Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tools rubbing marks

us Offline DwrightKM

Tools rubbing marks
on: August 06, 2016, 03:21:23 AM
Does it bother you guys?

I only have a few saks in my collection so far.  However, all of them have some sort of rubbing mark(s).  Some worse than others. 

Just wondering if it bothers you guys?  I'm not talking about the collector saks.  Just edc saks.  I tell myself it doesn't bother me, but deep down it does erk me a little bit. 

So just wondering what your guy's take is on tools rubbing and leaving marks.

Thanks.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Tools rubbing marks
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 03:37:14 AM
Nah, it just gives them some character. :) They get scuffed up plenty after some hard use. It's a thing of beauty, but it's a tool. Use it as such. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 04:24:10 AM
My only concern is when it gets close to the edge like that, is if you're hitting the edge and ruining it. I have a Buck 501 with a permanent dull spot because the kick is just slightly too small and the edge hits the lock bar spring. It annoys me. Slightly different problem though. I don't have any SAKs that have such an edge issue, at least not that I've noticed, and plenty with some amount of rubbing.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 05:30:18 AM
I could see how it could irk you. When you buy a tool new you want to get what you paid for. And from my limited experience Victorinox has good quality control. I only have a few Swiss Army knives too, without issue.

I do however have a leatherman where the plier pivot has a rubbing/scoring type mark. It bugged me because of the price paid. But ultimately, like JerseyDevil mentioned, it's a tool that's going to used and it would have happened eventually...

But superficial marks are different than and issue affecting the life or effectiveness of a tool.

My saks also don't get used as hard or to the same degree as my lm multi.
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 06:22:33 AM
When any knife edge comes into contact with liners it irritates me.  I don't want to close my knife and worry if I pushed it enough to clear the liner.  I have LMs pliers that have marks and those don't bother me at all.  I also don't get worked up with files that don't clear the liners.  Knife edges are the exception IMO. Chipping a edge can be a PITA to remove plus the needless amount of steel needed to be removed to fix it. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline DwrightKM

Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 07:04:47 AM
Appreciate the comments so far.  I agree with everything mentioned. 

In this specific knife of mine.  I don't notice any edge damage yet.  Doesn't mean it's not on my mind every time I open and close it. 

On my Camper, I have some rub on the tips of the flat head screwdrivers.  That does not bother me compared to this main knife edge rub.

I might just park this knife for now.  Maybe send it in and ask Victorinox if they can center the blade.

As far as general use marks, including scales.  That also doesn't bother me.  All my knives get used.  So it's expected. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 07:30:46 AM
Appreciate the comments so far.  I agree with everything mentioned. 

In this specific knife of mine.  I don't notice any edge damage yet.  Doesn't mean it's not on my mind every time I open and close it. 

On my Camper, I have some rub on the tips of the flat head screwdrivers.  That does not bother me compared to this main knife edge rub.

I might just park this knife for now.  Maybe send it in and ask Victorinox if they can center the blade.

As far as general use marks, including scales.  That also doesn't bother me.  All my knives get used.  So it's expected.

This is the part I don't like.  All other tools are not a biggie but blades  :ahhh is not cool.  Send her in and have Victorinox square it away.   
Esse Quam Videri

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 07:33:46 PM
One thing that bugs me (that I know is quite unreasonable) is the scratches on the side of the blade from the nail file (my EDC Wenger Wood Edition Commander).

us Offline DwrightKM

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 11:07:14 PM
Thanks guys,

Well, decided to go a head and box up the knife and get it ready to be shipped on Monday.  Also sent in my Farmer for some issues.  Never dealt with Vic's warrant before, but read a lot of good feedback on them.  Will wait and see.

nl Offline spydutch

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 11:15:10 AM
Sorry for putting up an old thread, but I was just about to start this topic myself untill I found this one.
Of all my 20 or so SAKs only my Swiss Champ doesn't rub. Funny thing because that much tools being cramped together.

All my other including the Alox one rub one way or another. With only my Spartan I succeeded in getting rid of the rubbing by carefully bending the blade/small blade myself.
Screwed up a few in the proces though.  :rant:

The worst are my SAKs with the combo tool (Bantams) and that is wat keeping me from (unjustified) spending yet a 35 euro's on a Compact in which I'm rather interested to find out what all the fuss is about..

So, should I be not so anal about it and just use them like they come or keep it at my Spartan or Alox Solo?

Thanks for reading and your patience  :salute:

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 02:13:48 PM
I have found that on 84mm SAKs like the Excelsior (and Wenger Patriot) the main blade tends to hit the small blade when closing or, conversely, the small blade's tang hits the main blade on the side.

I agree that the combo tool also gets hit by the main blade, on my wife's Compact and a Waiter I have it can happen easily.

I have also found the pen blade's spacer can move on 3-layer SAKs, not always. I have a Camper and a Climber where it does but I've given others as presents that it didn't (sure enough I checked).

On 93mm I've only ever seen the awl lighty scratching the blade.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:15:42 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline DwrightKM

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 04:06:49 PM
Basically, I just deal with it.  They are going to rub, nothing I can do about it.  However, in my original pics and what was mentioned earlier.  If the rubbing has a chance of causing damage to a tool, then I'll send it in.

That original pics I posted is currently at the repair center getting repaired still.  Not a bad deal, with shipping and the 5 bucks.  Only cost me seven bucks and some change!  They also replaced a farmer with a broken can opener tip by replacing it with a new one!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:30:29 PM by DwrightKM »

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 07:15:34 PM
I just put some very fine emery cloth on a flat surface and "flatten" the blade with it. Finish it off with fine steel wool, and a little Mother's on a cotton T shirt.
After that the blade is often at a higher state of polish than all the other tools on the SAK, so then I feel like I have to do the same process on everything else  ;)
If the SAK is a user, it'll get small marks on it anyway, even if the blade never rubs a liner or another tool, so not to worry too much.
I renovate a lot of SAK's that have moderate to heavy wear on them and give a lot on as gifts, and I can tell you that even a pretty badly scarred plain stainless blade can be brought back to very presentable shape.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%