Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Read any good books lately??

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Read any good books lately??
on: July 31, 2008, 06:36:02 PM
I love reading books. Just finished Brainwash, a book about the CIA and American government attempts at mind control since the 1930’s too the 1990’s
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: Read any good books lately??
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:47:08 PM
#1. Home and Workshop Guide to Sharpening by Harry Walton (1967)  - garage sale purchase - covers sharpening to the "N'th"  degree.

#2. Sharpening Made Easy by Steve Bottorff ( 2002 ) - ALL you need to know about sharpening in 94 pages .

#3. Playing with Trains by Sam Posey (2005) - wonderfully strange and vibrant culture of model railroading.

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:03:28 PM
Heldenhammer by Graham McNeill

Awesomely good book, even if your not a Warhammer fan :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:15:10 PM
I just finished reading The Kid Who Climbed Everest by Bear Grylls..
B

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:24:50 PM
I just finished the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. Again. :D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:57:03 AM
Extreme Righteousness by Tom Hovestol.

He explains how a lot of modern Christians(especially Fundamentalists) are similar to the Pharisees in the Bible. They(like the Pharisees of old) are so wrapped up in the "rules" that they forget the message of forgiveness, charity and loving your neighbor.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 02:02:55 AM
I have started re-reading The New Jedi Order series of Star Wars books.  I read many of them initially, but the distribution of them got a little wonky at one point, and I lost interest when I missed a few books here and there and couldn't keep up.  I now have all of them, so I'm starting them again, seeing as how it's been a few years since I read them.

The last book I read that I simply couldn't put down was the last one in the Harry Potter series.  It was simply amazing, but in order to really get into it you will need to read the whole series, which isn't a bad thing either.  Don't cheat and watch the movies either- they are good, but don't really do the books justice.  For a bunch of "kid's books" they were quite good, and they also became more adult as Harry grew up.  In fact, the last one will probably get an R Rating when they make the movie- there's lots of violence, gore, killings and maimings.

I like to go back to the Lord of the Rings series every now and then- it's uncanny how every time I read them you pick up on things you missed in the previous 400 times you read it!

And, speaking of books and movies, I recently read "I Am Legend" and I really wish that Will Smith would invest some of his bazillions of dollars in reading lessons... or pay someone to read books to him.  The movie versions of I Am Legend and I, Robot had nothing to do with the books that supposedly inspired them, other than the names of some characters.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 10:38:56 AM
I love reading books. Just finished Brainwash, a book about the CIA and American government attempts at mind control since the 1930’s too the 1990’s
If thats the kind of thing that interests you try "WAR ON THE MIND THE MILITAIRY USES AND ABUSES OF PSYCHOLOGY" can't remember the authors name it's been a few years since I read it

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 11:57:26 AM
im reading one book of Arma Fennica-series,this book is called"Puukkosepän kirja",meaning"book of knifemaker"...or knife-blacksmith.

its about making knives in old fashion way,nothing hitech involved,by these methods almost anyone can make their own  sharp objects.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 03:56:47 PM
If thats the kind of thing that interests you try "WAR ON THE MIND THE MILITAIRY USES AND ABUSES OF PSYCHOLOGY" can't remember the authors name it's been a few years since I read it

Think I saw it in the book store not long ago, I will check it out on pay day. Just started re-reading The finishing school where you follow the men who wants too be Navy SEAL through BUD/S and SQT (SEAL Qualification Training).
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline kent ct

Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 01:06:12 AM
The autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini  is regarded as one of the finest of its era (1500) ever written.

If you are curious of how people lived then, and in particular how an artist who was also expert with dagger and sword lived, then this is the book for you. It reads like an adventure novel. A sword was EDC to Cellini and he used it many times.

Put Benvenuto Cellini in Google and you will find a place to download it free.

Richard

Offline kent ct

Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 01:22:17 AM
Link for Cellini book.  http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4028

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 03:22:05 PM
I just downloaded that one- I'll check it out when I'm done with the current list! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 07:28:37 AM
I've been working through The Spyderco Story for the past few days and cherishing every second of it. I am amazed that such a work even exists. It's one of the most in-depth looks at a subject I've ever seen outside of straight technical manuals; it's got patent apps, explanation from lots of different company personnel and excellent pictures. Actually reminds me a lot of the Multi-Tool Encyclopedia in the presentation.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 08:46:05 AM
2012 by Whitley Strieber

Pretty good book :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 04:50:33 PM
Getting back into a Civil War kick,and re-reading Ezra Warner's  Generals In Blue,and and going to follow up with the companion Generals In Gray.
I

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 04:11:10 AM
If you are into adventure travel, ANY books by this woman
http://www.kirasalak.com/index.html
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 02:31:20 PM
When I had to go to the hospital, RT gave me a book to distract me. At the first day (the day before surgery) I had already devoured the book completely!
I don't think there is an English translation out there, but if you see this at a bookstore, buy it!

It's called "Teddy - or how I learned to understand humans"
The author is a former police officer and k9 handler and wrote this book from the perspective of his furry partner. It's a recollection of things they experienced together and the thoughts both have about the society around them.
Teddy is a police dog, that got certified as too unaggressive and therefore gets called "prince Valium" by the fellow human police officers. :D
I love this book!

-----------------------------
Using a future communicator stolen from the NCC-1701

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: January 27, 2023, 12:14:16 AM
I decided to give this a bump from necromancy  :rofl:. I spend s lot of time behind the wheel and listen to podcasts and audiobooks, but decided to try to hit 100 paper books this year.  So far I'm on 3.  This is a fun read.  I thought the Opinel would fit in for the period of the story.

* IMG_20230126_181021717-01.jpg (Filesize: 159.73 KB)
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD