Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evolution series Wenger style scissors expectations 373

Newbie Posts: 17
Evolution series Wenger style scissors expectations
« on: September 05, 2021, 09:59:38 PM »
I've had my new Evolution S17 now going onto 2 weeks.  I just wanted to check with you guys what can I expect of my Wenger style serrated scissors in terms of cutting performance?  Mine performs just fine with sheets of plain paper, and light cardboard, however, the serrations would suggest to me these scissors should also be good for cutting light fabric, plastic wrappers, light cords etc... but mine struggles sometimes.  Occasionally the material would fold in between the blades requiring some coaxing, and I would have to attempt it several times to start cutting.  When it starts cutting, then it's fine and I can continue to cut.  In contrast, the Victorinox style scissors on my Swiss Champ cuts through the same material like butter without a hiccup the first time every time.  My Evo S17 scissors feels like it's sharpness is not at the level of the Swiss Champ scissors, and I'm considering sending it back to Victorinox to check it and sharpen it if possible.  But before I do that, I'm just curious what the experience have been like for others who have the Evolution series Wenger style scissors, and if my experience with it so far is representative or the exception. 

I was expecting the effortless performance of the Victorinox scissors that everyone raves about and is true.  Thanks

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 10:10:37 PM by maxdog »
Full Member Posts: 193
Re: Evolution series Wenger style scissors expectations
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 10:27:05 PM »
I too have found the Wenger scissors to bind more in fibrous materials. They will usually do the job just fine so long as I pay attention to technique. They just cut a bit differently.
 In general i prefer the Victorinox scissors, but if I only had the option of the Wenger type I would still carry them and get by just fine. Luckily the SAKs with those scissors also have a nail file!
Full Member Posts: 218
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 11:10:30 PM »
I've had my new Evolution S17 now going onto 2 weeks.  I just wanted to check with you guys what can I expect of my Wenger style serrated scissors in terms of cutting performance?  Mine performs just fine with sheets of plain paper, and light cardboard, however, the serrations would suggest to me these scissors should also be good for cutting light fabric, plastic wrappers, light cords etc... but mine struggles sometimes.  Occasionally the material would fold in between the blades requiring some coaxing, and I would have to attempt it several times to start cutting.  When it starts cutting, then it's fine and I can continue to cut.  In contrast, the Victorinox style scissors on my Swiss Champ cuts through the same material like butter without a hiccup the first time every time.  My Evo S17 scissors feels like it's sharpness is not at the level of the Swiss Champ scissors, and I'm considering sending it back to Victorinox to check it and sharpen it if possible.  But before I do that, I'm just curious what the experience have been like for others who have the Evolution series Wenger style scissors, and if my experience with it so far is representative or the exception. 

I was expecting the effortless performance of the Victorinox scissors that everyone raves about and is true.  Thanks

That has been my experience as well. My 3 Wenger style rate a solid c+  compared to a+ for all of my victorinox style.
No Life Club Posts: 2,412
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 11:46:59 PM »
There are few things I’ve found that I prefer the Wenger style serrations for are hard materials like light gauge sheet metal. Also for tight radius curves in paper, when the marks from the serrations aren’t an issue for the final product.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
Hero Member Posts: 556
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 12:11:26 AM »
My experience matches yours, maxdog.

Last month I did the Daredevil Challenge with a Delemont Evolution S557, so same scissors. Was pretty frustrating not knowing what the scissors would be able to cut easily vs. what they'd struggle with. I was very happy to switch to my Swiss Champ at the end of the challenge.

Current SAKs:
Champion "c", Bijou (3), Classic SD (5), Cavalier, Mini Champ (2nd gen.) Plus (mod), Swiss Champ (2), Explorer (2), Deluxe Tinker, Climber, Pioneer Alox, Bantam, Delemont Evolution S557, Wenger Serrated Commander, Huntsman, Serrated Spartan/Weekender, Executive, Explorer Plus, Deluxe Explorer Plus (mod), Wenger Traveler, Marlboro Unlimited Outdoorsman, Alox Classic SD, Spartan, Champion "a"
No Life Club Posts: 1,364
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 01:03:50 AM »
I consider the Wenger style scissors a bit crude, but they will chew through things like zip ties that the Vic scissors tend to push out without cutting.

- Steve
Newbie Posts: 17
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 09:31:41 AM »
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, it is helpful.  I won't send the knife back knowing this is normal.  I used the serrated scissors to cut up some water bottles to make some containers out of them and they worked fine on them, as well as some toothpaste tubes, cut them up effortlessly too.  They work better on certain materials and some not so well.  Not up to par with  the Victorinox, but still good.  I guess those excellent Victorinox scissors set the bar really high and everything else is going to pale in comparison.  I'm still very happy with the Evolution S17 with all of it's other redeeming features.  :climber:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $96.10
PayPal Fees: $5.60
Net Balance: $90.50
Below Goal: $209.50
Site Currency: USD
30%