Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Multitool for IT technician

marcss · 27 · 4097

Offline marcss

• New User
Best Multitool for IT technician
on: May 23, 2021, 09:42:44 AM
Which multitool do you recommend for an IT Technician?

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Best Multitool for IT technician
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 09:46:03 AM

us Offline Adam5

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 10:36:19 AM
I think that the Cybertool M would be a good choice.

Another option would be a LM Surge with bit kit and extender.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 03:01:48 PM
I have switched to the Gerber Centerdrive for the last several years but I also carry a pair of Diagonal Cutters,Ideal Flex Strippers,Ideal Feed Thru EZ Crimpers and a real punch down tool most of the time too as needed.

The standard 1/4" Driver and decent Needle nose pliers are the thing I need the most really and can not get from any other tools that I have tried.

I also always have a Knife and Flashlight and Pen and Paper always on board of course too.

And a few Bandaids! :whistle:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 03:11:19 PM
Gerber Cable Dawg if you can get over the price.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 03:15:28 PM
Our guy just asks if we've turned it off and back on again?  :whistle:

I'll see myself out now   ;).   
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline nitram

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 05:13:23 PM
Our guy just asks if we've turned it off and back on again?  :whistle:

I'll see myself out now   ;).

To be fair, that does solve a lot of issues  :rofl:

The answer somewhat depends on the type of work they do. If they’re new to multitools but do like gadgets a Cybertool is always a good idea  :tu:

us Online nate j

• No Life Club

nl Offline GotBluntnose

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 06:24:19 PM
I'd look into the SOG PowerPint.

You're gonna need the pliers and serrated blade, a corkscrew is nice, but an eyeglass screwdriver gets into very small spaces like laptop screws and m2 heatsinks.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 06:37:48 PM by GotBluntnose »
Full metal blunt force trauma

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 07:52:10 PM
I have a few Cybertool' but have never really wanted to use one inside a machine if possible either.

Wiring is more where the MT comes in handy for me when least expecting to do work and real tools are always in the truck too.

I also have one of those SOG/Panduit tools and as sexy as it is there is not much on it that I will prefer to just carrying a strippr and cutter and driver and real punchdown tool.

I have not used any non-impact punchdown tools that did the job well enough to rely on and the strippers are useless too.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 08:09:03 PM
This one looks perfect for what you’re describing. But does Anyone own or have experience with the Cyber Tool L? I do not.
This one seems to have replaced the Cyber Tool 41 (I could be wrong tho)  :dunno: i’m not sure when it came out.
It looks like a great toolset for the price but I wonder how it compares to the other cybertool models?
Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this model  :salute:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 08:53:34 PM
I did a mini-review here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82560.msg2010594.html#msg2010594

The Cypertool L is the Cybertool CT-41, just its more recent name, as there's always a little controversy about the actual count of tools on the larger SAKs...
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 08:54:54 PM
I did a mini-review here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82560.msg2010594.html#msg2010594

The Cypertool L is the Cybertool CT-41, just its more recent name, as there's always a little controversy about the actual count of tools on the larger SAKs...
Cheers Max Thank You!
 :cheers:

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 09:25:29 AM
I have a CT-41 (CT-L) and a Swiss Champ. They are the same size.  I can carry either one comfortably as long as I have a pouch or a pocket dangler so it's not sitting like a brick in the bottom of my pocket.  The only thing I miss from the Swiss Champ when I'm carrying the CT-41 is the magnifying lens.  I highly recommend the CT-M or CT-L.  Any multitool can do a lot of jobs for you and can be combined with other multitools or dedicated tools for specific jobs where they might be needed. I like to carry my CT-41 with a Leatherman Crunch because they're very light and the locking pliers act as a third hand if you need them. :cheers:

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 03:16:45 AM
I carry a Swisschamp XLT and a Free P4/Charge TTI/Swisstool Spirit X everyday. I will also occasionally carry a Centerdrive if I think the situation calls for it. In my general-purpose tool bag, I have a 2nd-gen Surge, a Crunch, an E4, and a Vic Workchamp. In my wiring bag, I have a 1st-gen Surge. I have all of the Paladin/SOG line as well, but they are mostly retired and only come out for special occasions now.

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 11:29:34 AM
Looking specifically for a multitool I'd suggest the Leatherman Wave personally, I carried it for a few years working 1st-3rd line.

My personal carry was in the leather pouch with side tubes:

-Wave

-Bit extender/adapter

-Bit card with most commonly used bits

-AAA flashlight

I carried a Cadet for more scared folks and had an iFixit tool kit for more involved work. A multitool will never replace your toolkit if you work on hardware or do infrastructure installations, but a good one will get you through most days without digging your kit out.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

my Offline bts

Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 03:35:33 PM
Cybertool L would be best.
Live for Something or Die for Nothing.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 03:49:47 PM
+1 for Cybertool M/Cybertool 34 for the day-to-day.

