Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Rally

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
The Rally
on: September 06, 2016, 11:42:51 AM
Well gents and gentettes, as some of you may recall I won one of the excellent 10th Anniversary Give Aways (It wasn't really an anniversary GAW, it was Huntsman's NLC Celebration Giveaway, but it occured at the same time as all the other fantastic events)

There was a poll on Worst Bottle opener, with 2 prizes - both being 58mm Vics, and I was lucky enough to win one (by default, being the only person who didn't give a preference for scissors  :D )

The plot got more interesting when Huntsman had a little accident and broke a spring  :-\ - but, as documented in his excellent Mod thread - it underwent repairs, and soon enough, underwent postage to my good self. (It feels good to me - If I'm being completely honest, the Cap Lifter "snap" is a little soft, but I don't have a like-tool to compare it to, and the cap lifter has a fairly wide/rounded shape, so it makes sense it wouldn't click as clearly as the two narrower tools - If I wasn't aware that it had been pulled apart and rebuilt, it wouldn't occur to me to even notice it)

There's a few things I know about Huntsman -
He's generous - both with Giveaways and with his time, updating the SAK wiki.
He lives in one of the most beautiful places on earth (That's not subjective - Housing prices in the area prove it  :rofl: )
He's a bit cheap when it comes to buying mailing envelopes  :rofl:
He likes Cornflakes.

But onto the Tool!
So I won a Rally.

Apparently Rally is a french term, with a similar meaning to "reassemble" or "reunite" - Which works well, because he had to put it back together  ::)

So the Rally is a 58mm sak (for those not inclined to remember numbers or think in mm - that's the same as a Vic Classic)
It's closest (well known) relative would arguably be a Classic SD, however the scissors are swapped out for a cap lifter with a small phillips on it, and a wire stripped notch. The SAKWiki helpfully informed me that the driver was lightly magnetised, and so it is.

(the closest feature relative would probably be the Rover, which has a flat head on the cap lifter, and the nail cleaner on the nail file)

I don't know anyone who wouldn't find utility in a small set of Vic Scissors, but for the "common folk" who don't carry too much kit, the Rally is an excellent choice - it gives you a cap lifter and an eyeglass screwdriver - two items I know I use very often on my LM and is worthy of consideration (To those who would say "A Rambler gives you the best of both worlds with cap lifter AND Scissors" - That's true, but backing the underdog is what got me a Rally in the first place, so it's a standout in my book  ;) )

I have not yet decided where the Rally will sit in my daily activities - much like many of you, I have most of my bases covered, and the Rally adds little in strict terms of capability that I don't already have.

Rest assured, it will find a niche somewhere. It may get paired up with a heavier duty multi that doesn't have the fine screwdrivers.

So thanks again Huntsman - for the GAW, for taking the time and effort to repair the tool, and for sending it to me on the far side of the world.

From here I open the floor for those who want to show their appreciation for the little SAKs - the Keychainers, the Watch-pocketers, the Desk-Jobbers and the Travellers (I've lauded the Vic Classic more than once on this forum, and I'm sure the Rally will earn my esteem as well)

us Offline rivercity

Re: The Rally
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:11:09 PM
I dig the Rally myself.... the phillips is on the correct side.....  :whistle:

:cheers:
photo(25).JPG
* photo(25).JPG (Filesize: 387.19 KB)
Chuck

"Well, when it comes down to me against a situation, I don't like the situation to win." ~ MacGyver

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 01:00:34 AM
So how bad is the cap lifter at cap lifting? Did you test it yet?

I have a Rambler and I must say I don't quite know what to make of that strange implement that sets it apart from the Classic.
It promises a lot, and looks like a marvel of engineering, but whenever I've needed to open a bottle (an alarmingly regular occurrence) it never occurs to me to use it. I think I tried it once and found it a little fiddly. And as a screwdriver, it seems suitable only for delicate things, such as glasses.

So it's a strange device, and in this configuration, without scissors, it's even stranger!
Congrats on your big win & I hope you have fun with it!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:51:36 AM

Not sure, and not sure when I'll get a chance.

I'm working on some pics to make this more interesting....

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 03:26:00 AM
There's a few things I know about Huntsman -
He's a bit cheap when it comes to buying mailing envelopes  :rofl:
Hmmm - I prefer to describe this as:
He likes to conserve and recycle the earth's scare and limited resources  ;)  :o

He likes Cornflakes.
This one had me confused, as I am not really that keen on Cornflakes, then I remembered this was probably another bit of package recycling, ..... and my son is the Cornflake fan!!  :D

It is not bad - It works very well - At least it always has done for me.
And no-one at MTo voted for it in the Worst MT Bottle Opener Poll .

Hey SM - I have an offer for you
When I did the repair I was a little cautious and under time pressure as I wanted to get the GAW package sent out.
But after I did, it I thought to myself - Why did I not turn it into a Rambler?? I even have a spare pair of scissors.
And as you, and everyone else, including me, has said - Who wants a SAK w/o scissors ???

So this is the offer - I know you will be going past my house when you get back to Oz at Christmastime
If you drop the Rally off here - It will be magically transformed into a Rambler.
I would really like to do this for you, this modding business really is quite fun, and I now have a beautiful guide to tell me how to do it!!  ;)   :D

So let me know, mate!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:29:17 AM by Huntsman »

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 07:48:22 AM
Would agree that old mate is a generous fella. He sent me the PST BO. Good on you for showing everyone how its done!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%