Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Feature, the Multitool.org Multitool Minute

us Offline metasyntax

Re: New Feature, the Multitool.org Multitool Minute
Reply #90 on: November 14, 2016, 04:06:57 PM
It's Monday, which means a new Multitool Minute!  As if Mondays weren't bad enough already!  :P

Def

Great video. :tu: I like to pair my Freestyle with an Explorer, I think they complement each other pretty well.
Like your hat too, that's a Tilley right? The ones with the snap-up sides are awesome.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #91 on: November 14, 2016, 07:03:00 PM
It's Monday, which means a new Multitool Minute!  As if Mondays weren't bad enough already!  :P

Def

Great video. :tu: I like to pair my Freestyle with an Explorer, I think they complement each other pretty well.
Like your hat too, that's a Tilley right? The ones with the snap-up sides are awesome.

Yup- that's an Airflow model. Never leave home without it!

I see you've mastered the finish without it "snipping" off unexpectedly  :P

Is there a way to measure traffic from the videos?

Snapped a screenshot this morning to show how well te Center-Drive video was doing.  It's pretty well buried all of the other ones as you can see! 

Def
Screenshot_2016-11-14-06-01-14.jpg
* Screenshot_2016-11-14-06-01-14.jpg (Filesize: 146.88 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #92 on: November 14, 2016, 07:21:32 PM
Getting better, boss!

:salute: :tu:

Try doing this: in the intro, when you finished presenting the theme of the review, pause for a little longer. When you edit the footage, you can cut it without having that awkward moment when you move to the camera to shut it off.

If you get a cone over the mic, pointing at you, you can muffle most of the surrounding noise (cheapper than getting a directional mic).

:cheers:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #93 on: November 14, 2016, 07:44:45 PM
:like:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #94 on: November 14, 2016, 11:10:09 PM
:like:

+1 These are getting better Boss :tu: I know you say that can't be getting worse but yes they could :pok: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #95 on: November 15, 2016, 12:05:30 AM
They can't get much worse, but they could get a lot longer!    :ahhh

My plan all along has been "condensed crap!"

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #96 on: November 15, 2016, 10:57:24 PM
Today is the Sidekick- sorry it's a bit later than usual but I have plumbers digging up my basement...

Enjoy!

Def

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #97 on: November 15, 2016, 11:16:33 PM
Nice! This is the sort of thing that the manufacturers ought to be putting on every product page. Sort of unfortunate that YouTube chose "and one of the more useless tools" for the thumbnail, ha. There's gotta be a way to change it, but I don't know diddly about YouTube content creation. Good stuff though!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: November 15, 2016, 11:22:57 PM
Nice! This is the sort of thing that the manufacturers ought to be putting on every product page. Sort of unfortunate that YouTube chose "and one of the more useless tools" for the thumbnail, ha. There's gotta be a way to change it, but I don't know diddly about YouTube content creation. Good stuff though!

I didn't realize that!   :ahhh

thanks for pointing it out!  I believe I have fixed it now.  That comment was actually there when I was pointing out the folding lanyard ring, which strikes me as one of the most useless things ever developed.

Unless it functions as a portable hole in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, it's a waste of space and metal.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #99 on: November 15, 2016, 11:58:40 PM

I didn't realize that!   :ahhh

thanks for pointing it out!  I believe I have fixed it now.  That comment was actually there when I was pointing out the folding lanyard ring, which strikes me as one of the most useless things ever developed.

Unless it functions as a portable hole in the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, it's a waste of space and metal.

Def

Another one in the books :cheers: I also have a dislike for the lanyard ring as well :rant: They use to put them on the outside leaving all the inside space for tools bow they just use it so they don't have to put as many I think :facepalm: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #100 on: November 16, 2016, 12:28:50 AM
SOG did the best for lanyard rings as far as I'm concerned.  Look at the PowerLock:

You can see it tucked away on the bottom of the left handle in the above image.  It can easily be removed, or as you can see above, tucked away.  It can also be brought out and used if lanyard use is your thing.  Just fire in a small split ring and you can tie or hook pretty well anything you like to it.  It doesn't take up any interior space, it is as strong as any other component on the tool, it's easily added ot removed or tucked away.

