Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knifeless Rebar

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Knifeless Rebar
Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 11:44:56 PM
I like the first version better  ;)

Same but i take off small Flathead Blast out and put rebar Flathead + Guthook  :cheers:

You just can't leave your tool alone  :o

:pok:

* Hacker.jpg (Filesize: 1.87 KB)

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #31 on: July 22, 2016, 11:29:07 AM
I'm very interested in the knife-less Rebar, as it's the only full-size Leatherman that is legal to carry in a public place in the UK - it's completely illegal to carry any sort of locking blade (you can only carry a non-locking blade up to 3"), and you can be arrested for this, even if you have a legitimate reason to have the knife/tool on you.

Also, my primary EDC knife is a Spyderco Urban (British Blades forum special edition with Elmax steel), which is UK-legal, stays sharp, has OHO, and a deep-carry pocket clip, so I have no need for a knife on my multitool.

I just wish Leatherman offered more of their models without knife blades (but replaced them with more useful tools instead e.g. maybe a Skeletool with a saw instead of a knife blade).

Anyway, even though it wouldn't be my first choice of Leatherman, I'm thinking of buying this one, as it's the only model I can carry pretty much anywhere in the UK and the rest of Europe, except on an plane (though can go in the hold).

BTW does the Rebar fit the "universal" Leatherman nylon sheath (the one with the hole in the bottom so you can carry deployed pliers, and with side pockets) well, or is it too loose in that, as it's smaller than the Wave etc.? I want to be able to carry my mini Topeak Rocket ratchet plus Leatherman bit extension in the side pockets and Leatherman bits in the back pocket.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:31:52 AM by Oxford_Guy »
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #32 on: July 22, 2016, 01:43:41 PM
My understanding is that the locking saw is enough to get you into trouble here in the UK.
I wish they would update the sideclip so the tools will open from the outside and not lock.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 11:48:13 AM
My understanding is that the locking saw is enough to get you into trouble here in the UK.
I wish they would update the sideclip so the tools will open from the outside and not lock.

Really? Oh FFS... Are you sure? Heinnie's say it's UK-legal carry: http://www.heinnie.com/leatherman-rebar-edc

If a locking saw is out too, I'd have to look at other alternatives. I'd prefer a Leatherman tool for EDC (not on me, but in the bag I always have on my bike, which also contains puncture repair kit, tyres levers etc.), but if there is a risk the Knifeless Rebar is still not considered UK-legal carry, I'd have to look elsewhere e.g. I think the SOG multi-tools have user change-able blades, so could maybe swap out all knife blades (and saw, if it's a lockable one) for non-sharps e.g. file, flat screwdriver etc.
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 11:54:44 AM

Really? Oh FFS... Are you sure? Heinnie's say it's UK-legal carry: http://www.heinnie.com/leatherman-rebar-edc

If a locking saw is out too, I'd have to look at other alternatives. I'd prefer a Leatherman tool for EDC (not on me, but in the bag I always have on my bike, which also contains puncture repair kit, tyres levers etc.), but if there is a risk the Knifeless Rebar is still not considered UK-legal carry, I'd have to look elsewhere e.g. I think the SOG multi-tools have user change-able blades, so could maybe swap out all knife blades (and saw, if it's a lockable one) for non-sharps e.g. file, flat screwdriver etc.

My understanding is that anything can be classed as an offensive weapon, that being said as a middle aged white guy the chances of me being stopped are so remote I don't really worry about what I carry
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 12:53:43 PM

My understanding is that anything can be classed as an offensive weapon, that being said as a middle aged white guy the chances of me being stopped are so remote I don't really worry about what I carry

Ah, but that's different - you can be charged with having a pointy umbrella as an offensive weapon if you look as if you trying to stab someone with it, but locking knives are illegal to carry (not own) in a public place full stop, even if not waving them about, unless you can prove you have a very good reason to be carrying one (which I don't want to have the hassle of going through) - what I need to know is whether a locking saw falls into the same category as locking knives or not.

BTW if it makes any difference the Multitool will probably always be carried in a bag (usually on my bicycle) rather than in my pocket or attached to my belt, except when using it.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 06:32:03 PM
Think I may have found a Knifeless Fuse for sale, I might just go for that, as it has no locking saw or awl, so is definitely UK-legal carry! I still wouldn't try to take it through airport security, though!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: July 24, 2016, 07:15:55 AM
I hope you find something that will workout for you :cheers:

I wouldn't take anything to an airport knife/MT/hairspray etc :ahhh

They are crazy about that kind of stuff her in the US :facepalm:

Luckily knife laws aren't as bad here as they are they and I feel for ya :tu:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: October 01, 2016, 02:02:46 AM
Did anyone ever get a knife less Rebar? It's one of the "new" tools that hasn't popped up on here yet :think:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #39 on: October 01, 2016, 06:55:11 PM
Did anyone ever get a knife less Rebar? It's one of the "new" tools that hasn't popped up on here yet :think:

No, because I managed to find somewhere that still had new stock of the Knifeless Fuse, which I preferred due to non-clumping tools (they clump on the Rebar) and no locking awl or saw for UK Police to get excited about... Cost me more, though, as I bought it from a US store.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 08:06:15 PM

No, because I managed to find somewhere that still had new stock of the Knifeless Fuse, which I preferred due to non-clumping tools (they clump on the Rebar) and no locking awl or saw for UK Police to get excited about... Cost me more, though, as I bought it from a US store.

Mods your own MT  :multi: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Knifeless Rebar.jpg
* Knifeless Rebar.jpg (Filesize: 37.42 KB)

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: November 06, 2016, 03:53:28 PM
I did get one. I've had it for awhile now. I really wanted to see the order Leatherman put the tools in. There is a spacer on the file side. It's too small to put anything in its place. Although if they had removed the lanyard loop they could have put something there. I also feel they missed an opportunity to give the file some thickness. The saw I don't mind being as thin as it is. But the file is really flimsy. With the extra space they could've put the diamond file in or something :twak: At the end of the day, it's a Rebar. The only other full size knife less multi tool on the market (that I know of) is a Blade less mp600. So depending on what style you prefer this is a viable option if you rather have a folder and a multi tool with little overlap.

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: November 06, 2016, 03:59:05 PM
Did they have to notch the awl to make it go over the lock ramp :think:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: November 06, 2016, 04:18:59 PM
Doesn't look like it. It matches the same awl from the original Rebar

england Offline Kev D

Reply #44 on: November 07, 2016, 03:27:58 PM
I've carried mine everyday since the all rebar challenge. I pair mine with a sak, usually a vic pioneer.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: November 07, 2016, 05:45:36 PM
Doesn't look like it. It matches the same awl from the original Rebar

Just curious thanks  :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: November 07, 2016, 05:48:25 PM
I've carried mine everyday since the all rebar challenge. I pair mine with a sak, usually a vic pioneer.

It is a very great MT and I haven't carried mine as much since the challenge but I had it in my mind to carry a bunch of different tools after the challenge :D It will probably resume it's place as my main work EDC before long though :cheers: Still I have carried it more than any other MT even with mixing it up some :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%