Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Routine Maintenance

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
SAK Routine Maintenance
on: November 23, 2016, 04:49:24 PM
Amici,
Just thought I would post to see what type of oil and maintenance routine if any, do you do regarding their proper functionality and maintenance?

As for me, a regimen of compressed air and oil seem to do the trick. I do the compressed air every once in a while which really depends on the situation. But I do oil my main EDC favorites at least once every week or two.

I have found that Rem oil seems to do a fantastic job since it cleans, lubricates, as well as protect. Plus it doesn't attract dirt and grit, and any access seems to evaporate rather quickly.

I've had great experiences using Break Free and CLP in the past, but nowadays it's all about Rem oil.

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SAK Routine Maintenance
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 05:22:51 PM
I use Victorinox' Multi-tool oil...

Maintenance for me usually is just stropping the blades used during the day... SAKS  on EDC will get some good washing at least once a month if not less if used heavily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 05:26:56 PM
Good quality dishwasher liquid removes grease from skin and accompaning fingerprints from all shiny parts and seem to keep them gone for quite some time.

Got some cheap mineral oil that works great.

I'm quite focused on polishing blade/scale damage gone as far as possible, when I get the chance.

So basicaly I like to keep them clean and smooth so they will be ready to rock when needed.

No routine though, just do it when needed or when bored.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 05:50:59 PM
If its a non food related SAK which by the way is becoming rare I use 3and1 oil.  On all food related SAKs I use mineral oil or frog lube more recently.

I take out pocket lint when its time to strop.  I tend to strop weekly when my SAK has been used very often or more when its seen a hard day, 

No other maintenance is required for mine otherwise.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 06:32:19 PM
I wait until spots of rust are showing then put them on eBay : "LIKE NEW!"
(Of course I make sure the blades are blunt and the openers only open for those who are prepared to lose their fingernails.)

OK it's not me that does this, but plenty of people seem to have this approach!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 08:14:25 PM
Aside from the "LIKE NEW" claim, thats pretty much how I found an old sheffield SAK.  :rofl:
Dull blade, lots of gunk and corrosion, "nail breaker" spring on the opener layer.  :P
It has obviously served its previous owner though.  :salute: The knife itself was being sold by a relative at a car boot sale.  :ahhh

I wait until spots of rust are showing then put them on eBay : "LIKE NEW!"
(Of course I make sure the blades are blunt and the openers only open for those who are prepared to lose their fingernails.)

OK it's not me that does this, but plenty of people seem to have this approach!

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 09:09:17 PM
Not that regularly anymore. My most carried get cleaned in the ultra-sonic-cleaner with handwarm water and a drop of soap. This all for about three minutes.

Then the tool/knife gets clean very nicely, after that dried in sun (at summer) or near the stove (in winter). When it´s dry a drop (!!) of cheap mineral oil will be enough.

Sharping and stroping when needed. Mostly stroping is enough. People tend to use too much on stones these days it seems.
My grandpa was a carpenter and he used to say: "A dull tool is a dangerous tool ... to much force during use."
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 09:42:05 PM
For cleaning I use a hard toothbrush, or nailbrush, with dishwashing soap.
After drying I oil with regular tool oil, furniture oil, or honing oil, whatever's in reach.
DSC00787-solo-washed.jpg
* DSC00787-solo-washed.jpg (Filesize: 246.32 KB)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:43:24 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 10:47:44 PM
I'm in the camp with very warm soapy water and old toothbrush, and very good rinse after. Set in sun to dry, and a few drops of mineral oil on the joints after.

I don't use a stone too much on a knife, wears the blade too fast. My father told me many times to strop often, hone only when really needed. This from a man who used one little Case peanut from 1939 to about 1979ish. Blades were worn down, but still usable. So I use a leather stop, or the back of a legal pad, very few days. Only use a stone when stropping won't get it shaving sharp or newspaper slicing.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 11:15:45 PM
Mine get maintenance when they need it, and not before  :D

A good thorough clean (hot water and dish soap) and oil (with liquid paraffin) as soon as the action isn't as crisp as it should be, and the blades generally get touched up freehand with a steel or diamond steel.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD