Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

WrenchIt

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
WrenchIt
on: May 30, 2016, 02:01:26 AM
Just saw this on ToolGuyd from back in March. Traced it to a Kickstarter page. It looks like the campaign has ended and they are in the early stages of production. It looks pretty cool! Check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2054052511/wrenchit-turning-smart/description

I see A LOT of room for expanding the original toolset beyond the "Allen" wrenches, cap lifter, and wingnut/spoke wrench package. Scrapers, blades, strippers, pry-tips... who knows. They could even develop the sleeve to store extra pieces on the reverse side. Maybe have a pocket clip on it? Ruler marks. Maybe incorporate the same concept onto the body a multitool.

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but I did a quick search and nothing turned up.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: WrenchIt
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 03:36:42 AM
Looks like a neat device they have there :cheers:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 06:43:17 AM
That, is actually not too bad. Reminds me of one of these

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 06:53:03 AM
Yeah. I've seen the kick-starter, clever idea. But, wouldn't even a small crescent wrench do the same thing ultimately?
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:28:10 AM
Not a big fan of this design. When i saw this on kickstarter i look at the picture carefully and for me the wrench are too thin. Like 2mm max. And for me this is too thin to apply enough force on bolt without damaging the bolt. And the retention part is quite small also.
For me it can be usefull to hold a bolt but not to apply the kind of torque i deal with.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 11:18:16 AM
Interesting idea but I'm With Kaput  on this one
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 02:04:19 PM
Maybe for ultra-light cyclists, or Solar Cars? Something where weight is that much of a factor it could be worth sacrificing some efficacy, I would be relunctant to carry it for fear of losing the parts (does it still work without a full load?, or once one is gone, will the rest slide around inside in the rails too much?)

and as previously stated, it doesn't seem high-torque for a few reasons.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 03:48:07 PM
That, is actually not too bad. Reminds me of one of these (Image removed from quote.)

Their earlier projects appear to be inspired by these pencils.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 03:49:38 PM
Of course a dedicated crescent wrench would be better than this. I see this as similar in application to a Piranha or Pocket Wrench II, or really any OPT that features those multiple wrench cutouts. Obviously, this is not a replacement for a dedicated wrench, but a good stand-in if weight were a factor. Kind of like a multitool. :tu:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 05:23:08 PM
That, is actually not too bad. Reminds me of one of these (Image removed from quote.)

That was the first thing I thought of as well!

As for the tool itself, it is a neat idea.  Like everyone else I'm not entirely certain what need it fills, but I'd like to get my hands on one when they come available and see how it actually works.  I use my wrenches quite a bit (as has been discussed recently) but it might be neat to have a more compact glove compartment type version.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 05:53:47 PM
I think the price is going to be a big hurdle on this tool. They project a retail price of $55 for the full set (sleeve plus all 10 metric inserts; add $10 for three imperial wrenches). You can get a Rebar, MP600, or a SwitchPlier for less than that and this thing is pretty limited by comparison. Even aimed at bikers, you can get the fully loaded Topeak Mini-20 Pro for like $25. That doesn't have box wrenches but for a cost per function comparison, this makes the WrenchIt look like a poor value. However, if it were priced similarly to a Piranha or PWII I think they would stand a better chance with the general population.

I believe it would be best if beefed up. The inserts should be at least 4mm thick, IMO. I think this idea has a lot of potential, though. Hopefully they develop it further

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 06:35:22 PM

That was the first thing I thought of as well!

As for the tool itself, it is a neat idea.  Like everyone else I'm not entirely certain what need it fills, but I'd like to get my hands on one when they come available and see how it actually works.  I use my wrenches quite a bit (as has been discussed recently) but it might be neat to have a more compact glove compartment type version.

Def

"hey, that looks like those pencils I had when I was a kid"

Looks like we're on the same wavelength.:D  As this stands I'm not sure I see the huge benefit over a simple adjustable spanner but it looks well executed.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 09:32:05 PM
A dedicated adjustable wrench looks like a better solution.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%