Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knights of the Swiss Army, lend me your eyes! Come forth and share your tales!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
More interesting to me than pretty pictures of SAKs is discussion of why we love SAKs in the first place. Why we here, on this forum dedicated to SAKs? Why do we choose the specific SAK(s) that we do to carry in our daily lives? Why do we choose Swiss Army Knives over all the other knives and multitools available? I invite you to answer those questions here, and to share your SAK story. I'll start.

When I started to put together my EDC, I asked myself one simple question; what is it that I want to be prepared for in my daily life? I knew a knife was useful have on hand, but a knife has many uses. Some people carry a knife as a weapon, but that seemed ridiculous to me. I wanted to tinker with stuff, not hurt people. I wanted to carry a knife that people would look at and know was definitively not a weapon. So I started with a carbon bladed Opinel No8, and found use for it in opening packages and cutting food. The blade took on a beautiful patina, giving it a character of its own. But I soon found that its uses were somewhat limited for taking things apart, fixing them or just playing around. My knife couldn't do much beyond making cuts. So, I added a sapphire blue Victorinox Classic to my key chain and soldiered on. With a Classic on my keychain and an Opinel in my pocket, I felt like I could take on the world! But it wasn’t until I discovered that the little tip on the fingernail file could turn Phillips screws that I was truly hooked. That little classic had more to it than I first realized. I promptly went online, and started researching the different models of Swiss Army Knives. That led me to the Sakwiki, and to this forum. I ordered a Manager to upgrade my classic. What wasn’t to love about another dedicated screwdriver, a bottle opener and a freakin’ pen‽ I had stumbled into the rabbit hole.

I ordered, and briefly carried about a dozed different SAKs before settling on my current favorite. The process of weighing the advantages and disadvantages of each one was fun and rewarding, and I liked seeing my collection grow with each new addition. Somewhere early on in that process I had acquired a silver alox Cadet. It became the one I would always return to after a new SAK failed to appeal to me. Most SAKs were just too large to ride in my pocket. I don’t like being weighed down, and any more than two layers was more than I wanted on me. I still enjoy those larger SAKs, I just leave them at home, or stash them in my backpack for when I need the extra tools. But the special position of daily pocket carry was reserved for two layer SAKs. And over time, that two layer SAK was usually a Cadet.

The Cadet provided everything I needed in a simple, unassuming and featherlight package. The two inch blade was just long enough to handle any task I was likely to throw at it, while not being so large that it seemed out of place at school or at work. The full opener layer had become essential for me, with its many versatile uses. And the fingernail file, oh that fingernail file. It seemed to say, “Don’t you throw that little classic on your keychain baby, I’m all the knife you need. I know those scissors are sexy, but you can do it. You can be a one knife man.” And when I discovered that the tip on that fingernail file worked to turn tiny Phillips screws, I was once again in love. This little Cadet had not one, not two, but three different sized screwdriver tips within the folds of its slender frame! I had found my perfect SAK, containing all the cutting and tinkering capability I wanted in a slim package that dissapeared in my pocket.

I now own three Cadets, my original silver one, a blue 2015 special edition, and my newest addition is a red one. The red alox Cadet is my current daily carry, as its color says so much about what it is. Traditional Swiss Army Knives are red, and the red alox is a modern feeling variation on that. Not only does it look beautiful, it also presents itself as exactly what it is to any onlookers. There is something to be said for a traditional red SAK, and red alox is that and more.

Now is the time for pictures, to illustrate what has been said:

That's my SAK story, now tell us yours!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:07:08 PM by GoatDragon »

de Offline Josh613

I was gifted a red alox cadet because I didn't understand what the fuss was about. for me it works best for a day off work carry. It's a bit beat up and scratched but I don't mind so much. Are you counting the nail file as a screwdriver too?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
I was gifted a red alox cadet because I didn't understand what the fuss was about. for me it works best for a day off work carry. It's a bit beat up and scratched but I don't mind so much. Are you counting the nail file as a screwdriver too?

Beat up colored alox is the best alox! And yes, the nailfile tip works great for those tiny Phillips scews that are holding together many pieces of modern electronics. Some screws are too small to fit the can opener tip, and with those screws the nail file's tip often does the trick!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
I probably regurgitated this all several times before, but here's my humble tale.

I started carrying a pocket knife occasionally in my late teens. I did have one before which belonged to my Grandfather, and that knife is now long since lost. The knives that got me carrying again were both gifted to me.

First was a promotional keyring knife from the company I worked at, and gifted to me by one of the Directors. Equipped with just a small blade, and a combo bottle opener and screwdriver, this lived on my keys for well over a decade, until i started carrying other keyring tools. The other was a carbon steel Lambsfoot blade, gifted to me by a friend who workes in the cutlery industry. He had been gifted two by one of the "Little Mesters", and in turn gifted one to me. Both of these were made in Sheffield, and I still have both knives to this day.

As the years rolled by, I was occasionally gifted cheap and cheerful multitools for birthdays and Christmas. None were taken seriously, and ended up as drawer fodder, or got thrown out. I did get myself other knives, but single use ones - fixed and folding - but generally all very cheap. Eventually I decided to try a "proper" multitool, and bought myself a Gerber Suspension  ::) Whilst better than what I'd owned before, I could see where the shortcomings were. I decided to do some research online, and eventually plucked up the courage to buy something that wasn't cheap - a Swisstool CS plus. Wow what a difference!

