Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do skills like proofreading and spell checking even exist anymore?

Whoey · 90 · 3355

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
you should see how some people spell soccer...    :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D      :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You mean like this?

F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L

???

Def

You mean that game that is predominantly played by kicking a ball around with your feet?  I've no idea why it should be known as football. :think:

I thought they only did that as a way to pretend they are getting hurt so they could flop all over the pitch?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Nice video, that ^^^
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Nice video, that ^^^

I agree.  Though it might be nice if sportsmanship was more common.  I do feel that a footballer who takes a dive and benefits from it should be penalised after the game. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline firiki

Nice video, that ^^^

I agree.  Though it might be nice if sportsmanship was more common.  I do feel that a footballer who takes a dive and benefits from it should be penalised after the game.

This has happened a few times in the past, I believe. I think there might be a question of altered results and matches that should be played again if authorities were to penalise players for false referee decisions. Poor ref decisions are also a part of the game; what I really hate is seeing some things happen intentionally for whatever reason. There's lots of money around and in professional football but IMO precisely this professional status is ultimately taking away much of the game's charm.

Sportsmanship is one of the things I like about football. To quote Albert Camus, "Everything I know about morality and the obligations of men, I owe it to football". I understand what is meant by this sentence.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
I hope penalising this type of shameful cheating does get cracked down on.  It does nothing to help the sport's reputation.

Silly music aside, this make for embarrassing watching.  :facepalm:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gr Offline firiki

Agreed, nothing flattering for the sport's reputation in that sort of play and it should be castigated. Off with their balls ::)

What's worse is seeing superstar players, who get a lot of attention from the media and the fans like them, act so slyly. These people often are role models to young people aspiring to be like them. What message are they getting across? Plus, there are so many cameras filming them so eventually everyone can see them pretending, so sly players only make a fool of themselves.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:21:57 AM by firiki »

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Veering wildly with the subject here,

My thoughts are to simply disband professional sportsball leagues.

I enjoy kicking a ball, or swinging a racquet as much as the next person, but if you're getting paid more than an honest tradesman to play sports with someone's logo on your back, I would really struggle to care if you fell in a pit.

(the cash and fame is probably also the source of all the dishonesty in, let's say, every sport, the agendas of all the "hangers on" who form the various sporting bodies, and the derailing of what are probably very nice men and women into being total smurfs)

gr Offline firiki

Veering wildly with the subject here,

My thoughts are to simply disband professional sportsball leagues.

I enjoy kicking a ball, or swinging a racquet as much as the next person, but if you're getting paid more than an honest tradesman to play sports with someone's logo on your back, I would really struggle to care if you fell in a pit.

(the cash and fame is probably also the source of all the dishonesty in, let's say, every sport, the agendas of all the "hangers on" who form the various sporting bodies, and the derailing of what are probably very nice men and women into being total smurfs)

Still proves we can read and write some, right?  :D

I agree with what you everything you said. I do like watching (good) football but I am not really a sports spectator. I may gaze at something from time to time but that's it. Professional athletes can live without me anyway.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
About spelling:
In German they "reformed" (read here screwed up) the grammar and spelling of lots of words in 1996. That is of course AFTER I had learned spelling and grammar... So, I never bothered to learn the new grammatical rules or spelling :stinkefinger:*

This week I had the worst of all typos, I wrote "an" instead of "ab" turning the whole sentence to the opposite and no spellchecker can save you from that ("Ich melde mich an/ab.").

In general I don't mind typos and grammatical errors. What truly annoys me is if someone sends me an email "nothing works on my website"... In the end it turned out that, a client  of his, could not print out a page because the printer was unplugged**
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

* German speaking guys will understand
** Happened today

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Sooo ...
What did you sign uo for? >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Agreed, nothing flattering for the sport's reputation in that sort of play and it should be castigated. Off with their balls ::)

What's worse is seeing superstar players, who get a lot of attention from the media and the fans like them, act so slyly. These people often are role models to young people aspiring to be like them. What message are they getting across? Plus, there are so many cameras filming them so eventually everyone can see them pretending, so sly players only make a fool of themselves.

Put them up against hockey players...

