Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs & Snacks

Sneider · 572 · 34202

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: SAKs & Snacks
Reply #300 on: February 17, 2020, 03:47:19 PM
Don't have breakfast every day?!?   ??? :-[ :-\ :cry: :ahhh :dwts: :sa:

No sir!  On most days my first (and last) meal is dinner.

I'm making breakfast tomorrow just for you. 

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #301 on: February 17, 2020, 04:09:21 PM
I too, never used to eat breakfast. Only on the weekends. That changed when I became a diabetic. In order not to take a shot or a pill, I had to change my eating habits100%. No sugar and had to start eating, breakfast every day! Went from 210 to 175 and have maintained it. For about 5 years now. By giving up sugar, food tastes a whole lot better!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #302 on: February 17, 2020, 08:06:43 PM
I am not usually hungry in the morning.  I wake typically about 5am and am hungry about 10am.  I guess for most that can still be considered breakfast.  I'll have something like oatmeal if I am off but on a work day I'll have fruit and granola.  Light lunch if I have lunch and dinner.
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #303 on: February 17, 2020, 08:13:45 PM
Amazing!  :o I would really suffer if I could only eat something in the evening. (Please do not understand it as a criticism, everyone should eat what and how they like it)

@ElevenBlade: I am honored, but please have breakfast for you too.  ;)

@Rapidray. Healthy eating is a huge issue. I was a candidate for diabetes! My doctor asked me whether I am providing for old age financially. When I answered yes, he laughed out loud and said it was a waste of money! With my lifestyle, I wouldn't experience my retirement anyway! That's when I woke up.
For a couple of years now I have been eating at least 80% food that is fresh, has no list of ingredients and contains no sugar or white flour. And I'm fine with it.

My dessert snack today - of course with a SAK.
Ripe grapefruit. Delicious!

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #304 on: February 17, 2020, 10:17:24 PM
Amazing!  :o I would really suffer if I could only eat something in the evening. (Please do not understand it as a criticism, everyone should eat what and how they like it)

@Rapidray. Healthy eating is a huge issue. I was a candidate for diabetes! My doctor asked me whether I am providing for old age financially. When I answered yes, he laughed out loud and said it was a waste of money! With my lifestyle, I wouldn't experience my retirement anyway! That's when I woke up.
For a couple of years now I have been eating at least 80% food that is fresh, has no list of ingredients and contains no sugar or white flour. And I'm fine with it.

My dessert snack today - of course with a SAK.
Ripe grapefruit. Delicious!
I liked your doctors beating around the bush!  :rofl:
 :iagree: Giving up sugar is 90% of the battle and it can be done!

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #305 on: February 18, 2020, 01:19:51 AM
Had to give up (processed) sugar too for medical reasons. My stomach cannot process much of it anymore without serious complications. Since then my wife and I have changed our eating habits completely. It was hard at first, but so worth it. Lots of fresh stuff and we almost never go out to eat. We also do regular workouts and have never felt better or more energetic.

I could not exist without breakfast. I wake up and I am hungry like a bear  :D I also have a very fast metabolism. They tested me once. If I wouldn‘t do anything but lay in bed all day and breath, I would need about 2500 calories just to stay alive. My wife is the opposite, hers is very slow, and she hates the fact that I can loose weight really fast if need be  :rofl:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #306 on: February 18, 2020, 06:53:48 AM
@SirVicaLot  :salute:

Todays breakfast
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #307 on: February 18, 2020, 02:11:46 PM
Oh yeah  :like: :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #308 on: February 18, 2020, 03:03:20 PM

Todays breakfast
(Image removed from quote.)

That looks very good  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #309 on: February 18, 2020, 03:06:33 PM
 :iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #310 on: February 19, 2020, 12:56:30 AM

@ElevenBlade: I am honored, but please have breakfast for you too.  ;)

My breakfast with my SAK.  Its a small roll with egg, cheese and ham. 
IMG_2603.jpg
* IMG_2603.jpg (Filesize: 52.42 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #311 on: February 19, 2020, 01:07:47 AM
Looks great  :drool:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #312 on: February 19, 2020, 01:59:01 AM

Todays breakfast

that looks great!

I don't normally like the pocket wear pattern on Alox (including my own plain Alox), but yours looks really nice. 

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #313 on: February 19, 2020, 08:24:43 PM

Thank you for the picture. Looks delicious.  :drool: A kind of sandwich? Or does it have a special name? And a soldier is always great. With your year?

that looks great!

I don't normally like the pocket wear pattern on Alox (including my own plain Alox), but yours looks really nice. 

Thanks. This is my new work knife. With the scales of my old work knife. Reminds me of intense years.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #314 on: February 19, 2020, 11:17:38 PM
Thank you for the picture. Looks delicious.  :drool: A kind of sandwich? Or does it have a special name? And a soldier is always great. With your year?

