Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Do you feel ucomfortable / unhappy buying from the Delemont range ? 2506

Jr. Member Posts: 95
Re: Do you feel ucomfortable / unhappy buying from the Delemont range ?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2021, 09:53:14 AM »
I have both the Evolution S17 and Huntsman, and while both knives have a similar complement of tools and the utility are on par, the S17 for me with the locking blade is a safer and more useable knife than the non locking Huntsman.  With the Huntsman I have to always be mindful of the folding blade, whereas with the S17, I can use the blade freely with confidence.  The larger Victorinox with locking blades are an option, but are much bigger so would not make a good EDC for me.  The S17 is perfect, and being an 85 mm vs the 91 mm of the Huntsman is a lot more compact and lighter.  The S17 is slightly wider because of it's ergonomic grips, but significantly shorter and more compact than the Huntsman.  For me the Evolution (Delemont collection) S17 with it's locking main blade, and auto locking bottle opener/flat head and more compact profile is a more refined knife than the Victorinox Huntsman.

I have the Evolution S101 and the Spartan, and the S101 is much preferred for the same reasons as the S17, the locking main blade, auto locking bottle opener/flat head screwdriver, and more compact and lighter profile.  The locking lever on the S17 and S101 is perfectly placed to enable one handed closure as there is a confident half stop when you close the blade, so you can move your thumb out of the way, and then close the blade with your index finger.   The placement of the locking lever don't bother me at all.  You get use to it as it tucks conveniently between my fingers.  Those ergonomic scales have really grown on me, and love the feel of it in my hands over the plain flat scales.  While the Wenger style scissors work fine, I do prefer the more robust Victorinox scissors and wish in the future, Victorinox would just include the Victorinox style scissors in all Delemont collection knives. 

The Delemont collection Evolution S17 and S101, for all the reasons I mentioned here, are more refined than their Victorinox Huntsman and Spartan counterparts in my opinion, and hence I prefer the Delemont collection more.  I don't know about the other models. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 10:20:02 AM by maxdog »
Jr. Member Posts: 95
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2021, 10:05:31 AM »
Jr. Member Posts: 85
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2021, 10:41:02 AM »
Bring back the Pocket Tool Chest and i'd buy one but otherwise probably not
Full Member Posts: 141
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2021, 03:32:06 PM »
I asked myself this question recently, about a rangergrip 68 !
I'm really tempted by some of their models, but I also feel like something is off, like it's not the "real" deal.
But this feeling is slowly fading the more I look at them  :whistle:
No Life Club Posts: 3,215
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2021, 06:49:50 PM »
Can’t say I’m ‘unhappy’, because I’ve never bought one of those new.

Forgot I did buy the Ranger Grip 71 (two actually) new. Not sure if those are made in Delèmont or not. I think the tang is Victorinox  :think: :dunno: 

But can’t say I’m happy with it. Main blade is great and no complaints there. Wood saw is fine and looks like it’s the same grind as Victorinox saws, but with 5 (?) more teeth than the 111mm. That only leaves my dislike for the scissors/shears which are too light duty for the space they take up. They don’t hold up well or cut well on soft wood and even ‘pithy’ stems. Better steel and maybe a hook profile would help for my intended use. Or maybe a different grind on the active blade would work. Might actually try to mod it that way while I’m thinking out loud.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2021, 06:54:25 PM »
I asked myself this question recently, about a rangergrip 68 !
I'm really tempted by some of their models, but I also feel like something is off, like it's not the "real" deal.
But this feeling is slowly fading the more I look at them  :whistle:

Well said. That was my issue, but as I buy more of the vintage ones with ‘quirky’ features and various creative ‘construction’ details, the more that feeling has faded for me.

I’ve gotten a used S18 that I want to directly compare to a 1973 Craftsman in my EDC rotation, but I also want to get an older Wenger with the flat scales for a more ‘fair’ comparison.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2021, 08:40:34 PM »
The S18 looks neat !!  :cheers:
So many SAKs to get, yet so few dolla' bills...  :dwts:
No Life Club Posts: 2,385
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2021, 09:38:57 PM »
So many SAKs to get, yet so few dolla' bills...
I'm paddling the same boat.

