Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Seiko Alba Opinions?

Joe58 · 15 · 2825

us Offline Joe58

Seiko Alba Opinions?
on: June 05, 2016, 03:11:30 PM
Looking for feedback for the Seiko Alba. Curious if anyone has or has had one. I'm considering adding one to my meager watch selection and wanted to see if they're any good. I know it's a pretty low end Seiko, given its $85 or so price, but that's pretty budget friendly given my low rent status. ;)

It's a smaller watch, Amazon has them in the women's section, at 38mm case size, but they don't look all that feminine to me. I'm a pretty skinny guy and the large watches always look kinda goofy on me, and are too heavy, so I prefer a smaller size.  I'm delicate. Off the subject but this post made me think of it, a friend of mine was a SEAL in Vietnam and told me once the hookers in Saigon would always poke fun at the SEAL guys and their big dive watches they always wore. Big watch, little dick, they'd say. Lol.

I noticed too it looks a whole lot like the Lorus model I pictured next to the Seiko models, so maybe it's the same watch? The Lorus is about 20 bucks cheaper though.

🇨🇭

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Seiko Alba Opinions?
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 03:22:35 PM
Lorus is a budget brand owned by Seiko.
I have a couple of Loruses. One titanium and one Lumibrite.
They are nice functional watches. The lume in the lumibrite is very strong.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:29:23 PM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Seiko Alba Opinions?
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 03:28:10 PM
If you are really on a budget soki has a similarly looking model.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Joe58

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 05:35:49 PM
I guess that would explain why the Lorus looks similar to the Alba.

I seem to recall reading somewhere, and no idea if it true as I'm not a "watch guy", that there aren't really that many watch manufacturers out there.

The makers produce/make to whichever specs the brand is requesting for their particular model. I'd assume that the real higher end guys are making their own though.

Which would make sense I guess as there are so many different brand names out there I'd be surprised if each made their own products.

I'd be scared to wear a real expensive watch. I'd manage to gouge it up somehow the first time I wore it. But then I suppose it's like a custom knife or new gun. Now that it's scratched, I can relax and use it. :)

**Forgot to ask, why does the Seiko have Alba on the face rather than Seiko? As the listing calls it a Seiko Alba. Says Seiko on the back.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:38:14 PM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

england Offline philipk5

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 08:07:54 PM
I seem to recall that Alba is one of the names associated with Seiko as is Pulsar and Lorus.

The heart of the watch is the movement and you will probably find exactly the same movement in many of the above four (probably Hattori).

On the back of the case and / or at the six o'clock position at the base of the dial there should be a series of numbers the first part refers to the movement and the second part to the case type.

Hope this makes sense.

Will try and take photos but still trying to master my camera! (It's me not the camera)

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 09:36:24 PM
Go for Citizens Urban. Cheap, nice and ecodrive.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Eco-Drive-BM8475-26E-Stainless-Leather/dp/B005MKGOOY?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Product Specifications
Watch Information

Brand, Seller, or Collection Name   Citizen
Model number   BM8475-26E
Part Number   BM8475-26E
Model Year   2012
Item Shape   Round
Dial window material type   Mineral
Display Type   Analog
Clasp   Buckle
Metal stamp   None
Case material   Stainless steel
Case diameter   42 millimeters
Case Thickness   11 millimeters
Band Material   Synthetic leather
Band length   Men's Standard
Band width   22 millimeters
Band Color   Brown
Dial color   Black
Bezel material   Stainless steel
Bezel function   Stationary
Calendar   Day and date
Special features   Luminous
Item weight   2.08 Ounces
Movement   Japanese quartz
Water resistant depth   330 Feet

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 10:29:35 PM
Recommending a 42 mm watch to someone looking at a 38 mm is like recommending a Shire to someone considering a Fjord horse. ;)

I have thin wrists and would never consider a 42 mm watch, my most used analog is 38 mm and I have smaller.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 11:27:03 PM
Recommending a 42 mm watch to someone looking at a 38 mm is like recommending a Shire to someone considering a Fjord horse. ;)

I have thin wrists and would never consider a 42 mm watch, my most used analog is 38 mm and I have smaller.

I have thin wrists too and I don´t see any problem...  :pok: :whistle:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:28:20 PM by alexTOOL »

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 06:05:13 AM
16 year old wrist that seems to be fine EDCing this beast of a watch
To me it is a matter of preference to a certain sized watch.

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

england Offline philipk5

Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 10:37:24 AM
Choice of watch is an individual and personal one. The OP stated that he preferred a smaller lighter watch and was asking for advice on Alba / Seiko / Lorus.

My advice is that he wouldn't go far wrong with most of the versions from these names. If buying second hand (and there are some really well priced ones to be had) check that the movement is still current just in case it's needed.

The most important factor is that the watch should do / have what you want, and that varies from person to person. ie water resistance, style, functions, visibility, weight, size, accuracy, investment potential, repair costs, value / price etc.

I personally have yet to find one single watch that completely fulfills all of my requirements completely, which is probably why I have more than one!

Still struggling to master my camera!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 03:21:38 PM
I had one of those Lorus watches for a few years and couldn't fault it. I worked as a Carpenter at the time and it got broken on-site in circumstances that would've broken any watch. The face was very bright and it kept great time.

The Seiko watches you've shown look classic - remind me of my one and only watch (Citizen Eco drive). As a non watch guy I think Seiko has a good name doesn't it?

Let us know what you decide.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Joe58

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 10:24:42 PM
Appreciate all the great replies and info.

Grathr was kind enough to offer me a good deal on his Lorus above and I was glad to buy it from him.

I think it'll go well into my rotation of watches I have. None are real pricey but I like them. I've a couple SAK watches, an Eco Drive, old Hamilton wind up from Vietnam. I like the look of the analog dials over a digital.

Interesting in hearing about the number codes on the watch for ID'ing the movement. Didn't know that.

Thanks guys!
🇨🇭

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 11:00:40 AM
Appreciate all the great replies and info.

Grathr was kind enough to offer me a good deal on his Lorus above and I was glad to buy it from him.

I think it'll go well into my rotation of watches I have. None are real pricey but I like them. I've a couple SAK watches, an Eco Drive, old Hamilton wind up from Vietnam. I like the look of the analog dials over a digital.

Interesting in hearing about the number codes on the watch for ID'ing the movement. Didn't know that.

Thanks guys!
Good choice - that Lorus is a great watch. Nice one Grathr.  :salute:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 06:29:53 PM
Can't go wrong with a Lorus IMHO.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 08:19:57 PM
Can't go wrong with a Lorus IMHO.
Yup, I really miss mine.

Donations

Operational Funds