Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Computer Builders Unite !

Pacu · 8 · 1309

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: September 30, 2016, 02:23:48 AM
It's about time to upgrade my 2010 rig. Been piecing together parts when i can afford it. AMD has never done me wrong and is great value for those of use on a budget. I don't do much gaming but i watch a lot of video, reddit, MTO ,of course, and need photo storage.

So far I accumulated :

H60 Corsair AIO CPU cooler
Thermaltake 850 watt power supply
AMD FX 8370 Black edition CPU with the new Wraith air cooler ( might use instead of H60 )
MSI 970A motherboard with 3.1 usb
Antec Three Hundred Two midtower case

now i need 3X 120mm fans  maybe blue led
SSD
1TB HHD
Windows 10 OEM 64 bit
Video Card
maybe a new monitor, keyboard and mouse ..but that's way down on priorities

This will be my 3rd build. Let's her about your builds, battlestations, or parts review.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Computer Builders Unite !
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:51:50 AM
building a PC yourself is one of the greatest feeling.  I love doing it, and if I was rich, would probably do it ever year (or multiple times a year)
If I can help, let me know 

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 12:42:52 PM
I've done it several times in the past, but last time I cheaped out on a budget HP box that had some room to grow... I added an Nvidia 9600gt when I first got it and replaced that with a GTX 960 a while ago. It has since new has a power supply upgrade, new CPU cooler, maxed the ram, SSD, a couple standard storage drives and eventually was rehomed into my older self build tower as that has more breathing space... As is now it's: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 Ghz with 8gb ram, Nvidia GTX 960 with 4gb, 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (main linux system), 60 gb OCZ Agility3 SSD (windows), and 2x 500GB SATA storage drives and a Samsung S24B350 (24inch) screen.

I've never really been a fan of AMD/ATI offerings and have always had better experience with Intel/Nvidia kit, but admittedly AMDs usually win on a budget.

I'm likely due to go for a CPU/mainboard/ram upgrade, but I can't see it happening for a while due to budget. In the meantime this beast still runs pretty good considering it's about 7 years old now, but it was still a better system compared to similarly priced setups even a few years after I got it.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 02:21:09 PM
I'm about to upgrade mine again, been busy with other things so I've had boxes of components sat around for a couple (maybe 3) months now  :ahhh

I had to recover from a HD failure before I went for the new stuff so in the next week or so it will get done  :salute:

Samsung EVO's for SSD's I like alot, the extra price of the PRO isn't worth it for day to day use, spinning HDD's it's WD all the way for me (recent bad experience with Seagate).

As far as video cards go I have stuck with nVidea for years and never been let down, now I goofed, I bought 2 980ti's the week before the 1080 was launched. However, two 980ti's seem to slightly out perform a single 1080. They should also be available for a reasonable price now.

Anyhoo, have fun and keep your cable runs tidy  :twak:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:30:03 PM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Pacu

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 05:20:50 PM
building a PC yourself is one of the greatest feeling.  I love doing it, and if I was rich, would probably do it ever year (or multiple times a year)

If i had no budget and was turned loose in Frys Electronics.... :drool: :drool: :drool:   I worked at Best Buy for years and I would still spend my $$ in Frys. The one in Houston on West Road is super massive. Imagine all you would ever need to build a rig with a plethora of choices in each category. 

us Offline Pacu

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 05:25:31 PM
I'm about to upgrade mine again, been busy with other things so I've had boxes of components sat around for a couple (maybe 3) months now  :ahhh

I had to recover from a HD failure before I went for the new stuff so in the next week or so it will get done  :salute:

Samsung EVO's for SSD's I like alot, the extra price of the PRO isn't worth it for day to day use, spinning HDD's it's WD all the way for me (recent bad experience with Seagate).

As far as video cards go I have stuck with nVidea for years and never been let down, now I goofed, I bought 2 980ti's the week before the 1080 was launched. However, two 980ti's seem to slightly out perform a single 1080. They should also be available for a reasonable price now.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice parts there !  This will be my first all in one water cooling install so i'm anxious to see how much better it cools than air coolers. Been watching Tom's Hardware videos a bit on comparisons.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 05:31:35 PM
My current setup has served me well. After i downloaded 10 from 7 pro lots of slight hiccups went away. Seems pretty stable running a WD 1TB  for everything and several external 3.0 WD drives. 500g, 250g and 1 TB.

Next setup will use a SSD for OS only

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 05:35:24 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice parts there !  This will be my first all in one water cooling install so i'm anxious to see how much better it cools than air coolers. Been watching Tom's Hardware videos a bit on comparisons.

AIO's work, but they do have a limited lifespan (two ish years), custom watercooling loops are the way to go. They are very expensive and to be honest the newer low power intel CPU's and nVidia GPU's really do well on good air cooling.

The only reason I'm using the AIO on the CPU is I overclock and I never turn it off.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD