Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kayak repair advice

eamo · 21 · 3253

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Kayak repair advice
on: September 17, 2016, 08:53:53 PM
Need some advice on kayak repair - I've been gifted what I think is a slalom kayak. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Anyhow, it seems pretty old but I think with a bit of TLC it'll be fine. Looks to be made of fibreglass and in a top and bottom section. Where the sections meet water is seeping in (actually, out, cos i filled it to see where - the guy who gifted it to me said it was leaking) - anyhow, anyone any suggestions what i can seal the hull with ? I'm thinking some kind of epoxy or resin but I usually get advice here for most of my projects :)

Second problem is the edge of the cockpit is quite rough, even a bit sharp in places, looks like it has been repaired before. Problem with that is my spraydeck will get ruined in a pretty short time and the spraydeck is probably worth more then the boat. So, anyone know if there is a kind of tape or something that could be put around the cockpit ?

Theres a few other problem i haven't even looked at yet, such as footrests, but i'm hoping this'll be an interesting project - as if i wasn't already busy enough.

And, of course, i need to do this on the cheap :)

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Kayak repair advice
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 10:45:20 PM

:think:  I’ve repaired fibreglass kitcars in the distant past with the fibreglass stuff from Halfords
I would look in to West system for boats for repairing the hull

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/category/117/west-system?gclid=Cj0KEQjw0_O-BRCfjsCw25CYzYoBEiQAqO9BDOpOet98u78kcK6spsBPbkKTtnrhJ5xeLHDIYPfs_DkaAp1Y8P8HAQ

(And they used to make a rubber U channel to cover the rough edges again for kitcars)
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 11:51:57 PM
Congratulations on getting a kayak!

I'll post some later when I get to a keyboard but I wanted to drop a quick note saying congratulations!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 03:45:34 AM
Also congrats on the kayak.

You could use 2 part epoxy used for boat building.  Make sure the surface is clean and dry.  To fill small gaps mix in some fine sawdust to get a consistency of peanut butter.

Keep in mind that epoxy exposed to uv light will degrade so cover it with paint or varnish when it is done.  You can use fibreglass cloth and epoxy for structural repairs. 

West system is excellent but there are lots of others.  If you check out the west system web site I believe they have PDFs versions of their epoxy works publication.  It is full of great repair ideas.

John

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 03:52:38 AM
This is the link for epoxy works
http://epoxyworks.com/

Note "fixing broken stuff" across the top.

John

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 11:13:50 AM
thanks guys, i'm really looking forward to getting it in the water. I'll get some phone pics up shortly, got a very important event happening this morning first - it's Kats and Security Stans leaving do. They should have left earlier in the week but work once again got in the way. (not complaining, i love my job)

Down the line, another problem i need suggestions for is it has no bulkheads but is quite a bit bigger then a river boat so is very heavy when it's full. And i will tip it, no doubt of that so i need ideas how to (again cheaply), put some kind of air bag in it - maybe empty 5l plastic water bottles wedged in or something, i dunno.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:28:31 AM by eamo »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 01:11:50 PM
There are lots of inflatable kayak bags available for just that reason.  I'd consider them a good investment as they will be very form fitting for your boat.

They are often used in damaged/leaking boats as they keep most of the water out.  And, depending on how ambitious you are, you cold make a couple of bulkheads and cut and install some hatch covers.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 02:07:44 PM
2 part epoxy should do well enough for the leak in the seam.

You could tidy the rough edge a bit, put some resin around it to create a non-fibrous edge of hell.
Put some pinch moulding around it, it looks good and will protect the edge of the GRP.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 02:26:20 PM
There are lots of inflatable kayak bags available for just that reason.  I'd consider them a good investment as they will be very form fitting for your boat.

They are often used in damaged/leaking boats as they keep most of the water out.  And, depending on how ambitious you are, you cold make a couple of bulkheads and cut and install some hatch covers.

Def

pictures are on the way - Grant, you mean something like these ?

http://www.nrs.com/product/42080/nrs-split-kayak-flotation

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 03:51:55 PM
finally, some pics - rough'n'ready but they'll have to do

Das Boot

the seams -

the cockpit

internal / footrests

for the seams, i am thinking of using this - http://www.captaintolley.com/ - i've had good success with it on a camper van. Advantage is I already have some.

