Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Preppers, what do you prep for?

Kampfer · 164 · 7654

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Preppers, what do you prep for?
Reply #120 on: July 05, 2016, 03:21:44 PM
With regards to Marlon Brando:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4NkkAQllfo

What do I prep for?

What have you got?

:pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #121 on: July 15, 2016, 11:58:34 PM
We are going to Istanbul in three weeks. 18 terrorist attacks during the last 5 years (300 dead, 800 wounded, mostly inoccent civilians), 4 in 2016, all in places we will visit. Statistically an incident there is more probable than any other we talked about in this thread (with the exception of Zombie Apocalypse perhaps).
Who could suggest the way we should prepare?  I would really like to prepare, but for what and how?
Maybe an insurance and last will would be better here than axes and food supplies.

Are you ok?
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #122 on: July 16, 2016, 12:17:06 AM
We are going to Istanbul in three weeks. 18 terrorist attacks during the last 5 years (300 dead, 800 wounded, mostly inoccent civilians), 4 in 2016, all in places we will visit. Statistically an incident there is more probable than any other we talked about in this thread (with the exception of Zombie Apocalypse perhaps).
Who could suggest the way we should prepare?  I would really like to prepare, but for what and how?
Maybe an insurance and last will would be better here than axes and food supplies.

Are you ok?

Three weeks would mean he hasn't left yet hopefully.

Fingers crossed.
I

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #123 on: July 16, 2016, 12:43:51 AM
I hope it is not too late to cancel the trip.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #124 on: July 16, 2016, 01:09:07 AM
Oh man!!!  :(
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #125 on: July 16, 2016, 01:27:33 AM
Exactly my point, you will never know what is going down next.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #126 on: July 16, 2016, 02:40:56 AM
I was really hoping to come into this thread and find an "We haven't gone yet" from Kkokkolis.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #127 on: July 16, 2016, 02:47:53 AM
I am not a prepared prepper but one thing I know this civil, orderly society is walking on a thin line. Social chaos is one stumble away.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #128 on: July 16, 2016, 07:56:53 AM
We would be going next Friday. I was sleeping after an exhausting tour in our Thessaloniki Opioid Substitution Treatment Units, when me whife woke me up after midnight, telling me there was a coup in Turkey and there is no way she is going there after that. She offered Santorini as an alternative. I said OK and stupored again. Now I see that the coup failed but it will be impossible to change her mind. Personally I feel at home in Turkey (my grandparents were born there, as Greek Othoman citizens) but my wife doesn't share that feeling.
Thank you for your interest. We have some Turkish members, I hope they are OK too. Now, the bottom line is that some preppers should be prepared for military coups and revolutions too!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #129 on: July 16, 2016, 09:44:16 AM
I am glad you guys are safe.

When you are prepared got one thing, you are prepared for others as well, more or less.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #130 on: July 16, 2016, 04:49:47 PM
Sorry you had to cancel your trip but I'm glad your lovely wife spoke up. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Pacu

Reply #131 on: July 17, 2016, 02:15:02 AM
Someone will ask me one day, me being supreme warlord commander, what did you do before the great war?
I sold tvs at best buy.

I prep for domestic social disorder. Anything worse I probably don't want to survive. Best to get a lawn chair and a six pack watch it all go down.  ::)
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #132 on: July 17, 2016, 02:33:52 AM
Someone will ask me one day, me being supreme warlord commander, what did you do before the great war?
I sold tvs at best buy.

I prep for domestic social disorder. Anything worse I probably don't want to survive. Best to get a lawn chair and a six pack watch it all go down.  ::)

Sadly, that is probably the only real plan available to most of us.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: July 17, 2016, 05:27:42 AM
Quote from: Pippin
the closer you are to danger, the farther you are from harm

I don't know if I'll die from food poisoning and dehydration, be blown up in a explosion, or be split in twain riding an R1 at 300km/h into a supporting leg of a highway overpass.

I'd probably prefer to avoid the first one if possible.

As long as my tombstone reads "he was the best there was at what he did, but what he did wasn't very nice (auditing)"

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #134 on: July 20, 2016, 07:52:00 PM
I prep my lunch every morning for the day. Does this count?  :think:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #135 on: July 20, 2016, 08:05:02 PM

:cheers:  ...only I'd bring a 12-pack and some music    :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #136 on: July 20, 2016, 08:51:45 PM
A weapon isn't a substitute for brains though.

So many NRA jokes, gun nut jokes and redneck jokes and so little time.  :rofl:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #137 on: July 20, 2016, 10:11:10 PM
I don't know what NRA is, I never met a redneck in my life (I've been in about 10 States and the only farmer I met was a nice guy from Texas, dressed as a cowboy in black and the most gentle you can imagine) and I know no gun nut. In fact I'm the only person I know personally (forums acquaintances excluded) who has a library about guns, a big collection of toy soldiers and many knives. The only reason I don't own a gun is that I'm sure I would probably use it.