Thanks. This is my new work knife. With the scales of my old work knife. Reminds me of intense years.

Glad you like it.

In this part of the urban-suburban US, it's common to buy an egg and (American) cheese sandwich with bacon or sausage (or in my slightly healthier case, lean ham) from a quick-order restaurant in the morning on the way to work if you don't have the time or inclination to make your own breakfast.  It's quick, filling and easily portable.  Most importantly it's consistent - there's not much variety to it.  That's part of the appeal I suppose - its hard to mess up.  That has worked its way into people's home lives, and I make it myself at home once in a long while when I get nostalgic.

My friends in the US will know that my post on Feb 16, was embellished for comedic purposes, but there's a lot of truth to it.  We seem to have a habit of closed sandwiches, to a fault.  Watch the first 20 seconds of this video to see what I mean, and watch the rest to learn something interesting.   

My soldier is a 2005 - the year doesn't bear any real significance except for what I make of it.  (I'm sure we can all come up with something that makes each year "significant")  I first saw an Alox in about 2006, and was intrigued, but didn't know what it was.  In 2007 I made the full circle back to the SAKs of my youth, and had my eye on the Spartan Lite (I seem to remember) for an EDC that would be slimmer than the Champion.  I actually walked past the Spartan Lite every day for a couple of months, displayed in a shop window.  When I finally decided to buy one, I saw the Alox Soldier on the shelf, and bought that without even a second of deliberation.   :drink:  The funny thing is - If I actually had the 2005 Soldier in 2005, it would actually have the significance I artificially attach to it, but for quite a different reason. 

I've been thinking of retiring it from my EDC lineup lately, and carrying the Pioneer X in its stead.  But I get nostalgic. 

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #315 on: February 20, 2020, 01:17:54 AM
I love Scho-ka-kola!
IMG_20200219_161441.jpg
* IMG_20200219_161441.jpg (Filesize: 136.71 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #316 on: February 20, 2020, 07:07:32 AM
Elevenblade: Thank you for the info. Now I've learned a lot about your breakfast culture. For many years I didn't take the time to have breakfast at home. If there was such a breakfast in my city in the fast food restaurant, I would have used it too. Today I take an hour each morning to start the day with my family. It has become a ritual and the only meal on many days that I can share with my wife and child.

Good argument, you can find a suitable argument for every year. Alox forever!

Our breakfast today: a porridge with apple and seeds

(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #317 on: February 20, 2020, 02:55:46 PM
Elevenblade: Thank you for the info. Now I've learned a lot about your breakfast culture. For many years I didn't take the time to have breakfast at home. If there was such a breakfast in my city in the fast food restaurant, I would have used it too. Today I take an hour each morning to start the day with my family. It has become a ritual and the only meal on many days that I can share with my wife and child.

Eating with the family...priceless!  :cheers:
I like the worn look of your Alox!  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #318 on: February 20, 2020, 03:18:42 PM
 :iagree: on both! :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #319 on: February 20, 2020, 04:36:52 PM
@Sneider, good on you for taking the time eat with your family.  I didn't grow up eating with my family.  We all ate randomly and separately.  I always made dinner and ate with my family all thru their early years.  They had lunch at school and early on I made them breakfast but they wanted easy foods.  I'd say typical for my kids was cereals, fruits, oatmeal, cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt, sometimes egg with toasted bread and cheese, they also would have frozen waffles. 

They grow up so fast I'm sure you've heard.  Now trying to get them to sit for dinner is hard.  They work and go to school and have social lives.  Cherish the time my friend as I'm sure you do.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #320 on: February 20, 2020, 08:40:18 PM

our breakfast says a lot about our culture and lifestyle, doesnt it?  During the week, I don't normally eat breakfast. On the weekends, my breakfast is a lot like yours - one piece of bread after another, each with whatever random selection of toppings interests me at the time. 

@Sneider, good on you for taking the time eat with your family.  I didn't grow up eating with my family.  We all ate randomly and separately.  I always made dinner and ate with my family all thru their early years.  They had lunch at school and early on I made them breakfast but they wanted easy foods.  I'd say typical for my kids was cereals, fruits, oatmeal, cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt, sometimes egg with toasted bread and cheese, they also would have frozen waffles. 

They grow up so fast I'm sure you've heard.  Now trying to get them to sit for dinner is hard.  They work and go to school and have social lives.  Cherish the time my friend as I'm sure you do.   

I was just discussing this with some friends.  I grew up eating with family, but most of the kids I grew up with ate randomly and separately. 

