Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What to carry on late night run?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
What to carry on late night run?
on: March 31, 2009, 01:15:59 AM
Of late I have noticed that prime77 is not in the prime of shape he was when he was younger. In my early twenties for about 4 years I used to run over 5 miles every day. Growing up and having kids and a full time night job as taken way the time and energy to do such things. I always enjoyed running and decided to take it up again. But I really don't want to go out in the afternoon before I have to go to work. So for past month I have been going out after I get home from work usually around 1:30am. There is a 2 mile loop on some small side roads in my area that I go around. Not a great long distance run by any means but something to start on. Now the question. What would you guys carry on such a run? All I have been carrying with me is my I.D, a light clipped to my hat as I don't own any headlamps and another light I carry in my hand that is a really good thrower as I run next to cow fields for most of the run and it gets kind of spooky not knowing what's out there on the really dark nights. That's it. My wife really want's my to get some pepper spray to take along as there have been Bear and Coyotes spotted around in the past. I just don't know. 
"

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: What to carry on late night run?
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:34:00 AM
A pistol and a cell phone.
[

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 02:19:30 AM
An Uzi or a Glock 17L.
(

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 02:41:43 AM
I don't know if if it would be of much use in self defense scenarios,but I'd consider a Becker Necker or something similar.
I

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 02:49:05 AM
airlight .22 revolver 
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 02:51:46 AM
Hmm, I'd say a high powered light w/ strobe and a small frame pistol and a Beretta Jetfire (.25 cal). It holds 8 rounds in the mag and 1 in the chamber..
B

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 02:53:12 AM
A long barreled 9mm or .22 is better than a short barrel pistol.
(

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 02:55:40 AM
I am well aware! The problem is that larger caliber guns are just too heavy.. The Beretta 950 Jetfire is an excellent choice because it has a high mag capacity for it's size and it's pretty lightweight!
B

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 02:57:25 AM
yup a cell phone and small pistol (preferably a 2 shot .45 caliber for stopping power and lightness) would be the best, optional carry a Vic or a skeletool.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 03:17:18 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I have to say that I don't own a gun so that's out. I always seem to leave my cell phone at home. I need to remember it tonight. I forgot I carry a spare battery for the light on my hat. The "thrower" light I have been going with is a Surefire E2DL to spot things in the field. Car traffic is pretty light on these side roads so late at night. I have only seen 5 or 6 cars. 
"

us Offline Pacu

Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 03:43:10 AM
dress up like a clown. No one will come near you.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:47:52 AM
dress up like a clown. No one will come near you.
You never can tell that might attract some really strange persons. BTW I like your avatar pacu. I was just reminiscing about GI Joe last night with someone at work.   
"

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 03:56:04 AM
cel phone, reflective vest, a good wide road in a safe area, running partner, pepper spray, common sense (which i'm sure you have).  Leave the guns at home.  ;)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 04:02:23 AM
Hmm, I'd say a high powered light w/ strobe and a small frame pistol and a Beretta Jetfire (.25 cal). It holds 8 rounds in the mag and 1 in the chamber..

Love my little Beretta 950 Jetfire.  Very reliable pistol that has never failed to feed any kind of strange ammo stuffed into its mag.  Gotta love that tilt up barrel.

Nine rounds of pure .25 ACP knockdown power, baby!

When I carry that Jetfire in my back pocket, it gives me the feeling that I'm armed.  ;>

N

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 04:24:39 AM
cel phone, reflective vest, a good wide road in a safe area, running partner, pepper spray, common sense (which i'm sure you have).  Leave the guns at home.  ;)
The reflective vest is something I thought of getting and I think I'll get some pepper spay tomorrow.
"

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 04:27:39 AM
Here's what I used to do when I had to run at night.  Butt pack with cell phone, spare batteries for light.  I use just a headlamp.  If you're running at night, most animals will be terrified of you--you look like a big bad predator on the hunt.  If there are dogs on the loop, generally a loud "Go Home!" in command voice, will send them skittering away.  Running at night can be fun, but be careful--there's a much higher risk of ankle or knee injury.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%