Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs + other blades

ThePeacent · 2671 · 97364

us Offline cbmj

Re: SAKs + other blades
Reply #1560 on: April 11, 2018, 02:43:47 AM
Cadet & Peanut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1561 on: April 11, 2018, 12:30:09 PM

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1562 on: April 11, 2018, 02:54:18 PM
Böker (I can never remember its name) and my favourite orange Pioneer
Boker and Orange.jpg
* Boker and Orange.jpg (Filesize: 258.6 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1563 on: April 11, 2018, 03:05:43 PM
Böker (I can never remember its name) and my favourite orange Pioneer

Great pic Thunderpants! :like: :tu: :tu:

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #1564 on: April 11, 2018, 06:43:48 PM
DSC00417-today-25.jpg
* DSC00417-today-25.jpg (Filesize: 420.33 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #1565 on: April 12, 2018, 02:17:32 PM
nice blades gents!  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1566 on: April 12, 2018, 03:09:15 PM
Nice shots Ron and Pea!

I'm carrying a Wenger and a Ciderco today
pat spy.jpg
* pat spy.jpg (Filesize: 178.21 KB)

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #1567 on: April 13, 2018, 10:29:31 AM
A late 1970's Woodsman plus a few other blades and things I carried for a couple decades  :)

Trivia Question:
There's a slightly tapered wood rod with a large brass cap on one end and a brass ferrule on the other end at the bottom of the photograph.
For Military Trivia Bonus Points, what is it?

John

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1568 on: April 13, 2018, 11:07:43 AM
1) it's a billiards stick for tiny little army-issue billiards tables
2) it's a nose piercing from colonial days when it was thought that primitive tribes were impressed by such things
3) it's for throwing at the enemy, when surrounded and out of ammo
4) all of the above.

I think 4 is the right answer

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #1569 on: April 13, 2018, 11:25:36 AM
It looks like a slightly tapered wood rod with a large brass cap on one end and a brass ferrule on the other end.
 :D¨

Is it a riding crop?
DSC00429-dragonflies-33.jpg
* DSC00429-dragonflies-33.jpg (Filesize: 371.52 KB)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:33:40 AM by Ron Who »

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #1570 on: April 13, 2018, 11:43:31 AM
2) it's a nose piercing from colonial days when it was thought that primitive tribes were impressed by such things
4) all of the above.

It looks like a slightly tapered wood rod with a large brass cap on one end and a brass ferrule on the other end.
 :D

Nice tries but not quite.  :D

The pokey thing about 7 inches long is for use on the end of a rifle if you run out of ammo (you're in deep kimchi if you ever do; a recipe for a very bad day).

Clue for those familiar with the UK military and countries who derived their military structure from the Commonwealth:
Prior to WWII, they, or an equivalent, were carried by officers in the army and marines. Fell out of common use when WWII ended. You will see many portraits of army and marine officers holding them.

While not as prevalent, they were carried by many officers in the US Army and USMC up through the Vietnam War with usage dropping and varying some since then. I don't know what the practice is with them now. They were always an optional item. It's not uncommon to see unofficial portraits of generals holding one. Won't see them in the Navy or USAF.

It's Ancient Roman in origin.

John
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:52:40 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #1571 on: April 13, 2018, 11:44:37 AM
 :D ¨

Is it a riding crop?

You are very, very, very close! Cavalry and other mounted officers often used a riding crop in lieu of one.

Edit: Close enough I sent you a PM with link that explains what it is.

John
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:49:11 AM by jalind »
John

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1573 on: April 13, 2018, 12:44:31 PM
4) all of the above.

The pokey thing about 7 inches long is for use on the end of a rifle if you run out of ammo (you're in deep kimchi if you ever do; a recipe for a very bad day).

Clue for those familiar with the UK military and countries who derived their military structure from the Commonwealth:
Prior to WWII, they, or an equivalent, were carried by officers in the army and marines. Fell out of common use when WWII ended. You will see many portraits of army and marine officers holding them.

While not as prevalent, they were carried by many officers in the US Army and USMC up through the Vietnam War with usage dropping and varying some since then. I don't know what the practice is with them now. They were always an optional item. It's not uncommon to see unofficial portraits of generals holding one. Won't see them in the Navy or USAF.

John
Is it a "talking stick"? Only the one having it in the squad are allowed to talk, to promote a more open dialogue in the squad?

~ i love whittling and SAK's  ~

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #1574 on: April 13, 2018, 12:46:41 PM
4) all of the above.

John
Is it a "talking stick"? Only the one having it in the squad are allowed to talk, to promote a more open dialogue in the squad? (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

( :rofl: )V( :rofl: )

See your PM

John

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1575 on: April 13, 2018, 12:51:17 PM
From left: Suprabeam Q1 mini, Victorinox Solo, Case Mini Trapper (G10), Executive, LM Squirt P4.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1576 on: April 13, 2018, 12:55:36 PM
I thought Sweden gave up headhunting thousands of years ago but obviously I was wrong!

