Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rusty Swisstool

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Rusty Swisstool
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 09:05:10 PM
I've had my "most used" Swisstool develop a bit of rust also (through my own fault  ::)), after I cleaned him in a bit of soapy water I put him in a plastic box with clean water (no soap) and forgot I put it in there, when I found out that I've left him in the water two days later the "lock-release buttons" where rust coloured.  A bit of metal polish and all the rust was gone, but it was still a bit of a surprise when I saw the brown/red buttons at first ...

So in my experience the first place where they develop rust is on the "lock-release buttons", and the ones on the Spirit take longer to develop rust on them, probably because the ones on the Swisstool are more "ribbed" (is this the correct word ...  :think:) than the ones on the Spirit.

But yes, they do rust, but still not as easy as the Leatherman tools ...  ;).

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 09:25:23 PM
That one has more to worry about than just rust! :ahhh
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 10:17:27 PM
The seller:
"It is very tight and appears to be in great shape."
  :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 10:18:57 PM
I bought a neglected Swisstool at the flea market a while back and it also had rust.  The plier head and pivots seem to be the areas that are more prone IMO. 

Nothing a little subbing didn't take care of. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:31:00 AM
The seller is obviously hoping some idiot will pay his $40 price . I wouldn't even give the guy $4 since nearly everything's broke on it.

I've had two SAKs rusted--one, a mid '70s Craftsman came that way from California (likely owned by someone who fished around salt water a lot), the other, my GAK rusted under the saw tooth cover when I failed to notice some sauce from the Spaghetti-Os I'd opened with the combi-tool had gotten underneath the cover.   In general, Vic steel is rust proof.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 12:44:28 AM
Actually I was about to open a thread about SAKs getting rusty. Even the blade can rust, apparently :( And I'm not talking salt water or excessive humidity here. How is this possible? It says "rostfrei" on the blade and yet it rusts just like a regular, cheapo knife :(

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 01:07:34 AM
All steel rusts, it's just a question of how easily.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 01:59:19 AM
All steel rusts, it's just a question of how easily.

Very good point :cheers: Mostly Vic stuff resists rust very well but they can rust ;) Stainless is not rust free just less prone to rust that regular steel :tu: I have never had a major problem with anything but high carbon steel to rust while carried though :cheers: If my LM hvae rusted it hasn't been anything serious and only required light scrubbing to get rid of it :tu: I have bought Vics with a similar amount of rust than some of my LM and have gotten it off with a little elbow grease as well :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%