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #321 on: February 20, 2020, 09:08:22 PM
With our family, we always ate dinner together and on Sunday morning we had breakfast together.
Was out shopping and brought home a few items...I do love Walmart’s Omega 3 nut mix  :mail:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #322 on: February 20, 2020, 09:24:25 PM
Its such a simple yet IMO wonderful thing to do is to have a meal with your family.  Sleep can wait IMO.  When my kids were young they would instinctively get hungry and loiter in the kitchen around what they perceived dinner time to be.  They'd began to set the table and wash up.  If I was "late" to make dinner, they'd eventually ask if they can help.  Breakfast unfortunately just didn't get the attention as they wanted easy ( even tho I'd make it ) or they wanted what I mentioned. 

Now of course they all say they wished they let me cook breakfast when they were young.  I loved having them help too, I know in some homes mom makes dinner while everyone sits.  I loved having the kids involved and now they can do quite a lot in the kitchen themselves.  We recently looked at a picture of us making Thanksgiving.  My kids we too cute all helping prepare the meal.  They were all so proud too when we served.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #323 on: February 20, 2020, 10:01:46 PM
Excellent!  :hatsoff:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #324 on: February 20, 2020, 10:35:44 PM
Eating with the family...priceless!  :cheers:
I like the worn look of your Alox!  :tu:

:cheers:

I was just discussing this with some friends.  I grew up eating with family, but most of the kids I grew up with ate randomly and separately. 

I see many families in my country who do not eat together, some because the daily rhythm forces them to do so. But many people don't seem to see any value in taking the time to eat together. This makes me thoughtful.  :-\

How true, when you have children you realize how quickly time flies.  :salute:

With our family, we always ate dinner together and on Sunday morning we had breakfast together.
Was out shopping and brought home a few items...I do love Walmart’s Omega 3 nut mix  :mail:

Nuts are great. Real men need nuts!  :drool: :D :cheers:

Its such a simple yet IMO wonderful thing to do is to have a meal with your family.  Sleep can wait IMO.  When my kids were young they would instinctively get hungry and loiter in the kitchen around what they perceived dinner time to be.  They'd began to set the table and wash up.  If I was "late" to make dinner, they'd eventually ask if they can help.  Breakfast unfortunately just didn't get the attention as they wanted easy ( even tho I'd make it ) or they wanted what I mentioned. 

Now of course they all say they wished they let me cook breakfast when they were young.  I loved having them help too, I know in some homes mom makes dinner while everyone sits.  I loved having the kids involved and now they can do quite a lot in the kitchen themselves.  We recently looked at a picture of us making Thanksgiving.  My kids we too cute all helping prepare the meal.  They were all so proud too when we served.     

Sounds great. Priceless time from which something remains forever.  :cheers:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:52:25 PM by Sneider »
(Leo Tolstoy)

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #325 on: February 20, 2020, 10:37:21 PM
For me, the food ritual has a special meaning. I had real health problems that I could solve with the type of what and how I eat. A lot has changed since I started doing it. I feel like other foods and they make me so satisfied and full that I hardly want to eat anything between meals. I always eat until I'm really full. Before the changeover, I ate twice as much and was always hungry (or thought I was)

Today I always take my time to eat. If at all possible from fresh ingredients, I take the lunch menus from home to work. I avoid eating in a hurry or distracted. Only the food and the people at the table (Or if I eat alone, I just enjoy the rest) No smartphone, no TV, no news on the radio. Deliberately taste what I eat and look each other in the eye while listening or telling what is enjoyable, new or important, planning or reviewing the day, planning the weekend, etc., etc.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:43:44 PM by Sneider »
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #326 on: February 21, 2020, 07:05:36 AM
 :hatsoff: As it should be.  We had a no TV or phone rule too.  We had such wonderful conversations.  The table was where we dreamed, planned, and expressed ourselves without judgment or ill attitude.  We laughed and sat at time far longer than I thought we would.  No one rushed off the table other than for dessert.     
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #327 on: February 21, 2020, 10:31:57 AM
:hatsoff: As it should be.  We had a no TV or phone rule too.  We had such wonderful conversations.  The table was where we dreamed, planned, and expressed ourselves without judgment or ill attitude.  We laughed and sat at time far longer than I thought we would.  No one rushed off the table other than for dessert.   

:salute: :cheers: :tu:

Todays breakfast was a bit cheesy

(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #328 on: February 21, 2020, 02:02:13 PM
:salute: :cheers: :tu:

Todays breakfast was a bit cheesy

Kiwi  :drool:
Works for me!  :like: :cheers:

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #329 on: February 23, 2020, 01:14:49 PM
Kiwi  :drool:
Works for me!  :like: :cheers:

Fruits works always! And kiwi are real morning wakes.
 :cheers:
(Leo Tolstoy)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31