Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A multitool collector's worst nightmare

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
A multitool collector's worst nightmare
on: October 28, 2016, 06:37:26 PM
I was in a local hardware store, one that is about a hundred years old, or they would be had they not been bought a few years ago by one of the big conglomerates.  They recently moved across the road to a new location, abandoning the building they have occupied since the early 1900's.  I guess they have been cleaning out the back room because I spotted a deeply discounted set of wrenches, Allen wrenches and other things and I thought "well, I could use a backup set of wrenches" especially for the bargain price of $21.99.

I considered not getting it for a minute or two, since my expenses have been a bit high this month already (I had to replace an oven in a tenant unit) so I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money, but then I noticed they were Gerber branded, and that there was an MP600 in the package!

It was obviously an old set, because the tool inside wasn't a full on MP600, it was actually a Multiplier, and an old one judging by the milled handles and very primitive looking plier head.  Needless to say, when I saw that I figured I absolutely had to have it, especially for the price!  I decided to have some fun on the way to the cash and I tried to take a picture of it to send to Bob (aka J-Sews) and see if he had any info on it, and also to torment him with this ancient Gerber I have never seen or heard of, but unfortunately my phone battery was dead... as usual.....  ::)

No problem, I can wait until I get to the Jeep and can plug in the phone.  I make my way to the counter and, when I get there I keep getting shunted aside while the staff tries to unload new stock into the store.  I start to find it a little rude after a bit, but there's not much I can do, as I am not leaving my treasure behind for anything.

Then one employee scans my treasure with a portable scanner, but I really have no idea which cash she has scanned it to as she doesn't seem to be standing near any of them, and she just stands there scowling at me as I get more and more frustrated and miss the old version of this store a little more.

But, before I can say something.....

I wake up and realise the awesome, amazing Proto MultiPlier was just a dream and I realised after starting the day with a disappointment like that, it just has to get better!

:bnghd:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Re: A multitool collector's worst nightmare
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 06:39:38 PM
Reality is a smurf  :D  :salute:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 06:43:04 PM
 :rofl:

Awesome to know the Boss even dreams about MTs. 

Bummer it was a dream however. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 06:56:54 PM
Bummer!  :D
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 08:38:07 PM
Some have gotten confused between their Wave and Wife.
 :facepalm:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 08:40:25 PM
 :like:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 08:47:31 PM

after starting the day with a disappointment like that, it just has to get better!

that's what she said....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 08:54:10 PM
 :like:

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 09:30:32 PM
 :rofl:

You had me going boss, I was so excited to see your Gerber brand allen wrenches
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 09:31:37 PM
Maybe if you think about it enough right before you go to sleep again tonight then you can get back to the same dream and buy it this time :whistle: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 10:15:49 PM
Maybe if you think about it enough right before you go to sleep again tonight then you can get back to the same dream and buy it this time :whistle: :D

I sure hope so!

I've been really trying to recall what the handles looked like exactly because I recall them being very cool looking and I'd love to try and build them someday!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 11:27:28 PM
Wow-Dreams like this are always interesting.  :ahhh

Sorry about your disappointment. :(
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 11:41:53 PM
Wow-Dreams like this are always interesting.  :ahhh

Sorry about your disappointment. :(

It's ok- I am used to it!  My dreams and disappointment have gone together for as long as I can remember!  :P

What gets to me was how vivid it was- that I was actually considering my current state of funds, and the battery life on my phone and how I planned to just plug it into my Jeep.  I have to say, my dreams rarely seem to have that much detail, or if they do, it's not something I can usually recall.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 02:51:19 AM
I was so damn excited reading this, and now I'm :twak:  lol

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 03:05:44 AM
Likewise. I was going to congratulate you on a rare find....

I will say, that is certainly a collector's worst nightmare.  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 03:12:21 AM
I always thought some dreams gave you glimpses of other versions of you, in other worlds... maybe a doppelgänger of yours did buy the tool somewhere out there

Yeah, I know, I've been watching too many sci-fi shows.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 03:15:15 AM
I always thought some dreams gave you glimpses of other versions of you, in other worlds... maybe a doppelgänger of yours did buy the tool somewhere out there

Yeah, I know, I've been watching too many sci-fi shows.

I do like the idea that somewhere, in some universe, some part of me is showing Bob a tool that Grant has a tool that Bob doesn't have!  :D

Def

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 03:56:49 AM
Grant, you had me really eager. I would complain about you teasing us, but you teased yourself the most.

I always thought some dreams gave you glimpses of other versions of you,

Yeah... thats a comforting thought....
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 04:09:56 AM
I too have had dreams of blades and multitools, it's so sad that our hobby enters our dreams. Last good dream involved my beloved Spyderench.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 04:29:16 AM
Heheh, I've fallen for the same thing more than a few times.

It's rough, I'll give it that.

The worst ones are when, half way through, you semi-realise it's a dream, but your sleepy-ass brain figures "well if I hold it real tight maybe It'll come with me" and you wake up with cramped hands from trying to keep something from "the other side"  :-\

(The ones that *really* bug me are the ones where I find something I'd lost....but it turns out not.

Often SAKs, but I'm haunted by a certain item I lost as a younger lad and have never been able to recover.....

no Offline Grathr

Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 06:41:50 AM
I think reading about your dream affected my dreams last night.
I suddenly owned a new cool MT, also a Gerber, but I could not find its name. I tried looking everywhere on the internet but could not find it. I tried asking the people in the shop where I just bought it, what it was called, but they could not find it in their registers.
By the way, it had a razor sharp main blade made of wood,  and I was on vacation on an island floating in the sky...  :whistle:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 08:02:11 AM
Now that I've been thinking about it,

Either last night or the night before (Dreams are tricky like that) I found a selection of Swizas on sale (looking at the website now, what I had doesn't exist) - Anyway, I got two models at a great price, and was considering how they were better than expected and looking forward to coming on here and passing on my thoughts.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 05:47:09 PM
I know I've posted about it a long time ago, but I couldn't find the post in my history; at one point, years ago, I had a dream where I had found some out-of-the-way hardware store.  Traveling through the aisles, I found a locked display cabinet:  Space Shuttles, old cross alox, and other unbelievably rare goodies all dusty and just ready for the picking.  I still remember the old gentleman ask if I was interested in anything, and the reaction to my reply that I would take it all, that I wanted to buy every single SAK he had.  I, sadly, woke up at that point, but damn, one of these days, I'm going to find that place, and with my luck, they won't accept credit cards.  ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: October 29, 2016, 09:35:19 PM
I know I've posted about it a long time ago, but I couldn't find the post in my history; at one point, years ago, I had a dream where I had found some out-of-the-way hardware store.  Traveling through the aisles, I found a locked display cabinet:  Space Shuttles, old cross alox, and other unbelievably rare goodies all dusty and just ready for the picking.  I still remember the old gentleman ask if I was interested in anything, and the reaction to my reply that I would take it all, that I wanted to buy every single SAK he had.  I, sadly, woke up at that point, but damn, one of these days, I'm going to find that place, and with my luck, they won't accept credit cards.  ::)

That certainly is the Holy Grail for any collector!

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 05:11:22 PM

I would love to find that! My wallet would hate to though.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 06:15:16 PM
I know I've posted about it a long time ago, but I couldn't find the post in my history; at one point, years ago, I had a dream where I had found some out-of-the-way hardware store.  Traveling through the aisles, I found a locked display cabinet:  Space Shuttles, old cross alox, and other unbelievably rare goodies all dusty and just ready for the picking.  I still remember the old gentleman ask if I was interested in anything, and the reaction to my reply that I would take it all, that I wanted to buy every single SAK he had.  I, sadly, woke up at that point, but damn, one of these days, I'm going to find that place, and with my luck, they won't accept credit cards.  Grant just dreamed about the same place the previous night and left with everything... ::)

FTFY...

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 01:07:18 AM
I do like the idea that somewhere, in some universe, some part of me is showing Bob a tool that Grant has a tool that Bob doesn't have!  :D

Now I know for sure you are dreaming !  Nearly every time I tell Bob about some rare (and often bizarre) tool I've just discovered he comes back and informs me that he has 3 different variants of it (but he is still looking for the fourth even rarer variant)  :rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 01:31:25 AM

Now I know for sure you are dreaming !  Nearly every time I tell Bob about some rare (and often bizarre) tool I've just discovered he comes back and informs me that he has 3 different variants of it (but he is still looking for the fourth even rarer variant)  :rofl:

You too huh?

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%