Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do skills like proofreading and spell checking even exist anymore?

Whoey · 90 · 3356

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
All you need to say can be expressed with a simple "ough".

This cracked me up, because the most common words to be butchered are ones ending in ough.

What the hell is a borough anyway? (borrow? burrow? barrow? boroff? bow-ruff? bo-rooge? Come on, someone help me out here!)

A fun game is asking people to spell twelfth. That's a bloody stupid word if I ever I heard one.

I meant to type "ugh" :facepalm:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Ah, you were reading an article with a number in the title.

That was your first mistake.

Whilst I essentially agree with your argument and distress, getting upset about this sort of thing (in the environment that you experienced it) is a bit like getting upset about urine in the kiddy pool.

In the immortal (and slightly amended) words of Donny Astricky "[...]stay [your] [...] ass out the pool"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Sea Monster...just try to have today's Millennials present in front of a classroom environment...then you would realize that although they may be able to express themselves wonderfully using electronic media, they are doing themselves no favours when it comes time to speaking to others face to face.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Actually one of the things I've been doing lately for some cash is translating some documents from Spanish to English. While doing this I have noted several mistakes and passed them on with my finished interpretation of the documents. The company I do them for is thrilled by this attention to detail.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• No Life Club
Sea Monster...just try to have today's Millennials present in front of a classroom environment...then you would realize that although they may be able to express themselves wonderfully using electronic media, they are doing themselves no favours when it comes time to speaking to others face to face.

Speaking of made up words - Millennials gets my goat (idioms anyone?)

As to your point - It would not (avoiding contractions, they are complicated, and people might start thinking my would owns nots? wood knots? This should be in the outdoor forum :P ) surprise me that there is that offset in learning and or or development.

Having said that, most world leaders probably have a twitter account. Orating is for stage actors and the people who stand outside shops with loudspeakers telling you a new toaster will solve problems you never knew you had.*

I am trying to be linguistly ridiculous (if not cunning) on as many tiers (The germans in the room are wondering if I am on a farm, with all my goats and other animals) as possible.

*I don't actually believe this, in case anyone was worried.

On the other hand, I may be a carefully coded bot, designed to farm forums for some purpose, and incapable of speech.

Go on, ask me if I'm human.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:44:05 PM by Sea Monster »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Speaking of made up words - Millennials gets my goat (idioms anyone?)

As to your point - It would not (avoiding contractions, they are complicated, and people might start thinking my would owns nots? wood knots? This should be in the outdoor forum :P ) surprise me that there is that offset in learning and or or development.

Having said that, most world leaders probably have a twitter account. Orating is for stage actors and the people who stand outside shops with loudspeakers telling you a new toaster will solve problems you never knew you had.*

I am trying to be linguistly ridiculous (if not cunning) on as many tiers (The germans in the room are wondering if I am on a farm, with all my goats and other animals) as possible.

*I don't actually believe this, in case anyone was worried.

On the other hand, I may be a carefully coded bot, designed to farm forums for some purpose, and incapable of speech.

Go on, ask me if I'm human.

You've already said you're a sea monster.

* Unknown.jpeg (Filesize: 8.1 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Excellent point.... 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Pretty sure the only reason I still have a job is because I can really read.......like instructions, RTFM & all that smurf.

People can't read anymore, so they are just happily ignorant.

What crawls up my nose is you native english speakers that can't figure out THERE and THEIR..........ffs I had to learn that 25+ years ago, and not my monkey, not my circus   :twak:

:rofl:

The THERE and THEIR thing drives me nuts too.  Another one that probably bugs me even more is YOUR and YOU'RE :bnghd:
K-Tibbs

nz Offline moonweasel

Pretty sure the only reason I still have a job is because I can really read.......like instructions, RTFM & all that smurf.