I also like to have a Swiss Spirit with L-wrench bit kit in my pack.
- Terry

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 02:10:54 AM
Surge is overkill for IT work if you ask me. Neither Leatherman Rebar nor Wave have hex or star wrenches. Vic Cybertool seems like it would be good. I dont know, I dont own one. Wave with bit extender may be good. I dont know, I dont own one.

Today I disassembled a 15 year old 3Com 10/100 switch with my Leatherman Rebar to extract the 2 Papst 40x20mm fans inside. The bearings were finally going and they were making grinding and whining sounds. Anyway, the star screws on the bottom? I just grasped them with the needle nose of my Rebar. That's not always possible but it was in this case.

Left the case half open and pointed a floor fan at it. The whole thing is going to have to be replaced anyway

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 02:32:15 AM
Surge is overkill for IT work if you ask me. Neither Leatherman Rebar nor Wave have hex or star wrenches. Vic Cybertool seems like it would be good. I dont know, I dont own one. Wave with bit extender may be good. I dont know, I dont own one.

Today I disassembled a 15 year old 3Com 10/100 switch with my Leatherman Rebar to extract the 2 Papst 40x20mm fans inside. The bearings were finally going and they were making grinding and whining sounds. Anyway, the star screws on the bottom? I just grasped them with the needle nose of my Rebar. That's not always possible but it was in this case.

Left the case half open and pointed a floor fan at it. The whole thing is going to have to be replaced anyway

Torx bits (which is what I think you mean by star?) are included in the bit kit, I've used them on my Wave on occasion when I worked in IT.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 03:54:04 AM
This one looks perfect for what you’re describing. But does Anyone own or have experience with the Cyber Tool L? I do not.
This one seems to have replaced the Cyber Tool 41 (I could be wrong tho)  :dunno: i’m not sure when it came out.
It looks like a great toolset for the price but I wonder how it compares to the other cybertool models?
Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this model  :salute:

Would be nice if they removed the large blade, the saw and the file, and the corkscrew and other backside tools. I've never once needed a straight woodsaw in 11 years of IT work. I have needed a paddle bit or hole saw to make holes in old furniture or cabinets for cables to pass through, but that's beyond the scope of a little hand tool.

Removing some of that superfluous stuff could slim the tool down a little...A long Philips, a couple of precision screwdrivers, some choice hex/ star bits, plyers, scissors, wirecutters, small blade for opening boxes of Dell computers, and a punchdown tool is about all you need. Wish Vic or Leatherman would make a tool with just that stuff on it. Id buy like 5 of them. And...This is one of the few times I might agree that the hook, since it already exists anyway, may as well be a part of this tool. It might help in teasing out telecommunication wires. Or, anyone who has ever tried to swap out ethernet cables from a full switch stack and punch down block can tell you, a thin hand or maybe a hook could be of service.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 03:57:32 AM
Torx bits (which is what I think you mean by star?) are included in the bit kit, I've used them on my Wave on occasion when I worked in IT.

Yes. Torx bits. Seems like the bit kit can come in handy. Wave and Surge can make use of thier tiny screwdrivers, but I still think the Surge is too much weight. I wont carry mine in my pocket, and its even a little heavy on the belt for someone who doesnt do a lot of hardware work.

Does the bit extender fit the Rebar?

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 04:06:48 AM
The more I think about it, the more i can say that the Wave scissors are puny compared to the Surge Scissors. And you could use scissors for wire wraps or zip ties. Surge scissors would take the cake there.
 If learherman could make a somewhat thin, longer screwdriver (one that's actually strong, unlike those in the Surge and Wave), to get into recessed Philips head screws.

All those knives and saw and file, though...unnecessary for IT

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 05:06:13 AM
Yes. Torx bits. Seems like the bit kit can come in handy. Wave and Surge can make use of thier tiny screwdrivers, but I still think the Surge is too much weight. I wont carry mine in my pocket, and its even a little heavy on the belt for someone who doesnt do a lot of hardware work.

Does the bit extender fit the Rebar?

They make one that sits on the phillips and can take full sized and flat bits!

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 05:07:22 AM
The more I think about it, the more i can say that the Wave scissors are puny compared to the Surge Scissors. And you could use scissors for wire wraps or zip ties. Surge scissors would take the cake there.
 If learherman could make a somewhat thin, longer screwdriver (one that's actually strong, unlike those in the Surge and Wave), to get into recessed Philips head screws.

All those knives and saw and file, though...unnecessary for IT

For the most part yes!

...I may have cut through muliple steel cable locks when people left or lost their laptop lock keys with my Wave....

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 02:51:33 PM
They make one that sits on the phillips and can take full sized and flat bits!

Might be something for me to look into, since I dont have a Wave, but I do have a Rebar and an OG Surge

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 24, 2021, 02:52:47 PM
For the most part yes!

...I may have cut through muliple steel cable locks when people left or lost their laptop lock keys with my Wave....

I may have done that as well but with the Rebar. Or the Metal Saw from my old Vic Mountaineer

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%