SOG isn't usually the first manufacturer that comes to mind when you think slick or elegant, and even if it is, the PowerLock is generally not the first tool you think of in that category, but this is perhaps one of the finest solutions to lanyards that I have seen from any manufacturer.

That bit of sheet metal with a hole in it that comes on many Leathermans may not take up much space but it is also sharp enough to cut through any lanyard you might try to put in it,  And, the thick ones you find on the older Gerber models was a complete waste of space.

I would rather have nothing than either of those types of lanyards.

I didn't mention it in the film becase of time issues, but one major problem I have with the Sidekick and Wingman is that idiotic decorative hole in the handle.  When you pull out the tool, occupied by something else and try to open the knife blade by feel there is just as much chance that you will try to open the handle.  I know, I have done it.  You have the tool rotated 180 degrees in your hand and you try to open the blade and all you are doing is pushing against the handle.  This is frsutrating, and a serious drawback to this tool.  IMHO, it defeats the purpose of having a one handed opening blade on a tool.

Leatherman designers, if you are reading this, please redesign the fricking SideKick and Wingman to get rid of that idiotic, stupid, useless and misleading hole.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #101 on: November 16, 2016, 12:33:12 AM
Here is a photo of the Wingman that shows the hole I am talking about.

See where the blade opening hole is on the top left, and the idiotic fake hole on the bottom right.

What the hell were they thinking when they designed that?

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: November 16, 2016, 12:36:20 AM
SOG did the best for lanyard rings as far as I'm concerned.  Look at the PowerLock:

(Image removed from quote.)

You can see it tucked away on the bottom of the left handle in the above image.  It can easily be removed, or as you can see above, tucked away.  It can also be brought out and used if lanyard use is your thing.  Just fire in a small split ring and you can tie or hook pretty well anything you like to it.  It doesn't take up any interior space, it is as strong as any other component on the tool, it's easily added ot removed or tucked away.

SOG isn't usually the first manufacturer that comes to mind when you think slick or elegant, and even if it is, the PowerLock is generally not the first tool you think of in that category, but this is perhaps one of the finest solutions to lanyards that I have seen from any manufacturer.

That bit of sheet metal with a hole in it that comes on many Leathermans may not take up much space but it is also sharp enough to cut through any lanyard you might try to put in it,  And, the thick ones you find on the older Gerber models was a complete waste of space.

I didn't mention it in the film becase of time issues, but one major problem I have with the Sidekick and Wingman is that idiotic decorative hole in the handle.  When you pull out the tool, occupied by something else and try to open the knife blade by feel there is just as much chance that you will try to open the handle.  I know, I have done it.  You have the tool rotated 180 degrees in your hand and you try to open the blade and all you are doing is pushing against the handle.  This is frsutrating, and a serious drawback to this tool.  IMHO, it defeats the purpose of having a one handed opening blade on a tool.

Leatherman designers, if you are reading this, please redesign the fricking SideKick and Wingman to get rid of that idiotic, stupid, useless and misleading hole.

Def

The old school lanyard rings are another thing LM should have brought back with some of the newer tools as well IMO :tu: Well an improved version anyways :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: November 16, 2016, 01:00:35 AM
Agreed.  Leatherman used to have decent ones as well, as you can see in this old comparison photo of Bob's:

I still think SOG's were better because they were away from the plier pivot, which kept the lanyard out of the way of the pliers when you used it, and you could remove it easily or rotate it out of the way.  But yes, the original Leatherman lanyard ring was indeed quite nice in it's own right.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #104 on: November 16, 2016, 01:31:28 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

Major Problem!

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: November 16, 2016, 10:50:45 PM
I am just exporting the video for today's Multitool Minute now- it will be posted in about ten or fifteen minutes.  I thought about having a little guessing game on what this one is, but I doubt anyone would get it.  This is kind of an obscure one, so I hope you will all like it.  It's existence has been known to all (been referenced here many times) but is almost immediately forgotten about!  :D

I hope you all like it.  :D

Def

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #106 on: November 16, 2016, 10:57:31 PM
 :woohoo: :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #107 on: November 16, 2016, 11:00:28 PM
Here you go!

