Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening Methods

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Sharpening Methods
on: November 08, 2016, 02:40:01 AM
Greetings fellow Knights,

Got my first Tinker from my dad at age 8, always had an affinity for SAKs.  Lately I've been buying used SAKs off the big auction site and have purchased a couple new Compacts (a red for EDC and a black for collection's sake).    Also purchased the Vic Dual Sharpener and have been practicing on some of my more used blades with decent results. I am a novice when it comes to sharpening skills.  I watched all the videos I could for advice on using this sharpener but would like to know what kind of sharpening methods y'all are using to get that factory-sharpness or better.  Videos would be grand.

Thanks,
El Corkscrew
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline irona

Re: Sharpening Methods
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 02:51:02 AM
I've been using a lansky for the past year with great results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 03:01:33 AM
Most of the time I use the dual sharpener... sometimes use the Spyderco Sharpmaker when the blade is really dull (usually for purchased second hand SAKS and for sharpening scissors)... In either case, I use a leather strop afterwards...

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 03:14:31 AM
I use the Sharpmaker at 40° with the fine and sometimes ultra-fine stones (medium as necessary for a duller blade). But I'm no expert by any stretch, it's just what I can do that works. The resulting edge will slice through phone book paper with ease, that's good enough for me.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

hk Offline aurabattler

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 07:34:01 AM
I use the dual sharpener. It works especially well on sak and also works on leatherman.

However, I found it more useful on larger blades like 91mm. I always have difficulties on sharpening the front part of small blades like the 58mm blades. I can sharpen the latter part of the blade razor sharp but the front part is usually... OK sharp...
Anyone have some good tips on doing the tip of small blades?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 07:49:22 AM
I use the dual sharpener. It works especially well on sak and also works on leatherman.

However, I found it more useful on larger blades like 91mm. I always have difficulties on sharpening the front part of small blades like the 58mm blades. I can sharpen the latter part of the blade razor sharp but the front part is usually... OK sharp...
Anyone have some good tips on doing the tip of small blades?
The dual sharpener should do the trick... just focus on the tip and mantain a constant angle... stropping afterwards will make it even better

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 08:37:57 AM
I use the Lansky clamp system with the guide rods.  It is the only way I'm able to be consistent on the angle.  I like it a lot. 

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 09:01:54 AM
I use the Sharpmaker at 40° with the fine and sometimes ultra-fine stones (medium as necessary for a duller blade). But I'm no expert by any stretch, it's just what I can do that works. The resulting edge will slice through phone book paper with ease, that's good enough for me.

I'm no expert at sharpening, but have also been using a Spyderco Sharpmaker at 40° (on the flat side of the rods) with the fine rods, as it's the only way I've found that I can get a reasonably consistent angle and seems to avoid causing unwanted micro serrations and also doesn't scratch rest of the blade up. Metasyntax - do you find the ultra-fine rods work well and give an extra level of sharpness? Have been considering getting a pair, but they're quite expensive. Have also recently acquired a basic wood-mounted leather strop and some Smurf Poo stropping compound, but haven't tried this out yet, will experiment on some "user" knives.
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 09:09:59 AM

I'm no expert at sharpening, but have also been using a Spyderco Sharpmaker at 40° (on the flat side of the rods) with the fine rods, as it's the only way I've found that I can get a reasonably consistent angle and seems to avoid causing unwanted micro serrations and also doesn't scratch rest of the blade up. Metasyntax - do you find the ultra-fine rods work well and give an extra level of sharpness? Have been considering getting a pair, but they're quite expensive. Have also recently acquired a basic wood-mounted leather strop and some Smurf Poo stropping compound, but haven't tried this out yet, will experiment on some "user" knives.
The superfine stones should make the edge smoother... and the strop will even make for much smoother cuts apart from giving the edge a mirror finish...

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 01:48:07 PM
A couple of years ago, after a fair bit of reading around here and elsewhere, I picked up the Spyderco Sharpmaker to use instead of my primitive Victorinox Sharpy. I have used both angles but tend to go with the 40.

