Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm with nail file

us Offline psyjohn

Re: 91mm with nail file
Reply #30 on: November 11, 2023, 01:00:01 AM
I read over my post and I realized I accidentally referred to the knife in my 5th pocket as an Executive. The one I carry every day is actually a late 60s - early 70s Companion. I guess that means my perfect pairing is a Companion and a Companion.

Victorinox naming  :dunno:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #31 on: November 11, 2023, 03:19:17 AM
Hi guys

I'm a little late to the party here, but I thought I'd share my experience with the Companion. I bought the Swiss Spirit SE this year intending to use it, but the scales, with all the intricate engraving, seemed too fragile to carry. Then I saw a couple people on YouTube and Reddit that removed and replaced the scales. Thanks to them I knew the scales were press fit so I slowly and carefully pried them off. Popped on some sapphire blue ones and it's been in my pocket every day since.

I'll get to the package tool in a minute but what really attracted me to the Companion is the nail file. I always carry a smaller SAK primarily for the nail file and I figured this could be the perfect "one and done." After carrying it for a week now, I have to say it really is the perfect SAK for me. I'll confess, I haven't been able to let go of my beloved Executive that rides in my 5th pocket but I rarely take it out anymore. The Companion has been the only tool I need for a week straight. That might not seem like much until you know that I typically rotate through at least a dozen different SAKs on a daily basis.

Now to the package opener; it's fantastic. It will open anything I throw at it easily. It cuts through cardboard like butter, and works great for opening an envelope. Plastic, tape, string, no problem. It makes a great scraper and turns a phillips head screw. Victorinox engineered this tool very well.  If it seems like a tool set you might like, and you're willing to splurge, I highly recommend the Companion. It's hard to beat for every day urban carry.

I would really like to buy a Companion but I've been holding out for a "standard" version in the traditional red cellidor. Though, it's starting to feel like that's never going to happen...

us Offline psyjohn

Reply #32 on: November 11, 2023, 07:35:59 PM
I would really like to buy a Companion but I've been holding out for a "standard" version in the traditional red cellidor. Though, it's starting to feel like that's never going to happen...

I have the same feeling. That's what helped me to decide to go ahead and make the scale swap.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: November 17, 2023, 04:24:58 PM
Now to the package opener; it's fantastic. It will open anything I throw at it easily. It cuts through cardboard like butter, and works great for opening an envelope. Plastic, tape, string, no problem. It makes a great scraper and turns a phillips head screw. Victorinox engineered this tool very well.  If it seems like a tool set you might like, and you're willing to splurge, I highly recommend the Companion. It's hard to beat for every day urban carry.
I'm curious how difficult it is to sharpen...
Also, nice blue scales.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline psyjohn

Reply #34 on: November 21, 2023, 04:32:02 AM
Thank you! Those scales came on a junk knife in a lot I bought and had advertising on the back. After sanding and polishing them I was waiting for a special knife to put them on. The Companion is definitely the one. I love this thing.

I've been using the heck out of the package tool every day and it shows no sign of dulling. I suppose eventually I can use a small jewelry file to sharpen the serrations. I've done that with serrated blades before; only takes a few minutes.

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #35 on: November 21, 2023, 10:46:16 PM
I wish my Yeoman had the nail file like my Compact has. These are my favorite 91mm 3 layer and 2 layer knives. I like the new Companion but not enough to buy one or at least until they make a regular production model and then I would put black plus scales on it. It would cost over a $100 to put together a black plus scale Companion and it's a $50 knife at best. It's a glorified Climber and they are only $30

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%