Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Website for Finding Multitools Based on Tools Needed

Offline kenftbm

Website for Finding Multitools Based on Tools Needed
on: December 02, 2016, 05:09:50 PM
I've built a website that I SHOULD TALK TO THIS SITE'S OWNER ABOUT BEFORE PROMOTING HERE

You enter all the tools you want your multitool to have and it finds the closest matches.

The range of different tools you can get on these things is mind-boggling so I've listed the most common ones first and you can type in any less common ones or progressively show them.

If anyone knows other brands or other information they think I should add that would be very useful.

Any feedback at all would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:02:51 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Website for Finding Multitools Based on Tools Needed
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:22:32 PM
Welcome to the forum    :cheers:

Your link isn't working. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 08:46:51 PM
Welcome to :MTO:

It might be best to not start out with links to your own website without asking our site owner :tu:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 02:36:05 AM
Brilliant. Sounds like some good information, allot of peeps would really like that  :tu:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:54:07 AM
With the knowledge and skills of our membership here I'll bet we could crank something like that (and better) in short order.

Any volunteers?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline kenftbm

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 03:26:08 PM
Sorry, I thought the site would be of interest to members.

I'm happy to discuss promoting the site here. Does this forum have a private message function?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 03:33:34 PM
You need 5 posts to Private message.  Maybe start by introducing yourself in the new member forum   :cheers:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 03:33:56 PM

I'm happy to discuss promoting the site here. Does this forum have a private message function?

Yep, private messaging is available to any member with 5 or more posts.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 04:02:08 PM

It probably would be, but perhaps you would like to read through THIS THREAD to properly understand why your link was removed.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline kenftbm

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 04:42:23 PM
Hi, thanks for the information.

I can understand why the link was removed, though I don't see that I'm asking for much from members.

In what way do you expect someone to 'give something back'? I've designed and built a tool for finding multitools. You can use it without buying anything. Doesn't that count?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 05:00:13 PM
If you really want to go into this in public that's fine, but I'd suggest that a private discussion would be better for you.

In short, you are promoting your site here, and we do not approve of outside individuals or agencies using what we have built for their own gain.  I know how Amazon links works, I know the benefits you reap from having links from an established site like this, and I know that a relatively new site like your linking back to us (which you aren't even doing) does us little benefit but would at least be somewhat respectful.

So in short, you stand to benefit from posting your link here, but what is in it for the members here?  You are attempting to use them like cattle- get them to shop on Amazon using your site as a base so that when they buy what they want you get paid for it.

You aren't the first guy to play this game here, and I am not as fresh off the turnip truck as I may seem.  But hey, if you want to keep pushing in public on my site, it can only improve your chances of success, right?

Def

Offline kenftbm

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 05:36:12 PM
Hi Grant

I'm happy to discuss privately as I mentioned above but I don't have the facility to use private messages.

A link from a forum site is worth very little (possibly nothing) in terms of SEO. If you are bothered about that set your links to nofollow. I hadn't even considered that aspect to be honest.

As for what's in it for the members ... a resource to help them find multitools. Are you saying that's of no interest to your members? Obviously if people use my site and buy stuff that's of benefit to me but I am happy to suggest they look for better deals than the Amazon links there. They can use the site without it benefiting me. And if members get no benefit then neither do I. Surely that's a pretty fair two-way deal, no? What's the problem?

I am somewhat bemused by your moralistic stance considering the amount of promotional emails I received as a new member. Is this a non-profit enterprise?

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 05:51:03 PM
Hi Grant

I'm happy to discuss privately as I mentioned above but I don't have the facility to use private messages.

A link from a forum site is worth very little (possibly nothing) in terms of SEO. If you are bothered about that set your links to nofollow. I hadn't even considered that aspect to be honest.

As for what's in it for the members ... a resource to help them find multitools. Are you saying that's of no interest to your members? Obviously if people use my site and buy stuff that's of benefit to me but I am happy to suggest they look for better deals than the Amazon links there. They can use the site without it benefiting me. And if members get no benefit then neither do I. Surely that's a pretty fair two-way deal, no? What's the problem?

I am somewhat bemused by your moralistic stance considering the amount of promotional emails I received as a new member. Is this a non-profit enterprise?

You're confused as to why you got promotional emails from a website you joined of your own volition? Not much anyone can do to help you through that I'd say.

I think you know very well that without exposure you have no chance of making a nickel off your site, so you come here looking to gain said exposure.
Nothing wrong with that, assuming you use the proper channels and pay for the privilege of advertising here, as you would anywhere else, online or otherwise. As for the issue of private messaging; perhaps the idea is to actually behave like a contributing member of the forum and make a measly 5 posts before peddling your wares on Grant's front porch. You could have easily looked around to gauge the climate here and determine what your rights were as a basic member vis-Ă -vis advertising. You're not going to find anywhere that doesn't have similar rules, so don't pretend like this is unreasonable. And also please consider that this is the multitool community. It's worth the entrance fee to reach this crowd.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 05:59:39 PM
So you admit to getting a financial benefit from having a link here?  Then try to cast doubt on me to gloss over it.

I'd like to point out that any other forum would have banned you and deleted your posts long before now, but that's not the way we do things.

What promotional emails have you gotten from the site?  I sent a newsletter the other day, and haven't sent one since October.  If an email every two months is that distressing to you then you can easily unsubscribe from them- the choice is yours.

The point of that other thread was, plan and simple to explain that a lot of time and effort (and money) has gone into developing and building a site like this, and I have yet to see any benefit to handing it over that resource to you (or anyone else) so that you may benefit, with nothing being returned.  I would be very surprised to hear that anyone here is not aware of Amazon, so what you are suggesting might be your "service" is not really of any significant value.

You have reached 5 posts and are now able to send Private Messages if you like.

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 06:02:10 PM
Hi Grant

I may be out of line but I would like to step in here and say that I feel confident that Grant is not running this website for his own personal financial success. He has operating costs just like you do and he has to cover those somehow. Part of that is requiring a fee to advertise here. I think you will quickly find that he is a well-liked guy around here and none of us question his passion for multitools as being the reason that he runs this site and that starting off by publicly arguing with him about forum rules and policy on the forum is not exactly the best way to build a good reputation around here. Whether your intentions are for good or bad (hopefully good), work it out with him over PM, now that you have over 5 posts (or will shortly). I'm sure that you can come to a resolution that way. It's ok in my mind not to agree with a policy and make it known, but using your first few posts to criticize our head turd polisher doesn't exactly get you off on the right foot with us as members.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 06:03:49 PM
 :popcorn:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 06:18:21 PM

Offline kenftbm

Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 06:19:07 PM
I offered to privately discuss advertising on the site. I'm not sure what the problem is really.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 06:20:42 PM
I offered to privately discuss advertising on the site. I'm not sure what the problem is really.

Apology accepted.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 06:31:38 PM
As I have not received any message from you, I have sent you one in case you aren't familiar with how this forum does that.  At the top of your screen next to "My Messages" you will now see (1).  Click on My Messages and it will take you to it, assuming the forum doesn't automatically prompt you to check them.

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 06:39:07 PM
Hope yall can come to some sort of agreement or at least work things out with no hard feelings in the end. :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 06:45:44 PM
Agreed- I am going to lock this one now, assuming there are no reservations.  I see no point in continuing to bring this back up.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%