Enough multi-tools? Ain't no such thing as enough multi-tools!
Newbie Posts: 13
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2021, 03:17:17 AM »
I am not sure about the added value of the of the smaller Evolution models. Sure the slightly different tools are nice for enthousiasts and collectors and it's also nice they are trying to do something with the Wenger legacy, but there is already a huge selection of SAK's in the 80-90 mm length range so do they really offer something distinctive? The pliers are better, the scissors are worse, the scales look nicer (in my opinion) but they are thicker. So in general they are not worse but they are also not better (again, in my opinion)

The 130 mm Rangergrip models on the other hand I am a huge fan off. Especially since victorinox does not offer similair models. I have always been a fan of the bigger 111mm knives but when I got my hands on a RangerGrip, the design and general appereance of the Knife just looks much more elegant. I find the 111 mm Victorniox models look a bit silly and bulky now that I've gotten used to my Rangergrip. The additional lenght and the two component scales make the design just more slim and balanced. Also the one hand opening for the Knife just looks more sturdy then on the 111mm models.

So the 130 mm models are definitly my favorite victorinox models, despite them being former wenger models. I've only have 2 complaints about them;
- First of all they are quite expensive and they have some rubbish models. Because of cost savings they fitted the metal parts of all Rangergrip models with the hex driver on the side but they didn't cut it out on the scales of all models. So you can actually buy a Ranger Grip 74 or a 35 euro more expensive Ranger Grip 174 and the only difference will be that they cut out the plastic scale. This is not really a scam but it feels unnessary and wasteful, just feature all of them with a hex driver as a standard feature.
- Secondly I find that the 130 mm models have a very limited choice of tools. basically you only have knife, wood saw, can opener, bottle opener, awl, corkscrew and philips screwdriver and optional/expesive oversided scissors/pliers. It's a shame because with a 130 mm length you could offer a lot / ton of tools without making the knive too thick/bulky, which is a n issue for smaller Victorinox knives that are simply too thick and do not handle well.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,805 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2021, 03:34:29 AM »
Just got a Victorinox Cigar 36 in today. I have always liked the Wenger cigar cutter, even though I do not smoke.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,094 Bon Journee!!
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2021, 05:55:00 AM »
I definitely agree about those springs Kamakiri.  I will say that they've done wonders with the larger Delemonts.  I have several Wengers and that back spring was always a weakness.

Barry
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,805 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2021, 12:03:54 PM »
 :iagree:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2021, 08:16:03 PM »
[...]

I do agree with you on the 130mm models, they do lack in tools configuration offerings. Probably because it would need brand new tool sizes, and it's not profitable for them to make them ? And the hex scale thingie is also meh, they could indeed offer it on every models.
I really want to get one to try them out !  :ahhh

As for the evo models, I think it's mostly to keep some of Wenger old offerings, and to have an alternative to 91mm Vics.
Add to that their locking blade feature that Vics don't have !
Hero Member Posts: 857
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2022, 08:51:55 PM »
I took out my Evolution Wood 14 out for a fondle the other day, and even took it for its first pocket ride yesterday. It was just as well as I needed it to cut steak at a dinner out.

I prefer the Wenger blade shape over Vic’s and like the feel of the scales. The width and contouring improve my handling comfort. (I like extra width of the Camper over the Spartan for a similar reason.) The knife carries comfortably in my jeans watch pocket.

The only thing I don’t like is the keyring nub. It digs into my palm and has to go!