I regard myself as around beginner at sharpening. Yet I do not need to be able to shave with a knife (though this is fun to test). My knives are sharpened to the point of cleanly cutting paper but more is overkill and perhaps best avoided with kids around anyway.

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 02:42:31 PM

95% of the time I use 12 micromesh mx 12x4 inch sheets and sharpen by hand from 80mx to 1200mx that's the most relaxing as you can watch TV at the same time :)

I also have

Wicked Edge .... Quick review Fantastic bit of kit and if I was to sharpen a $1000 knife I would use it every time ..... But it is a bit of a space hog on my desk so it rarely sees daylight
Spyderco Sharpmaker ..... Great ......I also got the diamond rods and superfine  (but to be honest I don't think they are worth the cost )
Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition with knife grinding attachment   ..... total overkill for sharpening but having a mini belt grinder on my desk is very handy

I have tried a few other systems but sold them on mostly if they were a pain to set up or use

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 03:00:08 PM
Lansky system if the blades fit (the pen blades are a bit small, particularly on the fatter SAKs) to set the angle, then a Turnbox for maintenance.  I keep a Vic dual sharpener handy for touching up edges too.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 03:42:10 PM

I'm no expert at sharpening, but have also been using a Spyderco Sharpmaker at 40° (on the flat side of the rods) with the fine rods, as it's the only way I've found that I can get a reasonably consistent angle and seems to avoid causing unwanted micro serrations and also doesn't scratch rest of the blade up. Metasyntax - do you find the ultra-fine rods work well and give an extra level of sharpness?
The superfine stones should make the edge smoother... and the strop will even make for much smoother cuts apart from giving the edge a mirror finish...
^^ What he said. It certainly polishes the edge more, but in my experience doesn't improve cutting performance too much. Normally, I just do the fine stones and that's it. The ultra-fine stones are just for fun.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 05:04:10 PM
I like the Victorinox sharpener pen, when on the move. At home I'm using an Arkansas whetstone or the DC4. With the latter I keep my Pioneer Solo sharp enough to shave the hairs of my arm, and it doesn't take more than a minute (it's a weekly routine). I'm not using a strop, enough is enough. No pics as my camera is malfunctioning.

https://www.fallkniven.com/en/kniv/dc4/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:12:43 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 05:59:08 PM
Very old butcher steel I bought 30+ years ago at a flea market. It has been my main knife sharpening tool since I was about 13 years old.
IMG_20150912_075316.jpg
* IMG_20150912_075316.jpg (Filesize: 156.09 KB)
IMG_20160221_103235.jpg
* IMG_20160221_103235.jpg (Filesize: 179.89 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 07:48:05 PM
I also use the Lansky guide rod system but use a coarse stone, 3 Arkansas stones (soft, hard and black hard) and then a sapphire stone for final polishing.  I also use the Lansky leather strop that uses the guide rods since I'm already set up.  Yellowstone compound goes on the strop.  I use 25 degree (50 degree inclusive) for all of my knives so I don't have to remember which angle goes to which knife.  This system puts a very fine razor edge on the knife that shaves hair easily.

For ocassional touch-up I use the Lansky Fold-A-Vee also set at the 25 degree angle.  Kind of like a fold up crock stick.  Don't believe they are available now but some old stock still exists and they show up on eBay at times.  I found a source for someone in the UK, evidently they are very popular with soldiers over there.
                       :cheers:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 01:08:17 AM
First step.  If the blade has chips, dings, or other damage, I use a pretty coarse stone made by Lansky for sharpening garden tools to remove that damage. 

Step two:  I have a black stone, intended for sharpening axes, and of some synthetic material (carborundum) that's pretty fine, but not as fine as my Arkansas stone to "get a good edge".

Step three:  Get a sharp edge with my Smith's Soft Arkansas soapstone.

Step four:  Get a shaving sharp edge by stropping with a piece of cardboard, which I lay flat.

