Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Little SAKs

TonySal · 1264 · 83569

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: The Little SAKs
Reply #420 on: February 25, 2020, 04:32:59 AM
I do too!
Barry

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #421 on: March 02, 2020, 03:07:37 AM
...been looking at the Bay for all kinds of Classics with interesting scales...maybe.  :think:  :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #422 on: March 02, 2020, 05:35:31 AM
I'm thinking about collecting the Classics too Tony.   The nice thing is that there's no shortage of interesting ones!  I've also renewed my love of the Minichamp.  Folder Beholder has a beautiful collection of them.
Barry

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #423 on: March 02, 2020, 02:42:04 PM
...been looking at the Bay for all kinds of Classics with interesting scales...maybe.  :think:  :cheers:

That is one big rabbit hole to go down.. :whistle: There must be a billion choices!!! :facepalm:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #424 on: March 02, 2020, 07:55:49 PM
I'm thinking about collecting the Classics too Tony.   The nice thing is that there's no shortage of interesting ones!  I've also renewed my love of the Minichamp.  Folder Beholder has a beautiful collection of them.

I have a minichamp on deck for when I have a few more gray hairs and a lot more wisdom.  It's not quite what I need at the moment. 

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #425 on: March 02, 2020, 08:49:28 PM
That is one big rabbit hole to go down.. :whistle: There must be a billion choices!!! :facepalm:

Only a billon????

I think your on the conservative side a bit. :whistle:
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #426 on: March 02, 2020, 11:53:14 PM
I'll give you a few gray hairs Tony...I definitely have some to spare :facepalm:
I have a minichamp on deck for when I have a few more gray hairs and a lot more wisdom.  It's not quite what I need at the moment.
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #427 on: March 03, 2020, 01:52:54 AM
 :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #428 on: March 03, 2020, 02:50:24 AM
...as of now: 1 new with me and wife's initials, red; 2 Chinese 'give-aways" from Chase, safety blades couldn't cut butter and one yellow very used from the bay.
The Classic at least brings a smile when someone needs something cut... awww!  :)
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #429 on: March 03, 2020, 05:49:37 AM
Big time Tony!  Actually, I love the challenge of seeing what it can do. Carl is right. They're a lot tougher than you'd think, and that blade is the sharpest thing around!
Barry

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #430 on: March 03, 2020, 02:15:40 PM
Only a billon????

I think your on the conservative side a bit. :whistle:

OK.. Ya got me.. A Billion and a Half.. :think:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #431 on: March 03, 2020, 03:01:59 PM
...if only the Classic had the nail file like the Executive instead of that odd 'sand paper' or whatever you call it.... :dunno:

A bit late to the party... The older models do, I have been lucky enough to pick two of them up second hand locally.

I'll give this topic a try as well: If someone knows where to find (or perhaps how to make) single scissor springs for the older 58 mm knives please let me know. I didn't consider that the knife was that old before giving it a scale swap and have now ended up with a nice looking modified knife without a spring for the scissors. The old spring was missing when I got it and the more modern folded springs are too big where it folds to fit between the shanks.

us Offline TonySal

Reply #432 on: March 04, 2020, 03:01:25 AM
I sent away and forgot!
Bay parts, Victorinox?
I guess we would choose the smallest size...
Replacement parts or Accessories ?
join KNIFE RIGHTS

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #433 on: March 04, 2020, 04:27:08 PM
I was able to switch the spring from the blue unmodified knife to the brass one, I don't know if the folded spring is representative of how it would have looked from the factory but it works. The more modern folded springs are a bit bigger at the fold but can be made to fit with a few light taps with a hammer to compress the fold. The flip side of this is that it alters the width of the spring but that seems to be possible to fix with some careful bending.

Now I'm the happy owner of a nice looking knife that mixes the size of the Classic with the file of the Executive.  :woohoo:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #434 on: March 05, 2020, 12:52:16 AM
I was able to switch the spring from the blue unmodified knife to the brass one, I don't know if the folded spring is representative of how it would have looked from the factory but it works. The more modern folded springs are a bit bigger at the fold but can be made to fit with a few light taps with a hammer to compress the fold. The flip side of this is that it alters the width of the spring but that seems to be possible to fix with some careful bending.

Now I'm the happy owner of a nice looking knife that mixes the size of the Classic with the file of the Executive.  :woohoo:
:salute:    :cheers:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #435 on: March 06, 2020, 03:58:53 PM
This is my favorite 58mm scale.  I have made the decision to put it, along with my ATOM A0 Ti with red led, together on a ball chain. 

IMG_0369.jpg
* IMG_0369.jpg (Filesize: 152.6 KB)
IMG_0370.jpg
* IMG_0370.jpg (Filesize: 133.57 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #436 on: March 06, 2020, 04:01:47 PM
I love it Aloha!  That's my motto :D
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #437 on: March 06, 2020, 04:03:12 PM
Thanks.  When I saw it I had to have it.  Collecting interesting 58s will be fun.  Do you have any minicamps yet?  I cant remember  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #438 on: March 06, 2020, 04:28:24 PM
This is my favorite 58mm scale.  I have made the decision to put it, along with my ATOM A0 Ti with red led, together on a ball chain. 