Unfortunately this tool and it's accessories was neither UK legal, nor pocketable. There was lots of hype online about the Swiss knives, but I wasn't sure I'd feel satisfied with one of those cheap looking red knives. When I finally ordered one to try, I played it cautious and just ordered a smallish one - a Tourist. Within minutes of receiving it, I wished I'd known how good they were a couple of decades ago, and I also wished I'd got one with scissors!

That was just the start. Since then many knives and multitools have come and gone. I've learned a lot about what works for me and what doesn't, and while ever I walk upon this rock, I will not be without ownership of one of these knives. I don't carry one every day. some people feel naked it they don't have their smartphone on them. However, for me to feel prepared, I need a knife, scissors, light, pliers,and a couple of basic screwdrivers. A SAK is an ideal way to form part of that equation, and know that the tools I offers will not fail me.

I am not exclusively minded, and will cover my tool quota with other brands and other formats, but most days I will have some form of Swiss knife close by. Sometimes even that same Tourist that started it all.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
My reason is simple in my mind. 
When I need to use in the presence of others I love to hear a "wow", "oh that is cool", or even a "neat". 

My tactical type folders at best received a "gasp", but my SAK's are apparently harmless and non threatening, plus with the shiny stainless the blades are pretty. 

My simple, very sharp Farmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:27:19 PM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
My reason is simple in my mind. 
When I need to use in the presence of others I love to hear a "wow", "oh that is cool", or even a "neat". 

My tactical type folders at best received a "gasp", but my SAK's are apparently harmless and non threatening, plus with the shiny stainless the blades are pretty. 

So which SAK do you find receives the most admiration from others when you bust it out?

Edit: I see you added a photograph of a beautiful blue Farmer. That would certainly make me stop and oogle if you pulled it out around me!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:33:21 PM by GoatDragon »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
I was doomed to be a sakkist from the beginning.

My dad gave me a Camillus boy scout knife when I joined the boy scouts. It was my most treasured possession. I got used to having a can opener and screw driver and awl at a young age, and when I later became a knife nut, I tried all kinds of "other" knives, but I always missed having those extra tools/blades. So when I saw a big SAK display in 1969, I was hooked. Not only a screw driver and awl, but an extra blade as well. There were saw blades, files, corkscrews, tweezers, scissors and more. After a while, the infatuation with those "other" knives faded, because I realized that next to a SAK, all those other knives were shallow one trick ponies that were useless for dealing with a loose battery cable connection, adjusting a carburetor, loosening a radiator hose clamp to replace a leaking hose, or popping off the cap of a nice cold imported beer after the job. The SAK is a small pocket size bundle of tools that makes a regular pocket knife seem like a almost useless waste of time to carry.

Most all my "other" uni yes are gone now, and I'm just a sakkist. Always will be.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
My story is very simple. I had absolutely no interest in SAKs, that was until I signed up here. I had started collecting plier based multi-tools, when I noticed I couldn't really participate in this part of MT.O. I felt somewhat left out and was curious about all the fuss. I found a bunch of Wengers at a local retailer and really liked them. It wasn't a big stretch for me to start thinking about SAKs as another facet of multi-tools. Thus I started to acquire them and am happy with my collection now. I haven't bought a SAK in some time now...having reached my limit of them.

I have never EDCed for any length of time, a SAK. When I did however, it was mostly a Vic SwissChamp. These days, I leave the SAKS in their drawers. I do however have one example pressed into service as part of my Jeep survival kit, a Victorinox Dual Pro X.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline LoopCutter

So which SAK do you find receives the most admiration from others when you bust it out?

I also EDC a Vagabond

The orange peeler is admired as well as the 3D Phillips, those are not expected of a small knife. 

I do like to have it special or different, many SAK models provide that option for me. 

Thanks for oogle of the Farmer, I also have some in orange.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life

I also EDC a Vagabond
(Image removed from quote.)
The orange peeler is admired as well as the 3D Phillips, those are not expected of a small knife. 

I do like to have it special or different, many SAK models provide that option for me. 

Thanks for oogle of the Farmer, I also have some in orange.

What do you use the orange peeler for? I have a Manager, and have been curious about the Vagabond. I just don't know what use I would have for the second tiny blade and orange peeler.

Also, one of these days I'm gonna get me a farmer - it's the only alox I don't have yet - and it's going to be either orange or blue. Any comparison pics of the two. Which color do you prefer?

us Offline LoopCutter

The small blade is my favorite, it can quickly cut coupons, cut out a pattern better than scissors,(like shape from a coloring book for grand kids to create special story board.
The orange peeler does a great job on navel oranges with thick skin, also as a letter opener and also on blister packages.

Here is picture of my orange Farmer, I also have a Pioneer, that is a shade lighter.

The Blue is work carry, complimented by a LM Rebar.
The Orange Farmer or O Pioneer share weekend and home duty.
I travel and am often gone M-F each week, so what is packed on Sunday is with me for week day duty. 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:10:29 AM by LoopCutter »

Hope yours is as good!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%