Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Squirt in USAF Survival Evasion Resistance Escape Pilot Kits

SteveC · 23 · 1475

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I guess Leatherman does have some military contracts

Squirt at around 9 minute mark

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Leatherman tools are often bought by individual units. As far as the Air Force goes Waves are issued at SERE and their Pararescue schools, along with Victorinox Pioneers.   

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Small multitools have a long history in pilots survival/escape kits, going back to WW2.

One of the most famous people who used one to escape a jail cell was General Charles (Chuck) Yeager. In his autobiography "Yeager", Chuck tells of when he was shot down over Nazi occupied France in WW2, he got help from the French Resistance in getting to the Spanish border. Once in Spain, Yeager got caught by Spanish authorities before he got to the Portuguese border and was jailed and waiting transfer to a Spanish prison to be interned for the duration of the way.

Only thing was, they didn't do a good job of searching him and he had a "Escape knife" that was basely a small multitool with knife blade, saw blade, and a few file blades. He cut through the bronze bars of his cel and escaped and was on the run again. Apparently this particular Spanish jail had bronze bars so they didn't have to worry about rusting issues. Yeager had no trouble cutting through one bar that night and squeezing out, being a skinny young guy.  He made it to the Portuguese border and freedom, and even made his way back to this squadron in England.

The squirt is a nice small, concealable little tool that could be very handy for a downed pilot in the wrong place.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
he had a "Escape knife" that was basely a small multitool with knife blade, saw blade, and a few file blades.

:salute:
Any pictures anywhere?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Small multitools have a long history in pilots survival/escape kits, going back to WW2.

One of the most famous people who used one to escape a jail cell was General Charles (Chuck) Yeager. In his autobiography "Yeager", Chuck tells of when he was shot down over Nazi occupied France in WW2, he got help from the French Resistance in getting to the Spanish border. Once in Spain, Yeager got caught by Spanish authorities before he got to the Portuguese border and was jailed and waiting transfer to a Spanish prison to be interned for the duration of the way.

Only thing was, they didn't do a good job of searching him and he had a "Escape knife" that was basely a small multitool with knife blade, saw blade, and a few file blades. He cut through the bronze bars of his cel and escaped and was on the run again. Apparently this particular Spanish jail had bronze bars so they didn't have to worry about rusting issues. Yeager had no trouble cutting through one bar that night and squeezing out, being a skinny young guy.  He made it to the Portuguese border and freedom, and even made his way back to this squadron in England.

The squirt is a nice small, concealable little tool that could be very handy for a downed pilot in the wrong place.

OMG if you have more stories like these please tell us! I love learning about tool history  :like: :like: :like: :like:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Was it something like this?
(Image removed from quote.)

Yup!

I've seen those and a few variations, but that is a typical "escape knife" as it was called in WW2. Also issued to the O.S.S. and the British S.O.E.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
That doesn't look all that small to me :ahhh

Maybe he hid it in his underwear and the Spanish soldier just figured he must've been happy to see him :rofl:

mx Offline CAMPBELL03

excellent Video, thanks for share.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero....

nl Offline EMZ

Last week I acquired this survival kit in an unopened condition, plus an opened one with all the contents. There really is a Leatherman Squirt PS4 in it! See picture.

* P6279872a.jpg (Filesize: 77.76 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
 Cool !   :like: :tu:

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
 :iagree: that is awesome!  :like:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
With the Squirt being discontinued, wonder what will replace it in the kit?

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
With the Squirt being discontinued, wonder what will replace it in the kit?

Has there been any official word on the Squirt being discontinued, or is it just unofficial speculation like when everyone was saying the Crunch was discontinued?

us Offline charlie fox

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/f-35-arctic-survival-kit-gear/

Dunno how accurate that is, but the following are also referenced:

Man, I hope they just used stock pictures because that kit is complete trash!
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Man, I hope they just used stock pictures because that kit is complete trash!

I’ve seen those before, and yes they are.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Has there been any official word on the Squirt being discontinued, or is it just unofficial speculation like when everyone was saying the Crunch was discontinued?

I could have sworn there was a thread about this and someone screen shot the question with Leatherman. But not sure anymore.

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
I could have sworn there was a thread about this and someone screen shot the question with Leatherman. But not sure anymore.
I was thinking the same thing. Found it

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
I was thinking the same thing. Found it

Your kung fu is better than mine.
Yeah, I never liked the PS4 but loved the P4. But it was more because I didn’t really needed scissors at the time. Though now that I carry a SAK I’m all about the scissors  :facepalm:

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Your kung fu is better than mine.
Yeah, I never liked the PS4 but loved the P4. But it was more because I didn’t really needed scissors at the time. Though now that I carry a SAK I’m all about the scissors  :facepalm:
:rofl: :tu:

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
I guess Leatherman does have some military contracts

Maybe they did, maybe not.   It depends on whether those kits were standard throughout the USAF or if individual units put them together and contents varied.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%