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 03:15:45 AM
For someone that is not accustomed to sharpening and/or doesn't have the patience or spare time to learn freehand (stone) sharpening, I believe that the Spyderco Sharpmaker is about the best you can get. It's simple and easy to use, works well, and works on all sorts of different blades of all lengths, and you can even use it as a makeshift bench stone if you wish. It's my favorite "system."
That said, I'm currently using freehand sharpening much more than my sharpmaker. I'm currently using a medium coarse Smiths brand diamond stone or the unglazed ring on the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug, depending on what's closer to hand. It's not that difficult once you get the hang of it, but it does take practice. What I would do is find a cheap, junky, not good for much else knife and practice, practice, practice. You'll learn pretty quick how to get a working edge on a knife. Also, don't worry too terribly much about angles. As long as it's consistent between strokes, you'll get an edge. Just don't let it be too thin or it'll chip under heavy use, and too thick will tend to be blunter than you'll want. Victorinox uses 15 degrees per side iirc, and "my angle" (the one I naturally put on all the knives I sharpen on a stone) is probably around 15 or 20, which is a good all-purpose angle for the work I do.

EDIT: It's worth noting that I prefer coarser, "toothier" edges on my knives, which is why the medium diamond and coffee mug bottom work for me as primary tools. If you prefer smoother edges, you'll need more stones, and those stones will need to be finer grit to give you that smooth edge. For me, toothy edges hold up better, are easier to maintain,  and cut just as well for the work I do. It's personal preference.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:21:43 AM by thatotherguy »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 06:55:10 AM
I use the Lansky clamp system with the guide rods.  It is the only way I'm able to be consistent on the angle.  I like it a lot.

This ^^^

Add a good light and a sharpie to any of the advice here  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

fi Offline Padre

Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 10:14:36 AM
Whetstone and some rods.
 :)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 07:54:57 PM
+1 for sharpmaker

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 11:28:45 PM
+1 for sharpmaker

+2 ,  then - 8 , then add +6 back ....... but then x 50 that SMURF!  :whistle: :D SharpMaker  8) :2tu: getcha some!
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 11:37:27 PM
Another sharpmaker at 40.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 11:56:18 PM
Diamond steel, pocket stones, pocket steels, pocket diamond steels, worksharp, oil stone, japanese waterstones...... and patience

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 10:39:28 PM
coffee mug... the rough part of the underside xD
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 06:58:12 AM
I'd like to thank y'all for your suggestions.  I've continued to use the dual sharpener, and I'm pretty happy with the results, I think stropping will be my next undertaking.  I've gone a little crazy with the auctions lately.... trying to cover all my MacGyver episodes... you know how it is.      Really torn between the Compact, the Climber, and the Executive right now... but that's another topic. 

Happy Holidays, my fellow Knights,

Keep it chivalrous. :climber:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 01:23:43 PM
For me the Victorinox dual sharpener is the best thing I bought. I just don't let my blades get too dull, a few passes regularly and its sharp enough for me  :tu:
I'm a complete noob at regular sharpening, is the blade is a little dull and I try and sharpen with a stone ill make it even worse... ::)
So for me the sharpener is a lifesaver  :salute:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Danjo

Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 08:35:35 AM
I'm pretty good with whetstones, but I do use the dual sharpener most of the time because of how easy it is. It keeps my SAKs plenty sharp.
"There always seems to be a way to fix things." - MacGyver

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 03:35:27 AM
Just about 10 months later and my dual sharpener is still my friend... even for dull blades.  I've found it's all about repetition.  For blades that need more work, it's uniform strokes starting at a high number 15-25 on each side and working your way down... 20 left 20 right 15 left 15 right 10 left 10 right 5 left 5 Right 2:2 repeated 1:1 repeated... you can repeat any of them as needed... I just find with this method it's easier to find that consistent angle and I'm getting El blades as sharp as I want them.

Mags hooked me up with an awesome ceramic rod that I use for blades that just need a touch up and it does a super job.  I've been finishing off with a pencil eraser but want to find a good leather strop.

Anyway, it feels good learning some basic sharpening skills, carrying a dull blade is a draaaaag.

:salute:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:38:05 AM by El Corkscrew »

ru Offline Vovaster

Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 11:01:35 PM
If I need to touch up the edge I prefer natural stone, which manufactured by opinel, or the peace of leather with dialux paste.
If I need to sharp I prefer Japanese wetstones or if the blade looks very bad - use a diamond sharpeners.
Peace. Work. May.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD