Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic 74mm--my thoughts.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Vic 74mm--my thoughts.
on: June 03, 2016, 07:43:59 PM
Until today, I was a big skeptic of the 74mm line, I always thought like the 58mm, they were too small for pocket carry and everyday use unaccompanied.   Well, today I got two of them in a lot of seven SAKs--an Executive and an and Ambassador.   

I'm going to be talking about the Executive. 

Frame size is just big enough to be easily used.

Blades are just right, not too big, not too small.  And, unlike the 58mm or 65mm (Wenger) small knife frame, it has two blades in the fashion a 91mm Vic would.

Tools:   Blades are just like on 91mm, although they aren't as wide measured from spine to cutting edge, and of course, a bit shorter.    Orange peeler has a flathead screwdriver just the right size for No. 2 Philips, though they won't take much torque--OK for light work.   Scissors are smaller, of course, but not tiny like on 58mm.    Crosscut nailfile is a pretty darn good metal file also--I was surprised how agressive it was removing rust from slot car track contacts.     It's tip works great on No. 1 Phillips screws.

Weight--it's hefty for a small knife, but carries well.   

The Executive will be my new EDC for at least a while by itself. For everyday use, I see no need to have to accompany it with a larger blade.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:13:01 PM by cody6268 »

Offline sakuser

Re: Vic 74mm--my thoughts.
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 07:55:12 PM
I have an Ambassador and it is a good little knife.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 08:16:16 PM
Up until I got an Executive my thoughts were similar.  The Executive is a terrific SAK.  It would be amazing to have a small can opener on this tool.  I only open cans with my SAKs is why.  Pairing it with my Cadet just seems silly for only the can opener.
Esse Quam Videri

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 11:20:43 PM
Why can't they make something like a 74mm version of the Minichamp?
Keep what is in the Executive and add the sheepsfoot blade, the phillips/bottle-opener (!!),
and an awl like on the micro toolchest.

Ride the Music
Andytiedye

R

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 01:06:29 AM
Up until I got an Executive my thoughts were similar.  The Executive is a terrific SAK.  It would be amazing to have a small can opener on this tool.  I only open cans with my SAKs is why.  Pairing it with my Cadet just seems silly for only the can opener.

Get a P34 or P58 can opener and add it to the keychain.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 01:10:49 AM

Get a P34 or P58 can opener and add it to the keychain.

Exactly what I do, along with a Craftsman 4-way driver. My Executive lived on my keys for years, until I replaced it with a Rambler. Honestly, the Rambler doesn't see a tenth of the use the Exec did. I was thinking about switching back the other day, I think I will this weekend. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 01:37:03 AM
The 74mm line have surprisingly robust blades for their size.  I was impressed with the width of the spine on the main blades of these knifes.  Huge Executive fan, great knife with an interesting complement of tools. They probably could add a cap lifter to the orange peeler though, and make the nail cleaner more of a phillips-head tip, just saying   :whistle:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 12:46:28 PM
I rarely carry any 74mm, but I always take one when I can't take anything bigger (ie like huntsman or 03 soldier)
The only reason? 84mm don't have scissors ...
For now I only have ambassador derivatives :
Ambassador rocketship, Silver money clip, And recently acquired red money clip and Windsor...

Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 03:15:25 PM
58mm vs 74mm:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60766.msg1121087.html#msg1121087

I maintain that the 74mm line is an answer to a question that no one asked.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 06:11:31 PM
I love the 74mm SAKs, especially the Executive.

My favorite dress SAK, carries great in a slacks pocket and has all the tools one would need at a fancy ocasion like a wedding or something like it and wouldn't seem threatening to non knife folks. My favorite one is of course dressed in black scales. :vader:

I also have a Director (a gift from Reinier :hatsoff: ) and a Windsor i got for a steal but somehow prefer to carry the Executive for the scale tools that come in handy quite often. 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 12:55:43 AM
Another huge Executive fan here.  I've carried one daily for 8 months or so now and I won't be stopping soon.  The blade is the perfect size for a plethora of daily tasks, and I like the spare blade so I can keep one razor sharp for finer work.  The orange peeler is a great clamshell opener and I do use the screwdriver on it a bit.  The scissors are the main workhorse for me on this knife.  I think I might even prefer them to a 91mm vic for my purposes.  I also utilize the nail file pretty much every time I trim my fingernails.  All around awesome EDC SAK.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 02:36:47 AM
Well, my Executive is back on my keys where it belongs! :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 03:41:01 AM
Well, my Executive is back on my keys where it belongs! :tu:

Nice!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!