Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Little SAKs

TonySal · 1262 · 83301

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: The Little SAKs
Reply #450 on: March 07, 2020, 06:58:31 PM
...seems we should start a Hiking SACs thread or something ... :think:

:pok:

I started a general one on the outdoor forum. Feel free to add to it. It's about 50/50 split between SAKs and MTs.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83526.0.html

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #451 on: March 07, 2020, 07:32:59 PM
Thanks 11B  :salute:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #452 on: March 07, 2020, 07:34:43 PM
Tony, it's not really that much an achievement. By the nature of the beast kind of thing, backpacking means you already have food, shelter, and bedding with you and don't need to hack out a living with a bowieknife the way the mountain men did it. Heck, even the old mountain men got by with a thin bladed butcher knife. The famed Green River shining knives and such were just good old kitchen style butcher knives in a sheath. They traveled with tarps, blankets, cook ware like cast iron flying pans and coffee pots. Probably an ax on one of the pack animals. They even used simple friction folders for general cutting.

In 2000, I did a cross country motorcycle ride from Maryland to the Oregon coast and back. I stopped at the mountain man museum in Colorado and Bent's Old Fort in Colorado. It was interesting. Hollywood has really blown it all out of wack. It wasn't nuthin like the Jeremiah Johnson move with Redford.

With todays modern high tech materials and gear, you can carry all your shelter and gear in a 30 pound pack. In a water proof shelter bevy zipped up in a down or synthetic bag, you'll be warmer and more comfy in a blizzard than the old mountain men.  An inch and a half of blade is enough for modern backpacking.

Recommend reading; "Press On" by Chuck Yeager. He found the executive ve enough for two weeks in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Its a hilarious funny book in its honesty. Yeager and his friends were some real characters.
...and maybe someday soon I will try a northbound.... :think:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #453 on: March 07, 2020, 10:13:38 PM
Meet you halfway Tony!  Carl is right.  I used the Minichamp mainly for cutting open snack packages.  The older I get, the more conscious I am of gear weight.  I'm not Charles Lindbergh obsessed with gear weight, but I am trying to shave what I can off my high mileage back and legs.  I really didn't notice the need for anything else as the Minichamp handled it all.
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #454 on: March 07, 2020, 10:14:02 PM
Barry

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #455 on: March 07, 2020, 11:10:56 PM
Meet you halfway Tony!  Carl is right.  I used the Minichamp mainly for cutting open snack packages.  The older I get, the more conscious I am of gear weight.  I'm not Charles Lindbergh obsessed with gear weight, but I am trying to shave what I can off my high mileage back and legs.  I really didn't notice the need for anything else as the Minichamp handled it all.

I have a minichamp I haven't used yet.  I like the concept, but it wouldn't quite work for me at this point.  I need a bit more scissor and a bit more screwdriver for now.

Have you guys found uses for all the tools? The pharma spatula?

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #456 on: March 07, 2020, 11:14:24 PM
...seems we should start a Hiking SACs thread or something ... :think:

:iagree: :like: :iagree:  My Walker goes with me while hiking.. And a Wenger Eveo-Grip 18 is ALWAYS in my pack!!! :tu: :tu:

Also.. Picked a MiniChamp on the Bay!! :cheers:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #457 on: March 07, 2020, 11:17:39 PM
:iagree: :like: :iagree:  My Walker goes with me while hiking.. And a Wenger Eveo-Grip 18 is ALWAYS in my pack!!! :tu: :tu:

Also.. Picked a MiniChamp on the Bay!! :cheers:

All good choices

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #458 on: March 07, 2020, 11:20:04 PM
Thank You ElevenBlade..  :hatsoff:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #459 on: March 07, 2020, 11:34:18 PM
 :iagree: The Evo 18 is a wonderful hiking and camping knife!  Congrats on the Minichamp!!
All good choices
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #460 on: March 07, 2020, 11:36:11 PM

I have a minichamp I haven't used yet.  I like the concept, but it wouldn't quite work for me at this point.  I need a bit more scissor and a bit more screwdriver for now.

Have you guys found uses for all the tools? The pharma spatula? The spatula makes a great straight edge screwdriver! 
Barry

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #461 on: March 07, 2020, 11:43:56 PM
:iagree: The Evo 18 is a wonderful hiking and camping knife!  Congrats on the Minichamp!!