But:

1. The quote I said I learned in the army, the Special Forces Training Center. I heard it from a Marine. Marines think that they are more clever than Commandos. Commandos think that they are more clever than Paratroopers. Paratroopers think that they are more clever than Marines. All three (and I talk about the Greek Special Forces soldiers I met) think that they are more clever than regular hoplites. They used (then) the FN FAL battle rifle and the rest of the army the G3. I asked which was better and that's the answer I got. It's how you use your weapon that matters. I thought that they knew what they were talking about, they are speSmurfpillsts.
Army doctors think that they are more clever than all the rest army elements if you want to know but you were afraid to ask.
2. Our Admin here has a nice motto: Primum instrumentum est inter avres. That's what I said, just that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:12:26 PM by kkokkolis »

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #138 on: July 21, 2016, 04:27:29 PM

Watch the movie The Survivalist

I had a really bad flu last week, they seem to be getting worse each year.  If I was out on my own somewhere busy "surviving", even if equipped it could've been my end.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #139 on: April 23, 2020, 04:20:47 PM
Necro.  Was just reading thru this.  Interesting how we discussed pandemic then wondering if such an event would/could happed to totally disrupt the world.   Here we are. 

I'm not sure what lessons are to be learned?  Fear by media as always.  Over and under reactions by those in charge. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #140 on: April 23, 2020, 05:05:11 PM
Indeed, strange to see it in today's light...

Like I mentioned before,

This nCoV situation has caused my wife to have her eyes opened that life can take a turn for the worst rather fast. She always refused me to stock up some more food.

We're not preparing for anything specific, but since it all started, we stocked up some more food than before.

Enough to last us about 4 weeks (but with weird food combo's) anything over 4 weeks without being able to resupply sounds like a horror scenario anyway.

We've got water from our own clear well as long as we have power, and I have figured out a manual way of pumping.

We still haven't got anything in case the power goes out apart from flashlights and gas cookers. So that might need some attention.

I've got an interesting story about a power outage too which I'll post here later this evening.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #141 on: April 23, 2020, 05:25:54 PM
So 6 years ago,

I still lived with my parents and I had a doctor's appointment that day.

I got up and opened the tap...
Nothing but some black crud... Yuck!

Tried another tap .. same thing.

Called my dad, who was already in the kitchen. He came to check it out, grabbed a phone and called the water supply company.
He explained the issue and asked for someone to check it out ASAP.

My mom got up, hearing my dad on the phone. She opened the blinds and shouted "come look at this!"
We rushed over to the window only to see the sawmill 100m up the road ablaze. Fire dept. everywhere! That explained the lack of water...

We never heard a siren or anything at all for that matter :shrug: .

Sadly since the sawmill needs alot of power, it had it's own grid converter in a separate room of the building, so the fire dept. decided to shut it down.

They had to fight the fire and cool the site all day, leaving the houses in the street without power or water all day.

Apart from us... My dad switched off the main switch, hooked up his generator and switched all non-essentials off.

He had light in his workshop (business in the back) and heating in the workshop, house and the waterpump worked to pump up ground water.

He bought the generator 4 months earlier "just in case", yet the purchase payed itself back in a single day while allowing him to open up the business and receive clients that day.

So it only shows that "prepping" can mean alot of difference, even on a very small scale.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #142 on: April 23, 2020, 05:30:24 PM
 :salute:.  Thats a great example of prepared. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline earthman

Reply #143 on: January 17, 2021, 10:24:16 PM
I prep for global takeover from the government. Not gonna say more about that.

Wow, the above posted 4 years ago is now more appropriate and becoming ever more real day by day it would seem. :cry:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #144 on: January 19, 2021, 06:22:37 PM
Lets not get into further discussion on that topic  :salute:.     
Esse Quam Videri

Offline earthman

Reply #145 on: January 19, 2021, 11:59:30 PM
Lets not get into further discussion on that topic  :salute:.   

Well that's a shame, considering that it is an important thing that seems to be playing out before us all.  :whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #146 on: January 20, 2021, 12:19:41 AM
We can certainly discuss preparing and such as its a topic of great interest to many here.  As to the specific quote used, we don't have a lot of rules here at MTO but getting into any political discussions is not welcome.  There are plenty of sites and more popping up and will be popping up to further those discussions.  MTO is just not the place thankfully. 

:salute:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:41:02 AM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #147 on: January 20, 2021, 01:08:29 AM
Well that's a shame, considering that it is an important thing that seems to be playing out before us all.  :whistle:

As Aloha said we have a no politics rule here and it has served us well in keeping MTO a friendly place. Many come here to get away from all of that which is plastered everywhere else in the media and the interweb.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #148 on: January 20, 2021, 11:20:31 AM
Also avoid discussing Apple vs Microsoft or Jeep vs anything :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #149 on: January 20, 2021, 03:55:18 PM
 :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00