Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why no love for Cold Steel?

Kampfer · 1137 · 65979

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Why no love for Cold Steel?
Reply #150 on: August 24, 2016, 06:10:18 AM
I have a hardcore Cold Steel folder but I am not carrying or testing it yet. Carrying slipjoints for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard that is a very nice one.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #151 on: August 24, 2016, 02:28:39 PM
My first two Cold Steels are here... Gladius Machete and Jungle Machete:

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #152 on: August 24, 2016, 02:39:03 PM
The thing that's always used to put me off Cold Steel was their marketing. I simply have no interest in knives as weapons and that's how they used to promote all their gear....

Its a long time since I looked at their stuff mind, so I guess it could have changed.
I used to come here a lot.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #153 on: August 24, 2016, 02:47:43 PM
The thing that's always used to put me off Cold Steel was their marketing. I simply have no interest in knives as weapons and that's how they used to promote all their gear....

Its a long time since I looked at their stuff mind, so I guess it could have changed.

Honestly, it was their Marketing video that drew me to the Gladius...
I know their machete steel isn't great and their sharpening is 0.. you could get 4 Tramontinas or Marbles (which are far better) for that price...
To add to this, the Gladius one is ridiculously useless, it's far over the legal length, insanely pointy, sharpened on both sides - if I take it out of the house, I'd face a nifty fine and maybe some jailtime... (I'd have trouble explaining why I walk around with a machete in the city, let alone with a needle-sharp one with two sharpened edges...)

But really... what can be cooler than this? (and really it looks and feels even better in hand than on vid)

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #154 on: August 24, 2016, 05:52:54 PM
Glad they got there safe and sound, Corwyn  :drink:

Some more love pics of this month:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #155 on: August 24, 2016, 11:15:05 PM
Wow!!!!  Love those big blades!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #156 on: August 25, 2016, 01:24:58 PM
Their marketing is still a little bit over the top but some of their products must be taken seriously.
This Ultimate Hunter is close to exactly that; top materials and design elements make a truly dependable performance knife.
No blackened tactical nonsense in this one.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #157 on: August 25, 2016, 01:27:51 PM

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #158 on: August 25, 2016, 01:32:46 PM
Their marketing is still a little bit over the top but some of their products must be taken seriously.
This Ultimate Hunter is close to exactly that; top materials and design elements make a truly dependable performance knife.
No blackened tactical nonsense in this one.

That's fair comment. I do realise that they make some solid gear, but I guess I'm not really their target demographic.

I used to come here a lot.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #159 on: August 27, 2016, 01:00:54 PM
A pic of my two prettiest Cold Steels,

with permission of the X2 Voyager...

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Why no love for Cold Steel?
Reply #160 on: August 29, 2016, 06:00:12 AM
I was just watching a comparison video by cold steel on youtube (thinking of buying a spyderco paramilitary 2 and they were "testing" it next to one if their knives) and I noticed in the comments section that the cold steel youtube page was almost getting in arguments with the commenters about the video, directly accusing them of lying and showing some pretty real annoyance and disrespect. I have always been kind of iffy about how they run their company but the way they interact with their commenters is pretty immature it seems. Just kind of surprised me. Of course people will comment that your video is fake, not realistic etc etc if you post those kinds of videos. You would think that someone representing a company would have a little bit more judgement. I have a few (5 or 6 i think) cold steel knives and the one time I wanted to call in an issue with QC (looked like a botched heat treat) they wanted to take 6 months to get the knife back to me. I just kept it. I think they make great martial blades as I said earlier in this topic but their business practices kind of surprise me for a company who makes some quality stuff.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #161 on: August 29, 2016, 06:02:21 AM
Has anyone been to Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, Tennessee ?  Cold Steel has an impressive amount of floor space to show off their knives. They got all their swords, knives, axes, and accessories from CS.  :gimme:
I have been twice and am going back in about a week! Love that place! Looking at swisstools, spydercos and who knows what else.

us Offline David

Reply #162 on: August 29, 2016, 07:35:37 AM
Has anyone been to Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, Tennessee ?  Cold Steel has an impressive amount of floor space to show off their knives. They got all their swords, knives, axes, and accessories from CS.  :gimme:

Been there once back in 03 or 04. Very  8)  place. I was going else where but being a knife knut and having bought many a knife from there catalog I had to detour and stop in and look around. I dont remember the CS stuff as I was looking and other knives at the time.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #163 on: August 31, 2016, 05:32:50 PM
Just a few Rajah love pics...

four versions, all are equally loved

(AUS-8 Black Coated, AUS-8 Rajah II, BD1 Rajah II, Rajah I)

anyone else here?

Nobody?