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1577 on: April 13, 2018, 12:59:10 PM
I thought Sweden gave up headhunting thousands of years ago but obviously I was wrong!
Yes, it is a unknown fact that we (head)hunt down pygmy stay glow snow-skeletons for sport!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1578 on: April 13, 2018, 01:45:29 PM

great blades folks!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1579 on: April 13, 2018, 03:36:13 PM
You are making that 110 look small...... :rofl:

Offline Mattexian

Reply #1580 on: April 13, 2018, 05:15:53 PM
My used Space Shuttle MC and Mini Buck Lite in the park the other day. I drooled over the MC in the display case growing up, but never bought one til a few years ago on fleaBay.  I found a Mini Buck while on a campout in Scouts, equally long ago.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1581 on: April 13, 2018, 05:41:57 PM
 :tu:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1582 on: April 13, 2018, 08:51:53 PM

Great pic stoneshank! :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #1583 on: April 13, 2018, 09:59:37 PM
4) all of the above.

John
Is it a "talking stick"? Only the one having it in the squad are allowed to talk, to promote a more open dialogue in the squad? (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Doubt there will be any more guesses about the "stick" and what it's for. It's called a "Swagger Stick" within the UK and US military, and I presume also in other armed forces that are derived from the UK Commonwealth. It's a symbol of power and authority, derived from Roman Centurion's "vine staff" that was a symbol of their authority. It's similar in concept but not the same as a Field Marshal's Baton, which is the symbol of a Field Marshal's rank and authority. Roman in origin, it's derived from the Roman fasces, a bundle of sticks, which was used as a symbol of considerable power and authority from the Emperor. A King's scepter is a similar symbol of authority and their "Divine Right" to rule.

The cap on the end of mine is the obverse of the U.S. Great Seal, which is used by the U.S. Army on uniform buttons, service cap insignia, and other uniform accouterments. The other services (USN, USMC, USAF and USCG) all have their own seals they use on their insignia with the exception of the USAF cap insignia, which is also the Great Seal, derived from having been the US Army Air Force prior to 1947 (their uniform buttons are the USAF seal). The U.S. Army is the only one that uses the Great Seal in that manner. There is no exact style for the end cap and they vary depending on who made it and what the purchaser wanted. Some will have the rank insignia of the owner on the side of the end cap. If you don't have that as you don't need to replace it when promoted.  ;)

I didn't carry mine everywhere, only on occasions I thought appropriate. It spent more of its time in my office on or behind my desk than it did in my hand.

There's a good article in Wikipedia about the Swagger Stick:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swagger_stick

John

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1584 on: April 16, 2018, 02:36:41 PM
My used Space Shuttle MC and Mini Buck Lite in the park the other day. I drooled over the MC in the display case growing up, but never bought one til a few years ago on fleaBay.  I found a Mini Buck while on a campout in Scouts, equally long ago.(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

mine in a park too!  :cheers:  your next post is nº200  :o :D

My toys:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1585 on: April 16, 2018, 04:13:03 PM
Awesome tools, Peacent!
mossyrock.jpg
* mossyrock.jpg (Filesize: 234.38 KB)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 04:16:40 PM by Thunderpants »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1586 on: April 17, 2018, 02:13:26 PM
Awesome tools, Peacent!

yours ain't no slouch.  :cheers:  That Spydie is a rare and cool one  8)

My toys:

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1587 on: April 17, 2018, 02:52:09 PM
Awesome tools, Peacent!

yours ain't no slouch.  :cheers:  That Spydie is a rare and cool one  8)

(Image removed from quote.)
Yeah I saw one used for sale on the knife_club subreddit. I have not seen one for sale in a good while! Think it went for 85 dollars

My pic: I'm new to apps that can do colour splash, so that is all I do for a few days

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:55:48 PM by stoneshank »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #1588 on: April 17, 2018, 03:05:03 PM
I paid $60 for mine from the States -> Europe and it's a fun little blade, but I am glad I didn't pay 140 euros or whatever it costs here. (Luckily customs didn't intercept it so I paid no import tax which was nice.)
The Dragonfly is a better design, really. Better blade shape with a little bit more cutting edge. So I like the Meerkat but wouldn't weep copiously if I didn't have one!

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1589 on: April 17, 2018, 03:10:40 PM
I paid $60 for mine from the States -> Europe and it's a fun little blade, but I am glad I didn't pay 140 euros or whatever it costs here. (Luckily customs didn't intercept it so I paid no import tax which was nice.)
The Dragonfly is a better design, really. Better blade shape with a little bit more cutting edge. So I like the Meerkat but wouldn't weep copiously if I didn't have one!
I think the handles design on the meerkat are curious. How is it in the hand? The df2 is a tested design , a bit too small still. I prefer the chaparral FRN to it. Chaparral is just stupidly amazing at slicing!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD