Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Book

tosh · 13 · 1027

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
A Book
on: December 18, 2016, 09:08:41 AM
In my absence from the forum, I decided to focus on recording my sons obsession with football....I hate the sport with a passion that far exceeds his love of it!

But, after flatly refusing to go to his club where he plays - for a full season! I realised I was missing photos for the album. My partner and all the other mums would take snaps with their smartphones - however the time lag and limited zoom rendered most pretty uninspiring.

So I went this year. Managed to get some pretty amazing action shots, other parents asked me to photograph their child playing too.....it's finally ended up that I'm now the main snapper every other weekend. On average I shoot 6-700 pictures per Sunday match, then edit them down to around 300. The club manager then puts them all on Facebook.

So, I've began thinking of creating a photo book of my sons club - a annual if you like.

But it's also been lurking in my mind for years to produce one on Multitools. Has anyone here done anything similar.

The cost of producing books is very reasonable today and would ensure the whole collection was archived too.

In my minds eye I sees big thick slab coffee table sized tome with deep lustrous paper for the photos. It would be incredible if I could include a thumbnail of the official marketing ads at the time each multitool was released.
Originally I was going to do a kind of mini encyclopaedia, but as of lately I'm becoming more drawn to the idea of a book for each brand.

I've already ruled out SAKs - there are simply too many and too many versions to contend with.
A 3 volume classics from LM, Gerber and SOG would be fun and should be fairly straightforward.....EEK!
My utter obsession with Wenger Rangers will ensure that they get a title to themselves.

Has anyone here given this topic some thought? I doubt for a second I'm the only one who's dreamed of this.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:11:46 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: A Book
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 11:27:54 AM
This topic has come up from time to time. I think I even gave permission for the last person (I can't remember who) to use my photographs if he needed to. Nothing came of it...or at least that I know.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 11:51:08 AM
I'm sure that this could be a project to keep you occupied for years, particularly if you wanted to get decent photos of most of the variants of the different models.  I say most (not all) because it would likely be a never-ending task to document all the different variants that were made of the more popular MTs.  I know every now and then I still find out about variants that I didn't know existed (and then there are the prototypes and pre-production examples to catalogue)

Maybe it would help you feel better about your collection ?

I think one of our members from Russia collected a whole lot of PST photos which he was considering offering as a coffee table book (or tome).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 02:06:36 PM
I have thought about this. I've spent the last six summers hunting/photographing dragonflies, over 35,000 pics all. I would like to have a book with all species occurring near where I live, with pics of males and females, and a distribution map. Of course, books like this exist already so the problem is not how to make the book but how to make it a book unlike the others.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 02:20:56 PM
What about an anual overview?
Showing what multitool came out this year, with a review and alot of pics.

That way it doesn't absord a huge amount of time, and returns every year.
It works on cars so...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 02:57:08 PM
True, but there is also usually more than 6-10 cars released every year.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 03:14:12 PM
I have thought about this. I've spent the last six summers hunting/photographing dragonflies, over 35,000 pics all. I would like to have a book with all species occurring near where I live, with pics of males and females, and a distribution map. Of course, books like this exist already so the problem is not how to make the book but how to make it a book unlike the others.

35,000!! Are you serious?? That's an amazing feat I have to say.
I've just returned to photography and purchased a fair bit of modern kit. The canon 100mm L macro plus a couple of 270 EXII flash guns and the ST E2 transmitter, I'm currently experimenting with various lighting set ups...I'm certain you could offer me some valuable tips. It's a fascinating subject. Have you seen the Laowa 15mm macro lens? It's incredible in that it can fill the frame with the subject whilst at the sametime show detail in the background. It would be a fabulous lens for dragonflies.

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 04:49:22 PM

I've just returned to photography and purchased a fair bit of modern kit. The canon 100mm L macro plus a couple of 270 EXII flash guns and the ST E2 transmitter, I'm currently experimenting with various lighting set ups...I'm certain you could offer me some valuable tips. It's a fascinating subject. Have you seen the Laowa 15mm macro lens? It's incredible in that it can fill the frame with the subject whilst at the sametime show detail in the background. It would be a fabulous lens for dragonflies.
I'm not using any specialized macro equipment. I'm using a supercompact camera which will make adequate pics from 2-4 meters distance. Some examples of the pics I make are here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57772.msg1351141.html#msg1351141.

PS Many of the 35,000 pics are quite bad!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:53:16 PM by Ronald Schröder »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 04:50:47 PM
True, but there is also usually more than 6-10 cars released every year.

Def
True as well, but that means you don't have much different tools to talk about.
You can give alot of attention to thz details and end with a side by side comparrison.
Given the fact that the pagecount would be relativaly low, the cost would be as well.
Therefore alot of peeps here would be interested ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 04:58:58 PM

I'm not using any specialized macro equipment. I'm using a supercompact camera which will make adequate pics from 2-4 meters distance. Some examples of the pics I make are here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57772.msg1351141.html#msg1351141.

PS Many of the 35,000 pics are quite bad!

Pretty impressive.  What a wonderful hobby.  I am not a photographer in that I dont own a dedicated camera.  I find that 1. I rarely if ever look at photos of mine and 2. I take horrible photos not worth going back to look at  :rofl:.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 05:00:35 PM
@ Tosh

Glad you went out to your sons games especially since you've become team photographer.  He'll cherish all the photos as will you in later years. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Online Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 05:29:21 PM
Here's one I made for MTo exclusively:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 06:09:56 PM
@ Tosh

Glad you went out to your sons games especially since you've become team photographer.  He'll cherish all the photos as will you in later years.

Thanks Aloha
I regret not going sooner. This is his 2nd year and it's a jolt to the heart to see that both he and all his friends are losing their "Little boy" looks. Although I have hundreds of family pics with him I now really regret not taking the soccer shots last year.....But then again last year I was just completely obsessed by bloody multitools. It was all that occupied my mind most of the time - hence why I took time out.
But, back to the book..... This is going to be a one off really I may (if I get it done) have 3 copies printed off. I only intend to use the models I actually own. My reasons are twofold in that it will hopefully contain the collection but also act as an inventory too.
As I mentioned earlier I'm staying with the classics and need to know if I need permission to use the official marketing ads as thumbnails besides each model I include. Possibly dates and variations of production too.
If I can pull this off, I intend to auction off a copy of each book I'm hoping it could raise enough to part cover the whole expense...It would be unique - a book just on multitools.

Imagine that  :o

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%