Def

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #108 on: November 16, 2016, 11:14:05 PM
Fascinating...  :think:
Never heard of the steady.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #109 on: November 17, 2016, 12:10:33 AM
Surprisingly, it didn't last long.   ::)

It seems no one was willing to spend $65 on a tripod with a couple of not so great functions.  It's not a super high quality tool, and the handles are all plastic, which is probably a good thing as the plier seems to have been stolen from a cheap dollar store multitool.   :ahhh

But, it makes an excellent tabletop tripod....

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #110 on: November 17, 2016, 12:15:54 PM

It seems no one was willing to spend $65 on a tripod with a couple of not so great functions.  It's not a super high quality tool, and the handles are all plastic, which is probably a good thing as the plier seems to have been stolen from a cheap dollar store multitool.   :ahhh

Def

You know, of course...

Show content

I just saw this video, on one of the knives in my wanted list. The initial specs listing, in a semi-transparent font, may be a good feature to use in your videos. Don't know if it's too complicated to insert the text or if it works with the subtitles showing at the same time...
 :think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #111 on: November 17, 2016, 03:08:16 PM

Def

You know, of course...

Show content

I just saw this video, on one of the knives in my wanted list. The initial specs listing, in a semi-transparent font, may be a good feature to use in your videos. Don't know if it's too complicated to insert the text or if it works with the subtitles showing at the same time...

Maybe a good plan for when I have a better computer and some decent software, but this is really the best that can be done with Windows Movie Maker.   :ahhh

It's actually funny that you guys are posting other people's videos.  I was curious about a tool and saw someone had posted a video so I decided to watch it.

Over six minutes long, and it was a minute and a half before the guy started talking about the tool!   :ahhh

There may have been some useful info in it (not sure, there was a lot of pointless stuff to dig through to get the nuggets of usefulness), but I got bored after 5 minutes and shut it off.

Maybe the Multitool Minute should be the Multitool Two Minutes as I find them awfully short and I can't get as much info into them as I'd like, but it's a lot better than wasting six minutes of your life on pointless stuff andbeing late for work because the video put you to sleep!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #112 on: November 17, 2016, 03:45:33 PM
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, the guy got it wrong too.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: November 17, 2016, 05:16:37 PM
I get to the point of not wasting my time on a lot of videos when I already know the person will talk for 5-10 mins even before showing the tool let alone talk about it.  There is a balance of lack of info and over kill.  I do enjoy comparisons to other tools so I can get an idea of size.  I've seen some good videos where there is a ruler on the table as well.  Give me the bullet points and stop in some personal info and I'm good to go. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #114 on: November 17, 2016, 05:16:40 PM
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, the guy got it wrong too.

Def

I just posted the video to illustrate the specs list at the beginning. The rest of the video was very repetitititive...

Ok, it's about a nice knife but you could say everything about it in less than 1min.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #115 on: November 17, 2016, 05:18:22 PM
How about making some in depth videos in addition to the minute ones for tools you feel like talking more about?
A "Multitool dual minute"
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #116 on: November 17, 2016, 05:25:45 PM
How about making some in depth videos in addition to the minute ones for tools you feel like talking more about?
A "Multitool dual minute"

"Multitool.org Extended Minute"?...

Ok, we are going a little overboard here. Grant is just starting, we haven't even give him time to see what works and what doesn't. I think he might need to do a few more reviews and after that maybe experiment with some of our suggestions. If he finds that some radical changes are in order, he can redo some of the first ones later on.

Another idea to keep in the back burner: some tools have similar models (from the same or different brands). A face-off video of two of them at a time might be interesting. Being two tools, it could be a new 2min format: "Multitool.org Dual Minute" or something to that effect...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #117 on: November 17, 2016, 05:27:18 PM
Ok, it's about a nice knife but you could say everything about it in less than 1min.
And yet, he didn't even test to see if you could baton with it.

:angel:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #118 on: November 17, 2016, 05:28:34 PM
And yet, he didn't even test to see if you could baton with it.

:angel:

Or use it as a pry bar... I think there's another 10min video about it...

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: November 17, 2016, 05:29:45 PM
I'm going to do other things with it all too- this is just the first step.  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%