Thank You Barry... :hatsoff:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #462 on: March 07, 2020, 11:47:22 PM
 :cheers: 39!  I had a Patagonia version once.  I loved it, but moved it on in an absent minded moment for something else :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #463 on: March 08, 2020, 10:35:16 PM

...I may try the mini champ in watch pocket for awhile....
join KNIFE RIGHTS

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #464 on: March 08, 2020, 11:13:12 PM
This is my favorite 58mm scale.  I have made the decision to put it, along with my ATOM A0 Ti with red led, together on a ball chain. 

Love those scales!  :like:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #465 on: March 09, 2020, 02:12:32 AM
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #466 on: March 09, 2020, 02:59:20 AM
...I may try the mini champ in watch pocket for awhile....

Looking forward to mine.. Supposed to land here Thur.. :mail:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #467 on: March 09, 2020, 12:46:02 PM
Great stories about hiking and 58mms.  I read a lot of folks setting out with 58s and not feeling the need or want for anything larger.  The MiniChanp is wonderful SAK but over the years I've settled on the Manager for keychain duty.  I still like to carry my MC around the house and while the "coke" spoon  ;) doesn't see much use its a neat implement.  The picker blade is exceptional. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #468 on: March 09, 2020, 03:03:47 PM
Colin Fetcher, the backpacking guru who wrote "The Complete Walker" that was the Bible of backpackers in the 1970's and 80's, was a fn of the classic. Inhis second book, "The Complete Walker II" he talked about finally abandoning his old 6 inch sheath knife and going with just a Vic classic. The Classic then became the mandatory piece of cutlery for all backpackers because Colin Fletcher said he uses one. Colin then went on to write "The Complete Walker III' The Complete Walker IV" and so on.

In truth, for backpacking, he makes sense. If you indeed have everything you need in your pack, what would you need a large knife for? In all my years of ultra light backpacking, I don't think I ever really needed more than a 58mm SAK.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #469 on: March 09, 2020, 03:11:38 PM
I have friend that is section hiking the AT.. All he uses is a single edge razor blade..

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #470 on: March 09, 2020, 03:27:19 PM
That's where I got the idea from to try it Carl, and he's absolutely right.
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #471 on: March 09, 2020, 03:38:47 PM
With the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails I'd imagine a sharp object is good enough.  From what I've seen of those who have completed or even just hiked a section, a large blade was just not needed.  I've read some like to carry a small MT or folder.  I think its a matter of what works for you like anything.  I'm not sure what I'd bring  :dunno:.  I can tell you shoes would be my primary then sleep secondary priorities.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #472 on: March 09, 2020, 03:59:08 PM
That's actually spot on Aloha.  I've spoken with Thru Hikers of both trails, all of who said that a knife or Multitool wasn't really even in their minds as far as planning went.  Thank God for us M/T guys!! :D
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #473 on: March 09, 2020, 07:12:48 PM
With the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails I'd imagine a sharp object is good enough.  From what I've seen of those who have completed or even just hiked a section, a large blade was just not needed.  I've read some like to carry a small MT or folder.  I think its a matter of what works for you like anything.  I'm not sure what I'd bring  :dunno:.  I can tell you shoes would be my primary then sleep secondary priorities.     

I've never done the Pacific Crest trail, but over my life I've done so many sections of the Appalachian that I've lost accounted for most of it. And your right, a knife really is not needed much at all. Starting in spring down at Springer Mountain its chilly/cold and wet. Very good rain gear is needed, as well as a weather proof bivy shelter. Once you're on the trail for a month, you're into warmer weather, and I usually switched to hammock camping with a very light weight water proof 10X12 nylon tarp that rolled up the size and weight of a loaf of Wonder bread. By summer, you've stopped at a few small towns and mailed stuff home because you didn't need it anymore.

Once up into Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania and New Jersey, you switch from boots to light weight trail shoes by New Balance or Merril. The pack gets lighter as well, as you pass by small towns where you can re-supply more often. By summers end up in New England, you need to have the cold wet weather stuff mailed to you, because in fall it gets chilly in New England. By the time you get to Maine, you need all your winter stuff back, especially if you're running a little late in the season.

