Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why is your favorite brand of MT your favorite?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Why is your favorite brand of MT your favorite?
on: November 23, 2016, 05:52:27 PM
Just curious why everyone's favorite brand of tools is your personal favorite :cheers:

Is it because they are the best of the best for you?

Is it because they are easily obtainable/easy to buy?

Is it becasue they have the most options for you?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Why is your favorite brand of MT your favorite?
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 05:55:05 PM
My favorite brand is of course Leatherman with Victorinox coming in a close second :cheers:

I like that LM has so many different options and their tools fit me better than other brands :tu: They are also more easily found than just about any MT (well in my area anyways ;) ) They are tough tools and I know there are tools out there just as tough or tougher perhaps but they are tough enough for me and that is what I am after :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 06:02:25 PM
Leatherman for sure for me.  Why?  I'm a Tim groupie  :D.

I like many features that my favorite tools have.  Wave and Surge both have bit drivers, OHO knives, diamond files, and IMO good looks.  They are not without their warts but they have never let me down nor left me wanting ( much more ).

I like SAKs but having pliers is a must for my day to day needs. 

I wouldn't call a SAK a second place tool to my LM tho. 

My SAK is a must for my MT.  Batman and Robin, Lavern and Shirly, Fonz and Pinky Tuscadero, see what I'm saying? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 06:12:05 PM
I like them all, and could live just fine with anything from SOG to Gerber to Leatherman.  But my favorite is probably Victorinox.  I much prefer the outside opening tools, which is what God intended for mankind.  Victorinox is also the most elegantly and efficiently designed and manufactured IMO.  More tools in the same space, and smoother opening.  I love them all, but usually have a Spirit in my pocket.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 06:21:09 PM
Victorinox for me since the Spirit is my only big multi-tool... Got soo used to using Victorinox SAKs is the main reason I got the Spirit... tool density is the second reason... Had to save up a lot before I could purchase one.

But since I got the Squirt PS4, am now thinking of getting the Wave... black oxide if available...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 06:28:54 PM
Victorinox MTs for me also. The feel, the look and the tool set. But mostly, the way they feel so solid and of course the lifetime warranty.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 06:42:47 PM
Brand is irrelevant, it's no guarantee of success or failure. It's just that some companies make more of a habit of annoying or impressing me than others  :D

The Wave, Spirit, Diesel, MP600, Sideclip, and a few others are at the top of the heap, and what elevates this to perfection is having the right one of these in the right circumstances/situation. A Bar10der is a far better multitool than a Wave for making a cocktail, or even for cooking certain dishes, whilst the reverse is true for changing a lock. I don't give a crap what name is written on the side, it's either a good tool for me, or it's not.

:cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

fi Offline temo

Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 07:38:24 PM
Guarantee, easy to buy. Long term reliable brand. I have bought all tools from shop, not odered from internet. I have not thinked that as important but seems it is. And one of the most important as well own use experience. Though as customer can't have experience from all brands and tools. So stick with the brands those really work in MT area. But also open for newcomers.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 08:16:17 PM
Victorinox!

Quality, availability and sentimentality.

Availability:
More readily available then Wenger ever was, SOG, Gerber etc were unknown like 10 years ago.

Only time I held a Gerber mp400/600 was at a flea market stand that sold TSA lots... like 2 weeks ago.

Leatherman has broken quite through but used to be hard to find in my area.

Sentimentality:
Got a Vic from my parents as a child...

So Vic is my "love brand"
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:22:11 PM by Mechanickal »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 09:01:34 PM
Glad to have these opinions :tu: It is always interesting to see why a person carries a certain tool and this has given a good insight on a few of you :like:

Also I do like scissors on a MT and sometimes this is a make-or-break for me :cheers: Not always as I try and always carry a SAK with me that has scissors so that means I can carry all of the Supertool family and not be to bad as they have everything else that I might want :cheers:

So now thw question is what tool do you feel is most necessary for a MT to have when you buy one? :think:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:13 PM
A blade...

Bladeless? Not a chance.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2016, 10:03:44 PM
Tie between LM and Vic for me. Both good and bad about both that equal one another out.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2016, 10:09:05 PM
Tool (s) ? :

For me... Blade... it's the main reason for my EDC.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2016, 10:36:25 PM
So now thw question is what tool do you feel is most necessary for a MT to have when you buy one? :think:

Well this depends on the theme of the tool. For urban, no knife or saw is required, but Phillips and Pliers are. My SAK can handle the knife and scissors. Non locking blades tolerated.

For outdoors activities, for which I would include gardening as well as "away from home" pursuits, add a saw and an awl. Seperate OHO folder and or fixed blade handle the main knife tasks. Knife on the tool is optional, though possibly pair with a SAK for use in public areas.

For mechanical environments, or general domestic DIY, add a file. Bit kit compatibility boosts it up the rankings for main toolbag or grab bag usage Main toolbag can have locking knife blade, grab bag ideally should be knifeless - not for legal issues, but to squeeze other functionality in to maximise capability to volume.

For out of town travel, locking blade knives tolerated on comprehensive tools for bag carry, paired with more urban tools for exploring around and about the town/city/village I'm visiting.

For marine or work at heights add a lanyard ring. OHO knife blades come into play here too.

I don't consider only having one multitool anymore than I consider having one pair of shoes or coat.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: November 24, 2016, 12:45:55 AM
For my next MT buy, it's gotta at least have all the tools present on the spirit... at par if not better... gotta love that wire stripper/package opener tool... but mandatory have is pliers, phillips and scissors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 03:25:25 AM
Some very good answers guys and thanks for taking the time to do so :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :like:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 01:04:04 PM
Going back to the OP, Victorinox is my top brand of anything ever. They have an affordable high quality tool and they back it up confidently with the guarantee.

Moreover the way they seem to conduct their business and look after their staff and customers at a time where most other companies are on a race to the bottom is excellent. Victorinox show that a company can make money while keeping a loyal and well looked after workforce happy and please customers as well. No outsourcing to countries with no workers rights, no firing everyone when they bought Wenger out, no cutting corners as far as quality is concerned and standing by a tried and tested product.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 01:49:58 PM
Victorinox by far.

Flawless quality, perfect ergonomics and designs that tug at the heartstring.

Also decent prices and great tool setups.

Noone comes even close.

The Spirit is the perfect MT and the Tinker and Rogue are my go-to tools for ages...

Plus I'm a sucker for the silver and red cross shield.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

fi Offline temo

Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 02:57:11 PM
Did not mention brands but LM, ex wenger and vic so LM and vic. Leatherman after ST have upper hand for me. Vic with alox has raised points to close.

Tools I like are blade, philips, flat, pliers, awl, combo tools (other then combo knife which I do not like), all locking blades, file. If I would have just one tool, I would carry just that one tool. Currently carry most limited edc, freestyle. Let's see how that goes. So keychain is taking care of other tasks then blade and pliers.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 03:31:15 PM
Leatherman for me, mostly older ones although I do like the Rebar and New Supertool as well. The PST was my first and only MT for almost 20 years and it never let me down. I  the have come to appreciate the Victorinox Alox like the Farmer and Pioneer in the last year or so.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 03:32:50 PM by SteveC »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 04:11:11 PM
Victorinox

Is it because they are the best of the best for you?

Yes, indeed. Maybe I'm just accustomed to Victorinox tools since I use them for 30+ years in a row. But also because I am not a handyman by proffession or by hobby, so I need tools for relatively light tasks and there's no reason to carry a heavy duty pliers based tool around (not that Vic hasn't that too).

Is it because they are easily obtainable/easy to buy?

Yes, they are sold everywhere. For years Leatherman was just a legend for me, I remember in the Army when Chinook pilots and engineers had the original Leatherman on their belt. They bought them during their NATO training trips to the US. I drooled and I am very grateful I EDC something better (the Spirit of course).
Then came the internet and now you may have anything, some stores even sell Leatherman and SOG tools near my house too, but at a significantly higher price than a decent Victorinox.

Is it becasue they have the most options for you?

Yes, I always prefered many layered SAKs and used the Swisschamp and then the XLT. Now I carry the Spirit, with the Swisschamp in the car and the XLT at my bedside (I might buy a Skinth to EDC it again with my Skeletool for pliers, that's a task for 2017). Anyway, they have the most tools at a usable and handable size and they are usually the best one can find, from the toothpick to the hook.

Also: Victorinox has the prettiest, better crafted, shiniest, fanciest, most ergonomic, functional, legendary, archetypic, universal, timeless, collectible, intimate, with the better aesthetics, acoustics, tactility, design, quality, cost effectiveness, affordability, variety, recognizability, sensibility, funcionality, affectivity. You name it, they have it.

I also like some specimens from other brands. Some Mora knives, some Opinel (Jardin mostly), Leatherman Charge/Wave/Surge, Spyderco Endura/Delica/Ladybug, SOG's leverage patent (but nothing else), Wenger's 130mm line. But from Victorinox I like almost everything. I also like their bags (I have 6) and their clothes (I have none, I don't own a yaght).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:15:39 PM by kkokkolis »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 04:13:33 PM
Leatherman for me, mostly older ones although I do like the Rebar and New Supertool as well. The PST was my first and only MT for almost 20 years and it never let me down. I  the have come to appreciate the Victorinox Alox like the Farmer and Pioneer in the last year or so.

This is pretty much me as well but I also enjoy the cellidor line :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 04:14:38 PM
There have been some great really in depth answers peeps and so far some very compelling arguments from a couple different sides :like: :like: :like:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 05:49:14 PM
For multis, Leatherman is an easy choice. They have so many models, variations to collect and hunt for. They are modified-able. I also like US-made products. One thing I do not like is how they have been cutting corners in product quality. Leatherman used to have more polished blades and edges (ST, PST, or as recent as Charge Ti...). I recently acquired a 25th anniversary Wave. I also have Wingmans and an array of Juice models. Obviously, LM can take on Vic in their own game, but they seem to choose not to. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 08:59:32 PM
For multis, Leatherman is an easy choice. They have so many models, variations to collect and hunt for. They are modified-able. I also like US-made products. One thing I do not like is how they have been cutting corners in product quality. Leatherman used to have more polished blades and edges (ST, PST, or as recent as Charge Ti...). I recently acquired a 25th anniversary Wave. I also have Wingmans and an array of Juice models. Obviously, LM can take on Vic in their own game, but they seem to choose not to.

LM has many different types of MTs but Vic has 2 different MTs with different configurations and that is something I wished that LM would do with a few of there models as well :tu: That would put them ahead of the game plus I do also wish that they would tighten there QC again :cheers:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 09:55:24 PM

LM has many different types of MTs but Vic has 2 different MTs with different configurations and that is something I wished that LM would do with a few of there models as well :tu: That would put them ahead of the game plus I do also wish that they would tighten there QC again :cheers:
There is obviously a market targetting modders there. Someone needs to offer:
- Standard torx screw replacement
- Round blank to align holes of plier head and chasis to help the torx nut go thru the hole easier (quite a PITA trying to line them up). Better yet, a tool modding fixture.
- Blade, scissors... with different style, material, and profile readily to be installed on the chassis with minimal or none modification, basically the SOG way.

This is a promising business model that has not been tapped in yet (No, TTC is not serious enough with just a handful of damascus blades and wooden scales)

:salute: :salute: :salute:

ca Offline Walley

Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 12:35:52 AM
I started with SAK and carried one 7days a week for maybe 20yrs. I would switch up between ones with scissors and one with pliers and a saw was a necessity for me at that time.
I switched to Leatherman when i changed jobs and found i needed more substantial pliers and a bit adapter for regular sized hex bits. I have various leatherman that i may switch up on certain occassions but generally if im wearing pants..i wearing my Wave. If im not wearing pants then i dont want anything that sharpe too close to me anyways. :whistle:
My most recent purchase (that has yet to arrive) is  going to be my new daily side-arm for work. Its a leatherman surge, so im not planning on carrying it in my time off due to the weight and i will start packing SAKs again as well.
I have looked at Gerber and SOG many times but never found one that matched my needs as well as Leatherman and Victorinox. If they charged 2x as much $ i will still buy them.
Im into quality tools. And after much research and time I have upgraded my entire tool bag (including the bag itself!) To the best that i could find.
Of course my MT has to be the ultimate!

us Offline gregpost

Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 11:57:55 PM
Leatherman is my favorite, but Victorinox is my first love.

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 02:06:26 AM
I have been with the Leatherman brand since the early days.  Victorinox is special because they are so darn precision and perfectly made.  Gerber is ok, I still have my first Gerber from about 1989/1990.

us Offline radioactive_Man

Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 02:39:13 AM
Definitely Victorinox.

My first knife was a SAK. My favorite tool is a Vic Swiss Spirit. There's absolutely no comparison in quality, or usability. Leathernans are great MT's if you need to carry one, but I would carry a Vic even if I didn't need to. The smooth click when you open a tool brings a smile to my face every time.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%