My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #164 on: September 01, 2016, 11:09:59 PM
I think these pics haven't been posted here, so I'll share some more love for this awesome company   :gimme:

My toys:

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #165 on: September 07, 2016, 06:57:45 PM
My only Cold Steel knife;a Recon 1 I picked up at a yard sale for $5.Scratched up a bit but I cleaned off most of the blade and it is just fine now.I don't carry it as it is a bit much and I prefer small knives rarely exceeding 2 1/2 inches in blade length.Knife is very well made though.
ColdSteelRecon1 4 001.jpg
* ColdSteelRecon1 4 001.jpg (Filesize: 46.36 KB)
ColdSteelRecon1 4 002.jpg
* ColdSteelRecon1 4 002.jpg (Filesize: 51.4 KB)
ColdSteelRecon1BladeFix 001.jpg
* ColdSteelRecon1BladeFix 001.jpg (Filesize: 34.52 KB)
ColdSteelRecon1BladeFix 002.jpg
* ColdSteelRecon1BladeFix 002.jpg (Filesize: 41.28 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #166 on: September 07, 2016, 09:35:35 PM
My only Cold Steel knife;a Recon 1 I picked up at a yard sale for $5.Scratched up a bit but I cleaned off most of the blade and it is just fine now.I don't carry it as it is a bit much and I prefer small knives rarely exceeding 2 1/2 inches in blade length.Knife is very well made though.

Nice one! Recons are made to take a beating, indeed

they look sexier all beat up :D
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #167 on: September 11, 2016, 04:18:49 PM
My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #168 on: September 12, 2016, 12:46:25 PM
My toys:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #169 on: September 13, 2016, 12:46:56 AM
ESPADA!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #170 on: September 13, 2016, 12:48:20 AM
ESPADA!
(Image removed from quote.)
I have one and used to carry it a good bit but i got too fed up with the bead blast rusting.. Intimidating blade though!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #171 on: September 13, 2016, 12:52:46 AM
ESPADA!
I have one and used to carry it a good bit but i got too fed up with the bead blast rusting.. Intimidating blade though!

Try the polished version.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #172 on: September 13, 2016, 12:54:41 AM
ESPADA!

Try the polished version.
I wish! Cant justify the price for that one in my head. Especially with other things on my wish list.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #173 on: September 13, 2016, 04:21:11 PM
My toys:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #174 on: September 15, 2016, 08:44:14 PM
G10 Espada, sanded down the bead blasted blade to a high gloss finish.
IMG_3029.JPG
* IMG_3029.JPG (Filesize: 237 KB)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:40:32 PM by Kampfer »

Offline Minnesota Man

• New User
Reply #175 on: September 18, 2016, 03:52:09 AM
Hello this is my first post here. CS is hands down my favorite knife company! I own roughly 50 of their products. Countless knives,  machetes, war clubs, plastic knives a Spear and more.
 I enjoy their aggressive videos if your products are as good as they are why not brag. I carry a folder at my retail job, a recon 1 spear point with carpenter steel. Because i trust the tri ad lock with my life. I carry a fixed blade when doing my other jobs often times cold steel. I hope they take a swing at MTs.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #176 on: September 18, 2016, 04:03:15 AM
Hello this is my first post here. CS is hands down my favorite knife company! I own roughly 50 of their products. Countless knives,  machetes, war clubs, plastic knives a Spear and more.
 I enjoy their aggressive videos if your products are as good as they are why not brag. I carry a folder at my retail job, a recon 1 spear point with carpenter steel. Because i trust the tri ad lock with my life. I carry a fixed blade when doing my other jobs often times cold steel. I hope they take a swing at MTs.
Welcome to MTO min man.
Good to have you here. but.....
 :worthless:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #177 on: September 18, 2016, 10:38:32 AM
G10 Espada, sanded down the bead blasted blade to a high gloss finish.

Excellent job, Kampf.  :tu:
May I ask what did you use? How did you sand it down to that finish? I want a shiny Espada, and a blackie Rajah to tote around. Thanks!

My toys:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #178 on: September 18, 2016, 08:36:51 PM
I started with 320 grit sandpaper by hand slowly to remove the bead blaster surface, once that is done switch to 1500 grit to shine it up. I am happy with the result but it still not as shiny as satin finish. Aus8 is not too hard so the process was speedy. Took me an hour to get that result.

If you really want a shiny Espada then you must get the classy Version of Espada, it's stunningly beautiful, there are no other knives like it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 08:39:11 PM by Kampfer »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #179 on: September 19, 2016, 06:13:41 PM
Thanks, Kampf, I think it looks nice   :tu:

My love pic for today:

My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%