But at no time did I ever need much knife. But the one single bit of gear I wouldn't go without is, my little beat up Optimus 8R stove. By modern standards its antiquated, a bit heavy, and theres smaller lighter little stoves on the market. But like an alox Pioneer, its nigh on unbreakable and reliable. And after a chilly wet day, and I'm finally under my tarp shelter, its great to have a nice hot drink of tea, or cocoa or instant chicken soup or warm bourbon and water as a hot toddy. In my later years I did experiment with the soda can alcohol stove, and it worked, but that was at the very end of my backpacking days.

I think if Colin Fletcher were alive today, you may hear him joke, "Knife? We don't need no steenkin knife!"
 :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:38:22 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #474 on: March 09, 2020, 07:23:44 PM
I have an Optimus 8R Carl, and while it might be a little heavy compared to my pocket rocket, there's no greater sound than that roar!
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #475 on: March 09, 2020, 08:44:54 PM
I have an Optimus 8R Carl, and while it might be a little heavy compared to my pocket rocket, there's no greater sound than that roar!

Yeah, its like a jet engine on after burners!

I recall timing it once, on a very cold morning on the A.T. with early morning temps in the high 30's. The water from my canteen was like ice water from the fridge as I poured it into the GI issue aluminum canteen cup/pot. I set the pot on the stove when that roar kicked in and I knew it was drawing from the fuel tank like gangbusters. It was like 4 minutes and a few seconds till bubbles were rising and the water just starting to boil. The tea tasted great on that cold morning! :tu:

I think the Optimus is like an old Smith and Wesson .38 revolver. Its always going to work! Kind of like Victorinox stuff; always works like its supposed to with no surprises.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #476 on: March 09, 2020, 09:01:44 PM
Exactly :iagree:
Barry

us Offline TonySal

Reply #477 on: April 01, 2020, 04:39:05 AM
 :tu: some more cheers for the Executive?!
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #478 on: April 01, 2020, 04:53:09 AM
Absolutely Tony!
Barry

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #479 on: April 01, 2020, 06:33:03 AM
I've never done the Pacific Crest trail, but over my life I've done so many sections of the Appalachian that I've lost accounted for most of it. And your right, a knife really is not needed much at all. Starting in spring down at Springer Mountain its chilly/cold and wet. Very good rain gear is needed, as well as a weather proof bivy shelter. Once you're on the trail for a month, you're into warmer weather, and I usually switched to hammock camping with a very light weight water proof 10X12 nylon tarp that rolled up the size and weight of a loaf of Wonder bread. By summer, you've stopped at a few small towns and mailed stuff home because you didn't need it anymore.

Once up into Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania and New Jersey, you switch from boots to light weight trail shoes by New Balance or Merril. The pack gets lighter as well, as you pass by small towns where you can re-supply more often. By summers end up in New England, you need to have the cold wet weather stuff mailed to you, because in fall it gets chilly in New England. By the time you get to Maine, you need all your winter stuff back, especially if you're running a little late in the season.

But at no time did I ever need much knife. But the one single bit of gear I wouldn't go without is, my little beat up Optimus 8R stove. By modern standards its antiquated, a bit heavy, and theres smaller lighter little stoves on the market. But like an alox Pioneer, its nigh on unbreakable and reliable. And after a chilly wet day, and I'm finally under my tarp shelter, its great to have a nice hot drink of tea, or cocoa or instant chicken soup or warm bourbon and water as a hot toddy. In my later years I did experiment with the soda can alcohol stove, and it worked, but that was at the very end of my backpacking days.

I think if Colin Fletcher were alive today, you may hear him joke, "Knife? We don't need no steenkin knife!"
 :D

I've done the John Muir Trail twice which joins up with part of the PCT, most recently about 4 years ago, and while it is only about 220 miles long it has high elevation with several pass elevations of just over 13200 ft at some parts(Forester Pass). There is a section near the southern end where there is a stretch of about 110 miles with no chance of resupply.

I carried a Huntsman with the thought that I might have to use a saw for some reason. I never did.

There were a few times where the pliers on a Deluxe Tinker would have come in handy to repair some gear so I am thinking about either bringing that or an Exec for when I either do the JMT again or a section of the PCT in a few years. I do think having the two blades would come in handy on the Deluxe Tinker as I like to eat summer sausages/salami and hard cheese for the first couple of days after a resupply (to break up the monotony of usual trail food) and the larger blade would be nice.

I also always carry a Classic SD, back up tweezers are always handy as I have lost them on the trail before in the past.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%