Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiza OHO ?

Rich S · 17 · 1447

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Swiza OHO ?
on: May 09, 2016, 05:22:37 PM
I've carried a SAK longer than most of the forumites have been alive; but now I'm an old geezer that needs a cane. My question, I was looking at the Swize D04 (like the Tinker), and was wondering if the slot in the main blade would allow for OHO opening? I have a Trekker, but it is just too darn big. Thanks in advance.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Swiza OHO ?
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 05:44:34 PM
Yes, you can. However, as an old geezer you might have difficulty as it takes quite some reach to do so and you actually do it with the logo and not the hole >:D

But I strongly suggest to choose anything but a Swiza, I was really unhappy with mine and broke the screwdriver on first use (TWICE :D, the test had an upper strength limit and no other tool tested even showed wear).

Swiza D04 - thoughts after 10 days of use
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 05:54:12 PM
Ether wrote:

"Yes, you can. However, as an old geezer you might have difficulty as it takes quite some reach to do so and you actually do it with the logo and not the hole "

Huh?? How to do that?

Addition: I found the Buck X-tract. Looks like what I need, just less tools. Don't need pliers, so I think the Essential would do. I use mainly the blade, but want a standard and phillips screw driver. The scissors might be useful; guess I could use one side of the scissors for a screw starter. What is the groups opinion of these? I know this is a SAK forum, but hoping for for guidance in finding a useable OHO similar to my Tinker or Deluxe Tinker (both of which I love). Thanks.

Rich

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:45:30 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 08:00:05 PM
Guess it's my turn to be "that guy" and throw an entirely different tool into the mix-

If you need OHO, maybe the Leatherman Skeletool is worth a look. It's easy to open one-handed, and way more comfortable in knife mode than most MTs to boot. You do get pliers, but also a bit driver with two double-ended bits, one of which stores in an onboard slot in the handle.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 08:07:54 PM
Also the Leatherman Crater c33T is all OH. You get a knife, flat driver, phillips and carabiner/bottleopener.
And its not huge. ;)

http://www.leatherman.com/crater-c33t-28.html#start=2
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 09:38:08 PM
Ether wrote:

"Yes, you can. However, as an old geezer you might have difficulty as it takes quite some reach to do so and you actually do it with the logo and not the hole "

Huh?? How to do that?
The logo is further back and gives enough grip to push the blade open.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:47:34 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions, but I don't like having to unfold something 6 ways to get a knife blade open (the main tool I use). I think I'll check out the Buck X-Tract Essential. If I don't like it, I'll just stick to my Tinker/Deluxe Tinker and carry a 3" or so thumbstud/linerlock also.
Thanks again
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 10:01:20 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions, but I don't like having to unfold something 6 ways to get a knife blade open (the main tool I use). I think I'll check out the Buck X-Tract Essential. If I don't like it, I'll just stick to my Tinker/Deluxe Tinker and carry a 3" or so thumbstud/linerlock also.
Thanks again
Rich

Which is why I suggested the Skeletool. The blade is outside and one-hand opening on a pretty compact frame. Grathr's Crater recommendation is pretty solid too.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 12:37:06 AM
Thanks again for the suggestions, but I've just never been a fan of Leathermans.
I just ordered a Buck X-Tract Essential. Let you all know how I like it in a few days after I get it. Of course I'll still have my Tinker in my pocket (may have it buried with me :-)
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 08:27:48 AM
Thanks again for the suggestions, but I've just never been a fan of Leathermans.
I just ordered a Buck X-Tract Essential. Let you all know how I like it in a few days after I get it. Of course I'll still have my Tinker in my pocket (may have it buried with me :-)
Rich
Ok, I might be a bit late, but isn't the Buck X-Tract Essential, pretty big?

Anyhow we want Pictures :D
Maybe between the Trekker and a 91/93mm SAK

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 02:07:38 PM
Don't have a digicam, but here's a link to it. 4" closed, 3" blade, weighs 3.2 oz. ALL tools open/close one handed. No can or bottle opener or awl. The one I ordered has no lanyard loop. Has a pocket clip.

http://ecopusa.com/knives-tools/tools-accessories/multi-tools/buck-bu3177-x-tract-essential-multi-tool-3-drop-blade-black-handle/

Also a better description on Amazon.

This may not ever replace my Tinker, we'll see when I get it and use it a while. May still carry my Tinker (which I love and am emotionally attached to) and a small (2.5-3") thumb stud linerlock with it. Is it weird to be emotionally attached to a knife? For me it's my Tinker just because I've carried it since the dawn of time (no family heirloom or anything like that).

I just noticed that MultiTool.Org has a good review of the X-tract. It is old, but still very good info.

Rich
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:57:00 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 06:01:02 PM
I have the xtract essential too. The scissors on it are fantastic!

Looking forward to hear what you think of it. :tu:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 07:13:22 PM
Grathr -

I should have the X-tract essential tomorrow. This morning I also ordered the Fin X-tract. Looks a bit large, but maybe the pliers would come in handy somethings. Will let you all know my opinion when I get them.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 02:35:56 PM
This thread led to me searching around Buck multitools the other night.

The x-tract essential model seems a similar length and weight to the 111mm Vic soldier or trekker.

The scissors, inline Philips and additional one handed opening on the Buck are appealing; but lacking the prybar-bottle opener combo, toothpick and tweezers less convincing. Reminds me that I'd like a one handed trekker with scissors and an inline Philips instead of the saw, but that ain't happening.

Anyway, interested to see what comes of this...!

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 11:22:30 PM
Got my Buck X-Tract Essential today. Nice knife, like that all tools are OHO both to open and close. It is a tad bit heavier than I'm use to, but with the pocket clip may be ok - we will see. Probably not replace my Tinker; might carry both  who knows :-)
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 12:23:02 AM
The essential is awesome and have missed mine ever since I traded it off. I believe I wrote the essential review on the site, such a great lightweight tool. Only issue I had was I had too twist tool slightly when taking it out of my pocket or the thumb stud got stuck.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 06:27:56 PM
I really like the X-Tract Essential except for its weight. My current solution is to carry it at home and carry my Tinker when dressed to go out since it is lighter in the pocket. Also not likely to need a can opener or bottle opener in a knife as there are plenty around the house, not so when I go out, so that's where my Tinker comes in. (Just can't get away from a SAK Tinker no matter what :-)
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20