Rambler
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2022, 09:00:47 PM »
[Deleted]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 09:17:47 PM by Sawl Goodman »

Rambler
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2022, 11:57:28 PM »
I too, like the shape of the main blade. But with the S18 I sharpened today, I found that the original grind was tilted about 5°- 6° or so. On the Sharpmaker using the sharpie method to match the existing angles, if I plumbed the blade, flat contact was closer to the 40° on the left and 30° setting (less than actually - steeper) on the right. Crazy. Vics aren’t perfectly vertical or symmetrical (as much as a crinked blade can be anyway) but I’d expect half or less than that from any Vic grind.  :dunno:

I normally like the original grinds and cutting performance on the Wengers and this was a bit of a surprise. No big deal to me though. Just an observation and it push cuts just fine now.

Sr. Member Posts: 355 Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2022, 04:17:37 PM »
Well, I finally started on my list and got a standard red Delémont S557 from Victorinox earlier this week.
So far it's been the usual findings regarding naff scissors, curve-edges of scales, lack of hook and straight pin, stiff toolsprings and so on. The lock lever tab placement isn't as bad as I feared, even for my large hands, but I can think of better ways to implement it.
One thing that surprised me is that the blade was not sharp enough to slice paper. Took me a good 10 minutes of gentle work on the Worksharp to get it where it should have been.

I don't feel uncomfortable or unhappy about buying this, but rather somewhat glad as it means people like me can still quite readily experience most of the Wenger character that went into their knives. I feel I am missing some of the atmosphere and nuance of a genuine Wenger, especially with the 80s styling they had at one point... but I miss it in the same historic way I might look at Dippy and miss not having genuine sauropods still walking around, if that makes sense?
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,199 Τετραφάρμακος
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2022, 05:28:56 PM »
The saw, the line of the blades and the style.

That's why I prefer the Rangers to their almost original Vixtorinox equivalents. 8)
Exactly. 130mm Wengers rock. 64mm is also good. For the rest I prefer the original over the genuine.

Στάλθηκε από το MAR-LX1A μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Newbie Posts: 45
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2022, 08:25:24 PM »
I have an S101 and a Nail Clip 580.  Both are useful and I like them. The scissor on the nail clip is excellent.  I have yet to try the bigger scissors.  The lock blade takes some getting used to but is a nice capability to have. I have been eyeing some of the other 2 layer delemonts, such as Evolution 10 and 11 which have a nail file instead of a small blade, being a guitar player and always on the lookout for thinner knives with nail files.  The contoured scales are a bit thick but I guess you get used to them.
Newbie Posts: 23

tm3 00

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2022, 03:18:44 PM »
I picked up an Evo14 as my SAK entry even though I had heard that the scissors are not as good as the Victorinox.

So far I really like it -- so much so that it may not get displaced as my EDC.  The scissors work fine for me, I really like having the file,  I use the awl much more than I expected, and it weighs under 3 oz.

I don't know of a Victorinox model that has the same features.
Newbie Posts: 45
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2022, 09:57:47 PM »
I picked up an Evo14 as my SAK entry even though I had heard that the scissors are not as good as the Victorinox.

So far I really like it -- so much so that it may not get displaced as my EDC.  The scissors work fine for me, I really like having the file,  I use the awl much more than I expected, and it weighs under 3 oz.

It's pretty similar to a Climber except for the file/small blade, wenger style scissors, and scales (and 85 vs 91).  I guess you are right it is pretty unique because the 84mm Vics don't have scissors.
Sr. Member Posts: 355 Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2022, 10:16:33 PM »
  It's pretty similar to a Climber except for the file/small blade, wenger style scissors, and scales (and 85 vs 91).  I guess you are right it is pretty unique because the 84mm Vics don't have scissors.
Don't forget the mighty multi-purpose hook!!
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2022, 12:00:28 AM »

It’s basically a Sportsman with scissors. Even though it’s thicker than a Climber it pockets better & feels nicer to hold. The thicker back scale mitigates the feel of the corkscrew in your palm. I love my Evowood 14.

Don't forget the mighty multi-purpose hook!!

Just one reason to always have a Swisschamp in your bag.  ;)

Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $119.88
PayPal Fees: $7.45
Net Balance: $112.43
Below Goal: $187.57
Site Currency: USD