Guys have had their jugulars slashed with skates, goalies have played with broken cheekbones, and one guy even died on the bench and came back later on to play.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
while I normally would side with you in general re hockey players vs football/soccer... most football players play 2x 45 min shifts... most hockey players rarely have more than a few minutes of ice time without a break... obviously hockey is a much faster paced sport... I think the acting in football (getting their calf muscle kicked and grabbing their ear/face in a gesture of pain :think:  :shrug:) ruins any credibility they have as superior athletes.

The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
while I normally would side with you in general re hockey players vs football/soccer... most football players play 2x 45 min shifts... most hockey players rarely have more than a few minutes of ice time without a break... obviously hockey is a much faster paced sport... I think the acting in football (getting their calf muscle kicked and grabbing their ear/face in a gesture of pain :think:  :shrug:) ruins any credibility they have as superior athletes.

I wouldn't say they are superior at all.  An endurance athlete is different than a sprinter.  Hockey is about burst strength/durability and intensity just like American Football.  As a former player in High school I can tell you that American Football is definitely brutal in it's own right.  I have several injuries that plague me to prove it.  But Soccer is an endurance sport, something I'm not built for so I have tons of respect for those athletes.  But, just like basketball, drawing fouls and acting has taken over the sport and it's ridiculous.  Makes me want to stop watching.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Rugby is the real man's sport.

American football without the sissy protective gear.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Sooo ...
What did you sign uo for? >:D
aqua gym for pregnant ladies... I mean I'm a bit overweight but nowhere near pregnant looking :ahhh

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team

Very true.  We played rugby in our offseasons for practice every year, and it is much bloodier and bruise-ier than football.  In fact we couldn't go a month without someone breaking a collarbone.

Although my shoulder pain indicates that protective gear ain't all that protective...  My injury happened 15 years ago and still hurts. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:55:30 PM by Mercury »
Sean

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

Very true. 

Although my shoulder pain indicates that protective gear ain't all that protective...  My injury happened 15 years ago and still hurts.

Are you sure that isn't an internet related injury?  :P

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
probably similar to those back pains most of us have from older guys spurring us on when we were younger... "put your back into it... is that all you got..." etc  :facepalm:
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
probably similar to those back pains most of us have from older guys spurring us on when we were younger... "put your back into it... is that all you got..." etc  :facepalm:

Yea they were ruthless when I was playing football.  Made me work hard, but part of me wonders if they actually knew what they were doing...

Very true. 

Are you sure that isn't an internet related injury?  :P

Def

:D

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Honestly, no respect for soccerplayers from my side.
It's construction workers and kindergarden teachers whom I admire.
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Honestly, no respect for soccerplayers from my side.
It's construction workers and kindergarden teachers whom I admire.

Tell me more Tomcat :dd:  :rofl:

Need more people with that midset :cheers:

Over here we are low men on the totem pole unfortunately :(

When they need a school, church, prison, jail or college building who do they come to though ??? No really who do they come to :think:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Civil engineers?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nz Offline Syncop8r

:whistle:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Civil engineers?

No he said construction workers and kindergarten teachers :twak: :D

Quite interesting thing I learnt* a couple of weeks ago (great student's work on Canadian Native Tribes): It's not the figures high up on the totem pole that were seen as the most important ones, but those at the bottom, being the foundations of everything.

Tomcat
( a couple of months of real work always make me love my spot behind the keyboard again ;-) )

*BE spelling convention, my duck!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:19:07 PM by Tomcat_81 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Quite interesting thing I learnt a couple of weeks ago (great student's work on Canadian Native Tribes): It's not the figures high up on the totem pole that were seen as the most important ones but those at the bottom, being the foundations of everything.

Tomcat
( a couple of months of real work made me love my spot behind the keyboard again ;-) )

When you say it like that it sounds pretty good :D

Quite interesting thing I learnt a couple of weeks ago (great student's work on Canadian Native Tribes): It's not the figures high up on the totem pole that were seen as the most important ones but those at the bottom, being the foundations of everything.

Tomcat
( a couple of months of real work made me love my spot behind the keyboard again ;-) )

Sadly might not show on the pay check though...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Tomcat

Sadly might not show on the pay check though...

For straight out of high school to work I can't complain about the pay :cheers: I started in the summers for the same company I work for now when I was 15 and  started learning how to lay brick when I was 16 though :cheers: I made full journeyman by 20 :tu: Plus after 17 years of it everyday I still enjoy it :cheers:

nz Offline moonweasel

:whistle:
Every time I hear that story.... :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69