Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thinking old school for EDC..anybody else?

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Thinking old school for EDC..anybody else?
on: February 02, 2007, 08:24:47 PM
Warm weather will come back..I hope.And among other things I've thought of an EDC combo that would work for my needs...and the answer for me is the Vic Farmer,and the LM PST II.Yep the PST II has been overtaken by newer,better models,but it has the virtue of being low profile,pocket friendly(my pockets anyway).Teamed with the Farmer,and whatever is on my keyring..I feel confident I could tackle the great majority of tasks that would crop up.
 Anybody else out there thinking along the same lines?
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Thinking old school for EDC..anybody else?
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 09:09:15 PM
I like the old school models from a collectable point of view, but in my mind there was a reason many of them have been left in the dust by newer tools.  It's evolutionary to me, and I know that the tools I carry and use now will be improved on eventually too.

Of course, that doesn't keep me from hitching up one of the old horses now and then!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:41:23 PM
I agree,there's bunchses of multis that are best left in the dust...but however one feels about Tim Leatherman's politics..he pretty much nailed it the first time around with the PST(and PST II),and still worthy of of EDC usage. I wouldn't be surprised to see the PST in a museum alongside the SAK as models of design and function.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 11:13:43 PM
That is possible, but let's remember that Tim Leatherman isn't only responsable for the current generation of multitools, but he also defined what was wrong with the current generation of multitools as well.  These issues (uncomfortable handles, tool clumping, non locking tools etc) have since been remedied by various manufacturers, including Leatherman.  As with the first of anything, there are bugs that need to be worked out.

As for Tim Leatherman's political views, I really don't see how they should make a difference either.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 03:01:29 AM
The simple Leatherman PST and original SuperTool served me well for several years and they still can.  They haven't rusted and look to me like they were built better than the latest generation of Leatherman tools. 

The screwdrivers are are right-sized and work better for me than the SOG PowerLock and Victorinox tools.  They have 3 sizes of flat blade screwdrivers which can access recessed screws.  The screwdrivers are not compromised by combining them with a can or bottle opener.   The Phillips blade grabs screws better than the Vics. 

Overall, the old Leatherman tools' function to size ratio is impressive.  That said, the individual blades in newer tools like the Victorinox SwissTool and Spirit are easier to access and easier to lock.   

I may be carrying the newer Vics these days, I'll keep the old Leatherman tools forever.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 03:18:48 AM
The screwdrivers are not compromised by combining them with a can or bottle opener.

See now that's fascinating, because I like having multiple uses in each implement. 

Def

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 04:21:43 AM
The screwdrivers are not compromised by combining them with a can or bottle opener.

See now that's fascinating, because I like having multiple uses in each implement. 

Def

The multi purpose screwdriver/can opener and screwdriver/bottle opener blades on my SOG PowerLock, for example, require ginormous clearance and cannot access deeply recessed screws like the Leatherman PST and SuperTool screwdrivers.

In the past 18 years, I cannot recall ever needing a can opener or bottle opener blade on a multitool, but I use the screwdrivers often.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 04:50:36 AM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 06:14:22 AM
Bison, nothin' wrong with old school. My favorite multi is the SOG Powerlock. I don't edc it though. Too much weight combined with the other tools I carry.  My favorite EDC Leatherman is still the Pulse model. Only slightly larger and heavier than the PST with rounded handles and blade, tool locks. I prefer it to the Wave and current models. As long as the tool works for you, and you are comfortable with it, that is all that matters. My brother carries a battered LM Sideclip and refuses to part with it. As he proclaims, "Everything I need and nothing I never use". The PST is still a remarkable tool.
"

Offline Cheviot

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 12:07:01 PM

Def

That fact along with the lack of true needlenose pliers is all thats preventing me getting a Swisstool Spirit, in theory multiple uses are great, the chisel/wire scraper etc.. but a screwdriver need to turn screws first and foremost and combined with a bottle opener just comprises its first function.

As for Old School EDC its LM Sideclip all the way for me, although I have just had a pretty major career change which means I can get away with it's limited tools, in my previous role it had to be a supertool 200 (old school?) or a Core.

Rob
S

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 04:56:18 PM

That fact along with the lack of true needlenose pliers is all thats preventing me getting a Swisstool Spirit, in theory multiple uses are great, the chisel/wire scraper etc.. but a screwdriver need to turn screws first and foremost and combined with a bottle opener just comprises its first function.

Rob

Rob,

Don't let that stop you from getting a Spirit.  At least play with one at a store.  The fit & finish & the precise engineering is a marvel in the hand.  It's addictive.

Tom

Offline Cheviot

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 07:43:19 PM
Don't let that stop you from getting a Spirit.  At least play with one at a store.  The fit & finish & the precise engineering is a marvel in the hand.  It's addictive.

Tom,

I have a Swisstool so I know about its qualities.
I know its against the general ethos but I can't justify a Spirit for fiddle factor alone.

Rob
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 09:12:06 PM
I'm thinking we need to develope a fiddle factor formula rating for all future multitool reviews.   :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 09:18:52 PM

I have a Swisstool so I know about its qualities.

Play with a Spirit too.  There is even more sensuality in the design & feel in the hand than the SwissTool.  That justifies it for me. ;)

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 03:22:46 AM
Mmmmmm.... sensuality.........  :laugh:

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 05:03:33 AM
A bit unsettling...  :-\
"

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 07:25:53 AM
Sorry, boys.  The sweet caress of the smooth steel & the solid action of the sure locks & detent stops is nothing short of sensual for me.  I'm not ashamed to admit it.  It's like the smell & texture of a fine grade of leather or the aroma of a seasoned sizzling steak.  Ahhh...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 08:29:17 PM
Sorry, boys.  The sweet caress of the smooth steel & the solid action of the sure locks & detent stops is nothing short of sensual for me.  I'm not ashamed to admit it.  It's like the smell & texture of a fine grade of leather or the aroma of a seasoned sizzling steak.  Ahhh...

I'm feeling all flushed and tingly just thinking about it! Tom, I think you've got the makings of your first hit single here. Finish out the lyrics, add a twist or two about how jealous your Leatherman's get when you fondle your SwissTool, put a light melody in the background, and you'll be on top of the country charts in no time!
 :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 08:31:43 PM
Uh huh.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 05:01:48 PM
I'm thinking we need to develope a fiddle factor formula rating for all future multitool reviews.   :)

I think your on to something there. The F3 may be hard to pin down and define but it may be an interesting thing to work on and see how it developes.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 10:26:39 PM
On a more serious note and to get back on topic. I find myself carrying the LM Pulse or SOG P3 paired with a farmer quite often. At work I carry an LM Super Tool alot. Alot of MT`s rotate through my EDC between work and home. I find alot of old school MT`s being carried. I even carried an old SOG Power Plier the other day.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 02:22:56 AM
My current pocket stuffers are a Vic OHT & LM Kick

ignoring the saw, since I don't use it - The main benefit this selection has over a Soldier and a PST is convenience and comfort. Locking,OHO blade on the OHT, and zytel on the LM.

On the other hand, both of them are bulkier (an issue for me with my dainty appendages), less handsome, and to a degree, less satisfying to use, but I carry them anyway...cause I can?

(or because I'm more willing to damage or lose them)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%