. Not really a problem, but it gives you an extra consideration in cleaning the thing. An dip in mineral spirits will displace any water trapped there. Squirt a bit of oil in there and you're good to go.

As far as the ST locking mechanisms concerned, the spring is a simple leaf style spring. It looks like the scissor spring, except much smaller.  Very unlikely that something could go wrong with it. Makes me wonder if the tool can still function if that fails. Probably, but you may lose locking capability. I'm not sure.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:16 PM
What a fantastic comparison!
B

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 10:38:50 PM
Very nice review , the only thing I'd like to comment on is what you said about the locking system

The ST has an elegant spring locking mechanism that works like a Swiss watch (pun intended). The Core's locking mechanism is simpler (no springs) but effective.  Both work very well. To me, the Core has a better locking system in that there is less to go wrong.

For your infomation in 11 years the Swistool has been on the market We have not heard of one single lock failing . Now I can't confirm this but I believe I have read reports of Lm's locks ( like that on the Core and Blast models ) breaking when dropped  :think:  Perhaps someone could back this one up .

Dunc

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 11:54:53 PM
A well thought out review.

I'd really like to get a Spirit, but since I have an affinity for Leatherman, I am waiting until the new model with plain blade and scissors comes to the US.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:36:41 PM
an excellent review and comparison! :cheers:
(I need to read these things more!)
the only thing I would have liked is pictures (I'm simple minded!)

thx 4 sharing that bud :salute:

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:59:11 PM

I chose the RS version for the scissors, and I have little use for a file. Files wear down and you can't sharpen them. As such, after awhile I'm left with a dulled, useless hunk of metal on my multi-tool. If you want a file, there are other ST's that give you that option. the ST comes in different tool configurations and the Core does not. Advantage to tool section goes to the ST.

Ditto here - I like the SOG MT's for the simple reason the file can be removed and a different tool substituted in it's place. On this Pocket PowerPlier the file has been replced with a serrated line cutter.

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 05:49:31 AM
my problem with SOG is they are not the most comfortable in the hand, even with the covers.
otherwise I like them very much. (but this is STvsCORE!)

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:52:30 AM
I've handled both but used neither. On fondling alone I'd vote Swisstool.

I likey your reviewy, much in the same way as I like an ugly friend - I'd like them a lot more if they had EYE PLEASING VISUAL EFFECTS!

us Offline Splat

Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 06:26:14 PM
Sheath: The ST has a much better sheath. The ST sheath is slim/fitted, and has a snap.  The Core sheath is not bad, but it's a larger pancake-style sheath with a velcro closure.

My LM Core's sheath was fitted pretty well and not pancake style at all. Mine was the leather sheath.  I do think my Vic Spirit's sheath was nicer though.

Tool Selection: Here is where it gets strictly personal. The ST wins with me on tool selection. Both the Core and ST have Phillips and flat drivers, knife blades, serrated blades, saws, bottle/can openers, etc. The ST RS tool has a fine screwdriver and scissors. I chose the RS version for the scissors, and I have little use for a file. Files wear down and you can't sharpen them. As such, after awhile I'm left with a dulled, useless hunk of metal on my multi-tool. If you want a file, there are other ST's that give you that option. the ST comes in different tool configurations and the Core does not. Advantage to tool section goes to the ST.

I never thought of the file on any multi like this. I think you just made up my mind for choosing another implement over a file the next m/t I buy. BTW, I did love the tool selection, especially the Phillips' useability, of my Core. If Victorinox made any of their m/t Phillips as good as the Core's I wouldn't give a second thought to buying them over any LM.

ADDENDUM: I forgot to mention tool accessibility. The ST has the advantage of being able to access the tools without having to unfold the handles.

Which drove me nuts with my Core. I wish they'd make an outside-opening version of the Core. Man, that'd be sweet. When you're perched up a ladder having that makes a difference.

Good review, mate. You made me think of a m/t's file in a different way now.  :cheers:
Splat

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 07:34:35 PM

Good review, mate. You made me think of a m/t's file in a different way now  :cheers:

thanks!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD