Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Washers?

se Offline hectorlektor

Washers?
on: August 12, 2016, 09:35:46 PM
Is there somewhere where you can get washers that will fit more or less all leathermans? Relativ big inner diameter but relativ small outer diameter, and quite thin would be nice or different thicknesses.

ca Offline jcs0001

Re: Washers?
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:24:57 AM
I can't help you as far as sourcing the washers however I would look at making them.  You could make different thicknesses out of brass shim stock (sheets of brass that come in different thicknesses from very thin on up).  I have an inexpensive punch set (use a hammer with them) and with a bit of care I expect you could make whatever you want.  You could use aluminium from beer and pop tins but it would likely gall eventually (become sticky in use).  Various industrial supply places should stock the brass and if not you can definitely get it through ebay.

If you use thin brass you could use scissors to make the outside of the washers but would likely need a punch to make the initial hole.

Best of Luck,

John.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 03:29:10 PM
I gave this further thought and came up with another idea for making these.  Unfortunately I can't locate my brass shim stock or I'd have included a few photos.

Take two small flat pieces of hardwood or good plywood and sandwich one or more pieces of brass shim stock between them.  Drill through the sandwich and create the inside hole for your washers.  This is simple and only requires a drill and suitable sized bit - perhaps easier than trying to locate a punch of the proper size. 

Once the inside holes are created use a scissors to cut the outside or get fancy and mount a sandwich of small pieces of plywood on each end and the roughed out washers in the middle - mount them on a bolt, chuck the bolt into a drill (or use a lathe if available) and file them down to size while the drill spins the works.

Hope this makes some sense.  If I find my shim stock I'll put a few photos up.

John.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 08:18:53 PM
I gave this further thought and came up with another idea for making these.  Unfortunately I can't locate my brass shim stock or I'd have included a few photos.

Take two small flat pieces of hardwood or good plywood and sandwich one or more pieces of brass shim stock between them.  Drill through the sandwich and create the inside hole for your washers.  This is simple and only requires a drill and suitable sized bit - perhaps easier than trying to locate a punch of the proper size. 

Once the inside holes are created use a scissors to cut the outside or get fancy and mount a sandwich of small pieces of plywood on each end and the roughed out washers in the middle - mount them on a bolt, chuck the bolt into a drill (or use a lathe if available) and file them down to size while the drill spins the works.

Hope this makes some sense.  If I find my shim stock I'll put a few photos up.

John.

That's actually a great idea! Thanks for that info
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 08:33:41 PM
Let me know if it works  :D

I'm pretty sure it will work and I'll try it once the shim stock reappears.

John.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD