Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why you shouldn't play with swords at the mall

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Why you shouldn't play with swords at the mall
on: February 02, 2007, 09:50:21 PM
This one is funny because I go to this mall every day as part of my job.

Sword-swinger terrorizes shoppers
Man subdued after stealing weapon from mall kiosk
By CHRIS LAMBIE Staff Reporter

Shoppers fled with their tots in tow Thursday afternoon when a man stole a sword from a kiosk in the Halifax Shopping Centre and started swinging the weapon at shoppers.

Halifax Regional Police took a 28-year-old man into custody and he is to appear in Halifax provincial court today. Police weren’t sure Thursday night what charges he would face, Staff Sgt. Jim Butler said.

The man was taken to hospital after police used a stun gun to subdue him, Staff Sgt. Butler said.

"He was very distraught and taken into custody," he said.

"But as far as if he had an issue with somebody, that hasn’t been determined at this point."

The incident started at the House of Knives, where a man punched a glass case and removed a large, shiny sword.

"He started waving it around and twirling it over his head," one eyewitness said.

"He was also dragging it on the ground and making this horrible scraping noise."

The man sounded like he was trying to confront someone, she said.

"He was going, ‘Come on, come on.’ He sounded like he was yelling at someone, like he was already in a fight. And he kept swearing."

The eyewitness, who did not want to be named, backed away from the man.

"I tried not to make eye contact," she said.

"I thought he was going to hurt someone."

Word circulating at the mall Thursday night was the swordsman was going after some men who had been picking on him, she said.

"He didn’t do anything to them; he just went down toward the escalators."

The man then ran back to where he had stolen the 1.5-metre sword, grabbed his bag and jacket from the floor and headed toward Sears.

"He just ran down the hallway swinging the sword," said Arran Thorpe, who works at Birks.

Police got the call at 5:35 p.m. and were on the scene in about a minute.

"There were all kinds of cops and they were running and had their batons out and Tasers ready to go," Mr. Thorpe said.

"It was crazy."

The man waved the sword at shoppers as he walked through the mall, Staff Sgt. Butler said.

"Nobody was hurt, nobody was struck," he said.

The swordsman came within three metres of one shopper.

"Security at the mall were trying to get behind him but they couldn’t get near him because he was just swinging like mad," said the man, who didn’t want his name used. "I don’t know what the hell he was on."

The 47-year-old eyewitness ducked under the escalator to avoid the swordsman.

"I don’t like walking home with my head under my arm," he said.

People sought shelter in nearby stores.

"A lady (and her young son) came running in the store yelling at me to close the doors right away — there was a crazy guy down the hallway swinging his sword that he apparently stole from one of the knife places," said Roger Bosch, who works at Athletes World.

"There were a lot of people running in every direction after she came in. The next thing you know, all the stores started closing the doors and people started running like it was a bomb threat or something."

Security and police were quickly on the scene, said another eyewitness who watched the arrest.

"He was swinging (the sword) at a lot of people — swinging randomly," he said.

"He was coming awfully close to anybody who was nearby."

The swordsman, who was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and jeans, was yelling at police, who located him near a mall exit beside Sears.

"They drew guns on him and they eventually Tasered him and incapacitated him," said the eyewitness, who also spoke on condition of anonymity.

"They took him out on a stretcher," Mr. Bosch said.

Stores in the mall reopened soon afterward.

"We were only delayed for about 13 minutes," Mr. Bosch said.

The incident left shoppers and store staffers shaken.

"A lot of people were very jittery," Mr. Bosch said.

The manager at the House of Knives refused to comment.

"Apparently the sword isn’t sharpened, but it’s still big and heavy," the female eyewitness said.

http://www.herald.ns.ca/Front/556560.html

And no, it wasn't me!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Why you shouldn't play with swords at the mall
Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 03:23:28 AM
Drugs probably.  I don't know about Canada, but down here if someone had knocked him to the ground and "subdued" him, they'd be arrested, sued by the insane sword guy, and thrown in jail. 

And if the insane sword guy had gutted someone, he would have pled insanity and gotten 6 months of treatment.

[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 03:42:02 AM
I think the guy was suicidal and after Death By Cop.

Looks like another thing in life he screwed up!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:00:48 PM
Hmmph. If this happened in my area, the left-wing local newspaper would act as judge, jury, and executioner, and would place the majority of blame on the poor knife store owner! After all, what business does he have selling sharp objects in a location that is frequented by people?   ::)

Our newspaper has a very firm position on this sort of thing: There is no such thing as a bad person, only bad inanimate objects.  :P

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 12:33:30 AM
I'm just glad that the local politicians don't feel like trying something silly like passing a law against carrying a sword in public.

Def

Offline bobofish

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 01:54:59 AM
Hey now. I'm a lefty, and I believe in two kinds of people: complete idiots, and those who have to deal with those idiots.

Hopefully I'm in the latter group, rather than the former.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 04:04:24 AM
Hey now. I'm a lefty, and I believe in two kinds of people: complete idiots, and those who have to deal with those idiots.

Hopefully I'm in the latter group, rather than the former.

Sorry bobofish, I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with liberal politics. It's just that these local newspaper guys are so radically far out in their thinking, that in most cases they've lost their impartiality. Instead of just reporting the news to their readers, they tend to "interpret" the news. It ain't right.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline bobofish

Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 10:10:41 AM
It's all about ratings. They do whatever sells more papers. Do you honestly think OJ's trial mattered one hoot?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 11:44:05 AM
Not to me it didn't... that's why I started Multitool.org, not OJForums.com!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%