Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone have the bladeless Rebar?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Anyone have the bladeless Rebar?
on: June 06, 2016, 10:50:41 PM
Just wondering if anyone has bought one yet. I can't recall seeing one on the forum strangely enough.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Anyone have the bladeless Rebar?
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:23:49 PM
I wished they would be an option to swap out the SE blade for the scissors and keep the PE blade :gimme:

Sadly though the knifeless Rebar will probably never make my buying list though :D

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:25:19 PM
I wished they would be an option to swap out the SE blade for the scissors and keep the PE blade :gimme:

Sadly though the knifeless Rebar will probably never make my buying list though :D

Why buy it , you can mod it  :cheers:
Knifeless Rebar.jpg
* Knifeless Rebar.jpg (Filesize: 37.42 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:43:28 PM

Why buy it , you can mod it  :cheers:

I am looking for the tools now to get the parts that I need to mod it :cheers:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 12:10:18 AM
I know they have been modded to oblivion.  :twak:  :D Just wondering if anyone has actually purchased one.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 01:04:57 AM
I know they have been modded to oblivion.  :twak:  :D Just wondering if anyone has actually purchased one.

That would be funny , If any Member buy one  :rofl:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 03:20:22 AM
I won't be buying one, I like having a blade on my MT.  I do wish they would come out with a model that has a blade and scissors, hell they've come out with enough Skeletool variants why not?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 03:42:39 AM
I won't be buying one, I like having a blade on my MT.  I do wish they would come out with a model that has a blade and scissors, hell they've come out with enough Skeletool variants why not?

Yeah they have done the Skeletool to death, so you know they aren't afraid to do variations for the same tool ??? Wished they would give an option for a diamond file and scissors with just a PE blade :drool:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 03:47:03 AM

Yeah they have done the Skeletool to death, so you know they aren't afraid to do variations for the same tool ??? Wished they would give an option for a diamond file and scissors with just a PE blade :drool:

I don't know what the deal is.  Leatherman is all about filling niche's in the market and building weird smurf that eventually fizzles out, but they shy away from diversifying the inboard tool style that got them where they are today.  I personally MUCH prefer a traditional Leatherman (PST, ST, Rebar, Pulse) to anything else they make. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 07:14:13 PM

I don't know what the deal is.  Leatherman is all about filling niche's in the market and building weird smurf that eventually fizzles out, but they shy away from diversifying the inboard tool style that got them where they are today.  I personally MUCH prefer a traditional Leatherman (PST, ST, Rebar, Pulse) to anything else they make.

The Rebar is a good step in the right direction for them to get back to their roots :cheers: I just wish they could walk a little faster and get to where we want them to :D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 07:21:52 PM

The Rebar is a good step in the right direction for them to get back to their roots :cheers: I just wish they could walk a little faster and get to where we want them to :D

I sure hope so because to much tugging at that plant means you can uproot it if you get what i'm saying. A uprooted plant is a dead plant most of the time. Now I doubt Leatherman is going to run the business into the ground anytime soon if ever as i'm sure they make a generous profit, but with things like spending tons of money producing products that don't sell as well as research cost's and losing customers to increased prices and less quality control could be a major strain on the business.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 08:32:45 PM

I sure hope so because to much tugging at that plant means you can uproot it if you get what i'm saying. A uprooted plant is a dead plant most of the time. Now I doubt Leatherman is going to run the business into the ground anytime soon if ever as i'm sure they make a generous profit, but with things like spending tons of money producing products that don't sell as well as research cost's and losing customers to increased prices and less quality control could be a major strain on the business.

Yeah I know Cap :ahhh Hopefully they are going in the right direction an if some of these tools do flop then they learn from it instead of making the mistake over and over :cheers:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 09:08:33 PM

Yeah I know Cap :ahhh Hopefully they are going in the right direction an if some of these tools do flop then they learn from it instead of making the mistake over and over :cheers:

Sadly they already have released a bunch of tools that did not do well as far as I can tell and they keep going in that same direction. No lesson learned.

I understand that I am just a small percentage of the type of people who buy MT's. I would say 85% of their customers are one time buyers. Most people just buy a multitool and have it forever. They never need another. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The people who collect MT's are the minority in this equation, yet we have the loudest opinion which can be frustrating as the company is going to do what the majority wants as that's where they pull the most profit which keeps the lights on and the doors open. None of us really know the statistics for tool sales so we cannot say for sure if they are in fact making the wrong decisions in tool design or not. I am (speaking for myself) not to happy with the direction they have gone in the past few years as it does not appeal to my liking, but that does not matter at all if the majority feels differently and their sales confirm that. My opinion does not matter at all, but you know what I mean. I just wish they would take feedback from the Multitool lovers not the sales statistics, but in the end it's a business and I don't blame them. I may not be happy, but I understand.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 10:01:13 PM
    Leatherman realized from many social-media posts there was a need to have a weaponless multitool. Knives raise the risk of injuries, accidental or on purpose, and can be used as a weapon. Knife blades raise the cost of insurance and liability. As such, if an employee is caught with a weapon they can be fired on the spot.
    Tread is not considered a threat and is an acceptable form of work carry.

