Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PSTII or Juice XE6

gb Offline Pattas29

PSTII or Juice XE6
on: October 06, 2016, 11:27:09 AM
Morning,

I am in the UK and just recently have had to start walking 5 miles to work. I am currently carrying my PSTII.

My question in what would you carry. The PSTII in the sheath is a smaller package that does not protrude under my tshirt.

Just wondering about everyone's take on it?

(I do have loads of other models but these are non locking for UK laws)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: PSTII or Juice XE6
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:52:37 AM
I had had two of each, and now have neither. I do however have Sideclip, KF4 and CS4 (and a few other UK legal options)  :whistle:

I carry the KF4 with a Climber Small (very little duplication), and the Sideclip with whatever SAK best suits the day ahead or my mood that morning. I'll undertake most of the tasks during the day with a SAK, and the pliers tool only comes into play on functions that the SAK doesn't have.
The CS4 and Gerber Balance are the only two pliers tools that I'll carry without being backed up by a "full sized" SAK, but I still have small back up tools on keyrings etc.

Of the two you mentioned, I think I'd be most tempted to carry the PST II, as the Juice is a little bulky in the pocket (but ok for bag carry). I also have a number of issues with some of the Juice tools, and it can sometimes result in tantrums.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 11:55:03 AM
Out of those 2 I'd say the PST.

Another option is the knifeless rebar and a sak. The tools do lock but no knife blade so technically you are within the uk law. Though if you get the wrong police officer they could class the saw as a locking blade.

Outside of work I carry the knifeless rebar with a vic pioneer. Plus the bit adapter for the XE6 also fits on the philips of the rebar so you can still have your extra bits.  The only benefit of the XE6 is the diamond file, the rebar could really do with one.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 11:59:26 AM
I would choose PST2 over XE6 anyday.
Its just more elegant. :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 12:16:46 PM
Got to admit I am surprised there is so little love for the Juice models. However I do understand why. I have a Swiss champ that is more satisfying to carry than the XE6. The reason I like the PSTII so much is it just disappears on your hip the profile is so thin.
After a PM conversation I am thinking I need to try a little harder to get my hands on a Spirit X. The profile on that one in the sheath looks really good to.
XE6 might get dropped into my Berghaus pack I carry daily

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 12:19:44 PM
I had had two of each, and now have neither. I do however have Sideclip, KF4 and CS4 (and a few other UK legal options)  :whistle:

I carry the KF4 with a Climber Small (very little duplication), and the Sideclip with whatever SAK best suits the day ahead or my mood that morning. I'll undertake most of the tasks during the day with a SAK, and the pliers tool only comes into play on functions that the SAK doesn't have.
The CS4 and Gerber Balance are the only two pliers tools that I'll carry without being backed up by a "full sized" SAK, but I still have small back up tools on keyrings etc.

Of the two you mentioned, I think I'd be most tempted to carry the PST II, as the Juice is a little bulky in the pocket (but ok for bag carry). I also have a number of issues with some of the Juice tools, and it can sometimes result in tantrums.

Had a CS4 for a long time one of the older blue models with the longer blade. I really liked that one. Stupidly sold it on.
KF4 I have never had the pleasure but always wanted to try one as it looks alot more symmetrical and there for alot more usable.

Ian

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 02:28:59 AM

Had a CS4 for a long time one of the older blue models with the longer blade. I really liked that one. Stupidly sold it on.
KF4 I have never had the pleasure but always wanted to try one as it looks alot more symmetrical and there for alot more usable.

Ian

Even though it's only one layer difference, I find the CS4 and KF4 a lot more pocketable than a XE6. If i bag carried or jacket carried my MTs instead of pocket carried, this would be a moot point - except that when I do, I'll carry a larger tool. Because I can  :D

The PST II and XE6 give you options for pocket or bag carry, and paired with a modest SAK should work well for you. The beauty of the SAK is that they can sometimes be more easily accepted by folk who aren't used to being around knife users. When I bag carried regularly I actually carried a Swisstool. It was out of sight so didn't raise questions, and just used the SAK when a full plier tool wasn't needed. Even if I had been questioned, when I was carrying the bag I was either going to/from work, or to/from the boat, so I always had good reason.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 07:26:32 AM
PST II for pocket

XE6 if in a bag.

I do love the PST II, possibly my most treasured Leatherman

Pete

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 10:41:34 PM
I have a Pro which is in essence a Xe6 and although I love a grand tool selection I would have to say that I would prefer the PST II over it as well just because it is so much more compact plus has everything I would need in a days time :cheers: Even though I am no fan of the combo blade and have a PE blade in the one that I do carry from time to time :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%