:like: My wife has the same one clipped to her sling pack..  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #439 on: March 06, 2020, 04:38:47 PM
 :2tu: Mrs.39hotrod  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #440 on: March 06, 2020, 06:22:24 PM
Just one right now.  I love getting the pen out and using it.  The look on people's faces is priceless!  It's currently riding on my keychain.  I'm considering trying to start a collection of 58mm Classics and Minichamps.
Folder Beholder has a beautiful vintage Minichamp that really caught my eye, and the Classic variations are a world unto themselves!
Thanks.  When I saw it I had to have it.  Collecting interesting 58s will be fun.  Do you have any minicamps yet?  I cant remember  :think:
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #441 on: March 07, 2020, 04:44:35 AM
...likin' my mini champ bay model!  Mini pics?
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #442 on: March 07, 2020, 04:21:38 PM
Here's mine!  I hiked a portion of the Appalachian Trail armed only with this guy.
IMG_20200307_102029.jpg
* IMG_20200307_102029.jpg (Filesize: 215.73 KB)
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #443 on: March 07, 2020, 04:46:46 PM
Here's mine!  I hiked a portion of the Appalachian Trail armed only with this guy.

Those little 58's are much more capable than most people would give them credit for. When I still backpacked and lived n the Washington D/.C. area, I'd gp packing up and down the Appalachian Trail with my Vic classic on my keyring, and a Vic secretary in my pocket. Those two knives were my deep woods knives. Although to be honest, most my knife work on those trips was cutting the red wax off the gouda cheese, or slitting open the packages of Mountain House freeze dried turkey tetrazzini. I think by the very nature of backpacking, with shelter and sleeping gear on your back, you really don't need much in the way of a knife. I wish I had known that in my younger day when I though a Bowie knife was needed to brave the wilds of the National parks where most backpacking is done. Could have saved myself some effort! :o

Considering most of the worlds urban populace doesn't even bother to carry a knife at all these days, having a very sharp little blade between an inch and two puts you one up on most folks. I can't think of much in the way of cutting that a small keychain size knife won't handle in modern suburbia. My old classic cut open plastic bags of mulch, cut twine, opened cardboard boxes and broke down same for the recycle bin, did scissor duty on stray beard and mustache hairs, trimmed broken finger nails and filed same, fixed a clothes drier, fixed an electric trolling motor on the canoe out on a very big lake, fixed a staled Vespa motor scooter on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, and much more. But most of all, it helped our Welsh Corgi out in the woods when she got a sticker up between her paw pads. The little Vic tweezers saved the day.

Never, never, under estimate how handy a 58mm SAK can be. I definitely share Tony's enthusiasm for the little SAK's. Now carrying an executive, I feel very well equipped to take on life in the savage wilds of suburbia.  :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:04:44 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #444 on: March 07, 2020, 04:51:19 PM
Excellent post cbl51!!! :like: :cheers:

Nice one Barry...

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #445 on: March 07, 2020, 05:27:13 PM
Thanks 39!  Carl, you're right!  I'm looking forward to doing a Yeager hike with the Executive.  My favorite blade on it is the smaller 58mm.  They're beyond Opinel sharp!
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #446 on: March 07, 2020, 06:37:26 PM
...wow the AT with a Classic or 58mm SAK, you guys are good! I was thinking more Kbar lol
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #447 on: March 07, 2020, 06:41:28 PM
Thanks 39!  Carl, you're right!  I'm looking forward to doing a Yeager hike with the Executive.  My favorite blade on it is the smaller 58mm.  They're beyond Opinel sharp!

Yeah, the small blade of the executive is like a surgeons scalpel. Nice thin blade with a great geometry for a razor edge. I use the small blade the most, and save the larger blade for food or easier stuff. The larger blade has a bit more blunt geometry to it as its a bit thicker for its width, so not quite the scalpel of the small blade.

A Yeager hike with an executive is a cake walk! :tu:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #448 on: March 07, 2020, 06:43:23 PM
...seems we should start a Hiking SACs thread or something ... :think:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #449 on: March 07, 2020, 06:53:07 PM
...wow the AT with a Classic or 58mm SAK, you guys are good! I was thinking more Kbar lol

Tony, it's not really that much an achievement. By the nature of the beast kind of thing, backpacking means you already have food, shelter, and bedding with you and don't need to hack out a living with a bowieknife the way the mountain men did it. Heck, even the old mountain men got by with a thin bladed butcher knife. The famed Green River skining knives and such were just good old kitchen style butcher knives in a sheath. They traveled with tarps, blankets, cook ware like cast iron frying pans and coffee pots. Probably an ax on one of the pack animals. They even used simple friction folders for general cutting.

In 2000, I did a cross country motorcycle ride from Maryland to the Oregon coast and back. I stopped at the mountain man museum in Colorado and Bent's Old Fort in Colorado. It was interesting. Hollywood has really blown it all out of wack. It wasn't nuthin like the Jeremiah Johnson move with Redford.

With todays modern high tech materials and gear, you can carry all your shelter and gear in a 30 pound pack. In a water proof shelter bevy zipped up in a down or synthetic bag, you'll be warmer and more comfy in a blizzard than the old mountain men.  An inch and a half of blade is enough for modern backpacking.

Recommend reading; "Press On" by Chuck Yeager. He found the executive ve enough for two weeks in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Its a hilarious funny book in its honesty. Yeager and his friends were some real characters.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 07:43:55 PM by cbl51 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%