Then perhaps taping the seams with this ? - http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/paints-body-repair/fillers-preparation/fixx-it-silicone-tape - i'm not so sure about this, though. It'd likely rub off with use.

the problem with getting some epoxy is how do i get it into the seams ?

2 part epoxy should do well enough for the leak in the seam.

You could tidy the rough edge a bit, put some resin around it to create a non-fibrous edge of hell.
Put some pinch moulding around it, it looks good and will protect the edge of the GRP.

So, you suggesting the pinch moulding for the hull or the cockpit ? If it was on really tight it'd work for the cockpit maybe ?

The west stuff looks good, but pricey by the time i pay shipping, and did i mention i want cheap ???

I need to go through all the suggestions later tonight. thanks SM, John, Sparky and Grant - some good ideas to get me thinking. and thats 1/2 the fun :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 12:51:34 PM
You can dip some paper strips in epoxy and feed it into/through the cracks and it will leave epoxy behind.

Most fiberglass, kevlar or carbon fiber boats will have a silicone or rubber strip around the seam on the outside.  It's usually referred to as a rub rail and there is a lot published about it online.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 09:56:15 PM
You can dip some paper strips in epoxy and feed it into/through the cracks and it will leave epoxy behind.

Most fiberglass, kevlar or carbon fiber boats will have a silicone or rubber strip around the seam on the outside.  It's usually referred to as a rub rail and there is a lot published about it online.

Def

thanks Grant :2tu: none of the cracks/holes are very big, so i'm thinking of using the capt tolleys stuff as i already have some, then i'm thinking a thin seam of epoxy and then i can cover the lot with some silicon sealant. It'll do the trick i reckon.

Any suggestions regarding the cockpit ? it's quite rough in places and I dont want to ruin my spraydeck.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 10:33:19 PM
For that I would consider getting some rubber tape, or maybe a silicone stretch and hold tape.  Pull it around the edging of the cockpit so it isn't quite as sharp.  Honestly, I would probably use whatever rubber type tape you get for a rub rail and use it there as well.  Or, you could get a small strip of rubber and use a waterproof tape to hold it over the edge. Rubber (or silicone) would be a good choice as it would actually protect the spraydeck and make it hold and seal better.

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 12:15:08 AM
 :popcorn:

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 25, 2022, 02:53:24 AM
I didn't want to make a new thread for this -

I've got a kayak with no front bulkhead, and the rear one leaks nicely, and am going to put some expanding foam in it, just a bit, to help with positive buoyancy when I am inevitably up the wrong way....

any tips or advice?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 25, 2022, 03:29:02 AM
Two bits of advice...

1- make sure to remove the old sealant before applying new.
2- try not to go the wrong way up.

:D

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 25, 2022, 04:03:51 AM
 No sealant - is polyethylene bucket.

Just thinking about a squirt or two of expanding foam in the bow and stern to give it a chance to resist becoming das boot....

Down here the water is pretty warm, so getting the sky the ground mixed up isn't necessarily life threatening, just awfully inconvenient.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: December 25, 2022, 04:21:04 AM
Are you thinking of river running? Lakes?  Ocean? Surfing?  Flat water?

What kind of boat did you get?

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 25, 2022, 04:29:18 AM
Are you thinking of river running? Lakes?  Ocean? Surfing?  Flat water?

Yes

Well probably not the ocean, maybe just off the coast between headlands.

What kind of boat did you get?

Def

Uh, an Exo "Manarola"

only 4m long, pretty basic, has a skeg that's about it but "does everything" - my other boats are pure flasmurfer (10' rec tub) and rapids (8.5' whitewater)
so this is my "tourer" for lack of a better word that I can still fit inside the van....

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 03:23:37 AM
That sounds like a great boat indeed. I'm not familiar with that brand and model but I'll be sure to look it up.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 04:55:06 AM
I think it might be italian, the brand seems more known for river boats than flasmurfer or tourers. There are no dealers that I can find locally....

https://exokayak.com/prodotto/manarola/

I picked it up second hand, I asked the guy where he got it, I'm pretty sure he lied to me (said he got it from a local shop), I reckon he got it second hand as well. Stamps on it indicate 2008 build.....

Anyway, I dumped a can of urethane based (supposedly water resistant...) expanding foam into the bow. I guess I'll find out how well that works next time the water gets the better of me....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%