Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A peek inside my old computer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
A peek inside my old computer.
on: March 01, 2020, 12:47:26 PM
As some of you already know, i bought this pre-built system back in 2013. it is a Republic of Gamer Asus Tytan G30AB. I found this system at the local Staples on sale, and at the time, I couldn't come close to building a system for the same price. It features an Intel i7 4770K CPU along with an Invidia GTX 770 graphics card. 16 Gb of RAM came along with the system. For storage needs, a 240Gb SSD and a 3 Tb HD  rounded out the system. For these past year, I never had to open the system. it truly was my longest and best desktop system I have ever known. I think it was the best decision I made in regards to computers. As it stands, this still working system will be going upstairs and semi retired into being a backup PC. It has truly earned this rest.

With that said, I was curious to break open the warranty sticker and see wheat 7 years of everyday use looks like dust wise. I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought. There were also a few surprises in store for me. One of them not much of a surprise as I did a review on the system while researching for my current build, and came across a shocking fact that I was rocking water cooling all these years and never knew it.

Here is the side panel off. I can't tell you how liberating it was to tear apart that case seal. When I first got the system, I wanted so much to do just that but never did for fear of voiding my warranty. Over time, I forgot about looking inside. That day ended this morning lol.

IMG_8246A by Chako, on Flickr

I was thinking there would be more dust in here.  :think:

IMG_8248A by Chako, on Flickr

An Asetek single AIO was used to cool of the processor all these years with nary an issue. Impressive. When I found out that I was water cooling this computer all along, It gave me confidence to water cool my current PC.

IMG_8249A by Chako, on Flickr

A look at the back of the Asus ROG Tytan G30AB.

IMG_8253A by Chako, on Flickr

Here is the system after I used a bit of canned air. Although at first I thought there wasn't all that much dust, you should have seen the cloud of it while using the canned air.

IMG_8254A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8256A by Chako, on Flickr

Another surprise, there was no front fan in the case. There is a big air intake on the bottom of the front panel. I always assumed there was a fan pulling in air there. i was wrong. That spot was left empty.

The parts inside this system do not look all that great, including the motherboard. But then, there was no case window to showcase them either. A great computer. I hope my current rig will last as long.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 01:56:27 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: A peek inside my old computer.
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 03:17:56 PM
That spec is not all that old or worn, heck I'd be happy with that system today!  :cheers:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 07:34:55 PM
Sealed PCs are an excuse to fail sooner IMHO, some dust removal on a regular basis will only extend the life of the components.

you should see some of the dust bunnies I've cleaned out from between a fan and heatsink or even the case...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 03:26:57 AM
I bet. A buddy of mine owned a computer shop. He showed me a few bad cases. I was expecting something along those lines when I opened my computer.

us Online cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 04:17:30 AM
For a 7 year old PC --it looks new inside!

Mine looks like a snowy mess inside. I'm gonna have to open it up and clean it out. Besides, it's out of warranty. And even if it isn't--I don't really care anymore.  I've got to replace some thermal paste on both it, and my laptop. My laptop gets scorching hot to the touch when it's doing heavy work. That's the tough part. But, at least my laptop is sectioned out to where each major part (processor, WLAN, RAM) have covers that unscrew to access just that part.  And, at least my desktop's getting some upgrades--I'm definitely upgrading the cooling, power supply, and RAM. Not too crazy about its i5 processor, but I see lots of gaming builds that use them. I bought a new desktop, only to have RAM that failed on day one. Should have returned it. But, I'll fix that myself and double the RAM.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 09:36:45 AM
my desktop at home is similarly spec'd to Chako's old PC, i7-2600, 16gb ram, nvidia GTX 960, 256gb SSD(ubuntu/primaryOS), 128gb SSD(win10), 2x500gb SATA storage.

It's no slouch, but getting a new laptop for while I'm working away from home was essential, and I'm very happy with my i7-9750H, 16gb ram, Geforce GTX 1650, 256gb SSD NVME, 1TB SATA storage, but totally miss my desktop regardless...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 12:10:39 PM
If I may ask, what did you pay for these desktops back in the day?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 12:53:13 PM
That is a heck of a lot cleaner than I was expecting!

I've got a similar aged Dell that I use for various things and to be honest I'm scared to look inside in case it's developed it's own lifeforms  :ahhh :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:01:16 PM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 01:29:29 PM
I think I paid around $1400 Canadian back in 2013.

Here is the original link...

[https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,49063.0.html]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 01:39:57 PM
Cool. :tu:
We're thinking about a homebuilt desktop around that price range.
Amazing how tech has gotten cheaper, at that price I can have 16gb of ram, a RTX2060 and a 6 core i5 or 8 core Ryzen. :o
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21