What crawls up my nose is you native english speakers that can't figure out THERE and THEIR..........ffs I had to learn that 25+ years ago, and not my monkey, not my circus   :twak:

The THERE and THEIR thing drives me nuts too.  Another one that probably bugs me even more is YOUR and YOU'RE :bnghd:

'Then'/'than', and 'sell'/'sale' (as in, "for sell"). They seem to be getting pretty common too. :facepalm:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!

'Then'/'than', and 'sell'/'sale' (as in, "for sell"). They seem to be getting pretty common too. :facepalm:
Oh yeah.  Then/than bugs me too.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!

Oh yeah.  Then/than bugs me too.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Does that bug you alot?...

:whistle:

Show content

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:48:14 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline Syncop8r

I hate it when apostrophe's are used whenever there is an "s" at the end of a word.

• No Life Club
A panda goes to a restaurant and eats, shoots and leaves.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 12:43:34 PM by Sea Monster »

nz Offline Syncop8r

A panda goes to a restaurant and eats, shoots and leaves.

I thought it was a male chauvinist vegetarian who eats roots shoots and leaves...  :whistle:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
It's hard to make "these young people today" understand that little things count and make a BIG difference in the meaning of sentences. Apostrophes, commas and even capitalisation MATTER.
A single capital letter is the difference between helping your uncle Jack off his horse and helping your uncle jack off his horse.

A recent video on YouTube caught my eye as it was from a YouTuber who usually has quite different content but it illustrates the point that your communication skills strongly influence other people's opinion of you.

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Well...
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
What a difference that makes huh?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I am great at making overly large post and proofreading them afterwards, and still making idiotic mistakes in my posts. Mind you, I only find them a day after when I cannot fix them. Most annoying that.

I think this is worse when considering that I proofread student papers all the time. Even I am not immune to the typo.  ::)

What really bothers me, in Ontario they do not teach cursive writing anymore...meaning I have to block print everything I do on a blackboard or whiteboard.  :facepalm:

Seriously?  That's simply flabberghasting. :o

I don't expect everyone to have perfect spelling and grammar, but the basics aren't that hard unless the person is dyslexic or similar.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
It's hard to make "these young people today" understand that little things count and make a BIG difference in the meaning of sentences. Apostrophes, commas and even capitalisation MATTER.
A single capital letter is the difference between helping your uncle Jack off his horse and helping your uncle jack off his horse.

A recent video on YouTube caught my eye as it was from a YouTuber who usually has quite different content but it illustrates the point that your communication skills strongly influence other people's opinion of you.

My regard for Hickok45 has just risen a notch higher. :salute:

• No Life Club
This is less effective in writing, but it is related to the subject of punctuation.

It is a fairly well known fact amongst public speakers that the most effective tool you have in your arsenal is....Pauses.

Off hand, the local spell checker does not approve of Amongst.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I really do hate it when I check a post I have typed a day or two ago just to see a completely misspelled word :facepalm: Of course I proofread it and thought it was good enough to press post but I am apparently dyslexic :D

On a side note I have found this thread very humorous :rofl: I am sure I have broken many of these grammar rules myself but it isn't usually from lack of trying :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
You think that's bad?

Thanks to your necro posts I'm seeing my spelling and grammar mistakes from a decade ago!   :P

Including the good old days when I double spaced everything except my signature.

:facepalm:

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
you should see how some people spell soccer...    :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D      :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
you should see how some people spell soccer...    :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D      :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You mean like this?

F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L

???

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Not bad, the capitals are unnecessary, but, for someone whose first language is, probably, French, it is not that bad. The minus signs also need to go.   :tu: :tu: :tu:   :salute: :salute:

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return

You mean like this?

F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L

???

Def

You mean that game that is predominantly played by kicking a ball around with your feet?  I've no idea why it should be known as football. :think:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
You think that's bad?

Thanks to your necro posts I'm seeing my spelling and grammar mistakes from a decade ago!   :P

Including the good old days when I double spaced everything except my signature.

:facepalm:

Def

You only double spaced to make the posts look longer :pok: :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Yes

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Posting for posts sake

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%