US Government facilities, including hospitals, (hope to) ban weapons from even being on their premises. Security/Police will arrest a person violating the weapons ban, and detain you if it is suspected you're carrying a weapon. Don't matter how you view a tool as being just a tool, the threat is there in the form of knife blades.

Leatherman assumes their customers won't intentionally void the limited lifetime warranty. An exchanger option could of been used.

One thing I can say is if there's an awl on board, the knifeless issue isn't much of an issue if people would sharpen the awl. You've got a Wharncliffe blade. And it's tucked away inside the multitool that only smurfholes or TSA agents would pitch a fit about it. Not seen, not a threat, right? ::)

Am ashamed that Leatherman did not put a large scissors in place of a blade, and at least put a diamond-coated file in place of the other blade. Two files for two different needs could of been right there. :salute:

The saw, liability. The awl, leave it right there. *Jedi mind wipe* You see no awl. Nail-clippers would of been a good option too

Could use another Rebar for future modifications or repairs. The one currently on hand has old Charge pliers and dinky scissors (that are sometimes missed, more so when I tear a nail.)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

fi Offline temo

Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 10:32:06 PM
It is a bit odd to have a saw and not a knife. Though some people say they carry knife anyway. I again almost never carry a plain knife. For random stuff using mt knife. But if I would carry plain knife, this could be a good option. There would still be room for one knife rebar maybe with scissors. Or thinner one blade without a saw as well (or with surge type adapter where saw or file can be attached).

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 06:20:16 AM
Just wondering if anyone has bought one yet. I can't recall seeing one on the forum strangely enough.

Are they even in the wild yet? I want to see one, don't want to buy one.

Scissors... bah. Take out the blades, make it slimmer, same size the PST was but with saw and file. THAT I'd buy.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 06:46:34 AM

Are they even in the wild yet? I want to see one, don't want to buy one.

Scissors... bah. Take out the blades, make it slimmer, same size the PST was but with saw and file. THAT I'd buy.

Knifeless Rebar - 15 Tools instead of 17

¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 02:08:22 PM
This is a very lazy attempt by Leatherman. Very disappointing to say the least.  :facepalm:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 02:22:45 PM
This is a very lazy attempt by Leatherman. Very disappointing to say the least.  :facepalm:

Sadly we are getting used to it.   :(

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 02:33:16 PM
I assume the knfeless rebar has washers to account for the space of the blades. That's just silly.
I put the wave scissors in my rebar, and the only thing I removed was the lanyard ring.
If they had removed the serrated blade in favor of scissors that would be desirable.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 05:32:56 PM
No plans to get one.
I can see where some people might need a knifeless tool. There are companies that don't allow knives, except for safety utility knives.
Where I worked knives were allowed but not for company business. The Receiving dock and stockers had to use an auto retracting, safety, piece of smurf utility knife. I did repairs sometimes, so for me the rules were over looked.

Some people carry a knife and may see another blade as redundant. I don't see a large market for a knifeless Rebar, it's going to be a niche tool at best.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 05:45:19 PM
The execution isn't the best, but hey this is really good for those that carry a knife anyways!
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 07:39:13 PM
I kind of assumed that the knife less rebar was meant to be more work safe and tsa compliant, but by having a super sharp saw, seems this may negate that fact? But having a travel tool this size and function could have been nice for travelers I suppose. Or, you could pack A rebar with knife (not carry on) if I'm not mistaken. No real need During flight anyways...

I wouldn't mind the addition of the scissors as I'm sure most wouldn't. I would gladly substitute the lanyard loop for scissors as reamer punch mentioned above. Now I need a wave scissor ;) for my rebar. Been wanting to mod that anyway.

I don't think I really said anything everyone else hasn't. I think the idea is ok, but fell short on the execution and just missed the mark. Will never own one.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 10:58:55 PM
Another market for knifeless tools is people like me, who really hate using an MT as knife. Especially those with inward opening tools, like the Rebar, are annoying, since the edge is so far behind the handle (as you a get half the handle between the edge and your fingers). I don't like lazy versions like the one in this thread, but an inspired, knifeless MT is something I like.

Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 11:14:03 PM
    Leatherman really out to put a light saber in there in place of the blades.
  Come on, the 22nd Century was so yesterday.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:18:58 PM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 01:19:37 PM
I confess.  I bought one the other day online from REI because of a memorial day sale. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%