Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Portable stove options?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Portable stove options?
on: June 12, 2016, 12:39:55 PM
    Am considering on going camping over night. Have a project in mind and will be taking photos. Thought I'd take my Astroscan with me too. But a guy's gotta eat.

Unsure what the fire conditions will be like, and the only portable stove I've got is a BBQ grill box that uses either wood or charcoal briquettes. Couple of friends recommended I take either a propane or a self-contained fuel thing?? Money is a factor and would have to obtain something locally.
    Any suggestions? Don't plan on cooking more than one or two things, and boiling water for a dehydrated product that wants some photos, beside I like the stuff. Still have to scrounge for a cooking set, small and portable.

Then it's more of a job timing issue. I gotta get out in the forest for a night at least.  :ahhh
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Portable stove options?
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:08:59 PM
A few months back I picked up one of these as a "just in case" stove or to take on camping trips. Have not used it yet, but I love how it comes with two different pots, a bag, and the burner. All you need is the gas and your good to go. I heard the small canister will fit inside the pots with the burner. It will take up a lot of room in a backpack if carried that way.

I know you said you want something locally, but its a option.

https://www.amazon.com/Petforu-Camping-Propane-Canister-Cooking/dp/B015SRB58U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465729508&sr=8-2&keywords=Camp+Stove%2CPetforu+Outdoor+Camping+Stove+Cookware+Hiking+Backpacking+Picnic+Cookware+Cooking+Tool+Set+Pot+Pan+%2B+Piezo+Ignition+Canister+Stove+Propane+Canister

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:10:05 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 03:37:45 PM
If cost is a factor then you really can't beat the mini Trangia.  They are available almost everywhere, run on alcohol and will probably cost less than the freeze dried meals you plan to bring. 

Megan swears by hers and she used to actually cook stuff, not just boil water.  On an overnight hiking trip into the backwoods last year, she and her friend cooked bacon and eggs for breakfast, made coffee and boiled water for an apple crumble.

It's also easy to use and safe.  You can smother it quickly, it cools down fast and packs away to almost nothing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 05:52:45 PM
Around here when fire restrictions are in effect wood and charcoal is not allowed...even when burned in a BBQ or a wood stove. If you can't turn it off by turning a valve, it's not allowed. Sterno/jellied alcohol is allowed, while liquid alcohol and Esbit is restricted.

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/06/california-stoves-campfire-permits-and.html

If the trip is a one-shot deal, I might give the Sterno a try in that Esbit BBQ. I'd rig a platform to get the cans the proper distance and a windscreen. Boiling quantities of water would be too slow to be practical, but heating canned goods and frying would be possible.

I've got these - Appagare - but have not used the larger with Sterno yet. I have used the folding Sterno stove quite a bit though.

Honestly for the convenience and cooking power, you're better off with a small cartridge stove.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 07:27:12 PM
    All kinds of interesting options. Thanks fellas!  :tu:

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 09:23:23 PM
I have a Trangia with an improvised base and pot stand and wind shield as part of a small survival kit. It is very simple and most probably bomb proof, but will be tricky to operate under less than ideal conditions unless you know it well, like in wind/rain/inside a tent etc. or to simmer a meal. It is cheap, and will probably be all you need for a night out.

I actually prefer a small, light and modern butane stove, like this Kovea titanium. Its less sensitive to wind, easy to simmer, and more powerful. Much less hassle to cook with than the Trangia...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%